Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is there demand for redump's Wii .dat file?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So apparently access to Wii dumps and their related information is gated so only members with dumper status can access them. As such, I would assume a lot of people are not able to verify their Wii dumps using CleanRip's .dat file feature. My question is, would you guys like access to an up-to-date version of redump's Wii .dat file? Or is this something that's pretty readily available to those interested already?
I'd like to know whether my Kirby's Dream Collection ripped successfully, as I can't find a checksum for it anywhere. TOSEC doesn't have a Wii database, either.
crc="780fdad9"
md5="2f584b2a7ea6b20ebd0c61a811db8248"
sha1="598ec9e2a29ae82ed04a4a4c0c261fb80c3f82e5"
There's no need to use checksums for wii discs, they have built-in security that can be used to check integrity. Dolphin even has a "Check Partition Integrity" option to do it for you.
I don't know about you, but for me a program like md5sum seems to run faster than Dolphin's integrity check for Wii discs on the Wii games I have dumped. The problem is as the OP stated (hashes not widely available, or weak Google-Fu skills) so googling in the end doesn't become any faster than waiting on Dolphin.

But even if you have a borked hash, it won't mean the disc is unplayable or noticeably corrupted. Dolphin's integrity check will let you know if it's alright, which is an incredibly helpful feature versus a simple hash.

EDIT: For clarity, I actually re-tested my statement (always doubt yourself, verify for accuracy). Apparently, Dolphin wasn't really a speed-demon when it came to checking Wii disc integrity when I first tried it (I distinctly recall my SMG2 dump taking upwards of 1:30 to complete, not so much now) but it seems tied with md5sum for its hash generation (Dolphin's hash generation is slower than either, though). So advantage integrity checks.
It's slower because it's a more complicated algorithm (SHA1+RSA vs. crc/md5/sha1), but the deciding factor will likely be the disk transfer rate rather than cpu power required. Regardless it's still much likely faster (and easier) than hunting down the matching hash yourself.

Another advantage is that with the right program, the built-in disc signing can be used to narrow down exactly which sector(s) is bad.
I don't think disk transfer rates alone would explain why older versions of Dolphin took so long compared to the latest ones (all hardware on my end for testing is the same as last time, and the time it takes to verify in Dolphin is less than half of what I previously recorded). Disk integrity seems to only be faster by a few seconds however than md5sum. I could hack up CLI utility hooked up to my own database (i.e. a big text file) which theoretically would be faster than going through Dolphin (since it obviates having to waste time starting the GUI and manually navigating to the integrity check), but by that same measure, so would a CLI utility that simply checks things like Dolphin does.
(02-17-2015, 12:38 PM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]There's no need to use checksums for wii discs, they have built-in security that can be used to check integrity. Dolphin even has a "Check Partition Integrity" option to do it for you.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about this. Will .gcz'ed images still pass the partition integrity check though?

I'm thinking I'll still prefer checking hashes though as it seems to take less time. Checking the integrity of the GAME partition for Skyward Sword took almost 5 minutes.

(02-17-2015, 02:13 PM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless it's still much likely faster (and easier) than hunting down the matching hash yourself.

Not necessarily because if you had the .dat files for the Wii dumps, you could have CleanRip verify the rips automatically. Smile
Here's the latest Wii .dat file from redump.org:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6425...-40%29.zip

--EDIT--
Please go here for up-to-date .dat files:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-re...i-dat-file
(02-21-2015, 08:46 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: [ -> ]Not necessarily because if you had the .dat files for the Wii dumps, you could have CleanRip verify the rips automatically. Smile
Futhermore, it's much easier to verify your backups by running them all through a generic hashing utility at once than to check them in Dolphin one by one. Thanks for posting the database.
Pages: 1 2