Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: State of OpenAL?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've seen OpenAL getting a few updates recently.  I just started considering it because I would like to be able to play with DPII sound.

Is OpenAL now comparable to XAudio2 in terms of performance and accuracy?
Is DPII decoding comparable with the original console?

Thanks.
Better question: Does xaudio support DPII (likely) and if so why doesn't our xaudio backend do so?
As far as I know, you can get DPII sound with XAudio2 by using DSP LLE and a digital connection (HDMI, S/PDIF, etc) to a compatible audio receiver...
In the last day or two I did a quick test with OpenAL and experienced some sound crackling and occasional sudden decreases in sound level, so I've stopped playing with it.

Maybe a more basic question is in order:
Does the DPII feature in dolphin means that the backend decodes the signal and outputs 5.1 audio?

Ultimately, DPII signals are 2-channel. I have my gaming PC connected to my A/V receiver via HDMI.
If I just use DSP HLE with XAudio2, shouldn't that output the original DPII encoded signal so that my receiver can decode it?

I'll do some tests as soon as I can but I may already have DPII sounds and haven't noticed because I've spent more time setting dolphin up and testing it than actually playing games.
> Does the DPII feature in dolphin means that the backend decodes the signal and outputs 5.1 audio?
Yes. This requires the backlend to be able to get a suround output stream. Just not implemented on our side (hint: easy task). The code to decode the stereo data is already done.

> If I just use DSP HLE with XAudio2, shouldn't that output the original DPII encoded signal so that my receiver can decode it?
In theory yes, but I haven't tried it.
(01-20-2015, 03:10 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]> Does the DPII feature in dolphin means that the backend decodes the signal and outputs 5.1 audio?
Yes. This requires the backlend to be able to get a suround output stream. Just not implemented on our side (hint: easy task). The code to decode the stereo data is already done.

> If I just use DSP HLE with XAudio2, shouldn't that output the original DPII encoded signal so that my receiver can decode it?
In theory yes, but I haven't tried it.

OK.  I just tested it (DSP HLE + XAudio2) and I can't get anything out of the rear speakers.  My computer is set up for 5.1 audio and I get surround sound in PC games, just not with Dolphin.  The receiver only detects the signal as 5.1 PCM because that what the computer is outputing so maybe there is something I need to do differently in the PC end.
Have you tried DSP LLE?
Well, my ignorance had prevailed...

My receiver will not apply DPII logic on any source other than 2-channel, so I need to set the output of the audio processor to stereo when playing dolphin. I need to test it out later and figure out how to automate that.

I have not delved much into LLE because of the performance hit and because I would rather let my receiver do the decoding.
Like I said before, if I remember correctly, you can only get the original DPII encoded signal from XAudio2 if you use DSP LLE. Otherwise, just stick with OpenAL. Is there any reason to not use OpenAL?
(01-20-2015, 10:09 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said before, if I remember correctly, you can only get the original DPII encoded signal from XAudio2 if you use DSP LLE. Otherwise, just stick with OpenAL. Is there any reason to not use OpenAL?

OpenAL: I'm open to it.  It's just that I tested it briefly and found sound artifacts (audio volume dips) and some crackling.  Also, it would be better to offload the decoding time to the a/v receiver and take advantage of its listening mode capabilities.  

I've also heard that OpenAL DPII decoding is still a work in progress but I don't know firsthand.

I'll check about LLE vs HLE but clearly the drawback there is LLE's performance degradation.

Thanks for your tips.
Pages: 1 2 3