Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Anyone have a i5-4690k based build they can share?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings,

I'm interested in building my first PC specifically for Dolphin (but will use it for other emulators as well). I've never built one before and I'm lost with all the options. All I know is I want to use an i5-4690k just in case I want to OC. I'd like a medium sized case and I'm not necessarily looking for liquid cooled to keep the price down. Anyone have any configurations they can share so I can get started? pcpartpicker.com helps but it's quite overwhelming. Since I can't buy local I don't want to be stuck with something I have to ship back. Any advice would be appreciated.
Here are some of mine I'm sitting on:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nrmgator/saved/6KgPxr
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nrmgator/saved/njx2FT

You can always add a GTX 970 if you want better graphics.
I'm currently running a G3258 @ 4.6ghz and a GTX 660. I can run Mario Galaxy 2 full speed with 3-4x internal resolution. The G3258 can be had for as little as $100 with a Z97 MSI motherboard from microcenter (fantastic deal). I instead run a asrock h97 itx board with overclocking abilities, wifi and Bluetooth.

I am able to play max Payne 3, Borderlands the pre-sequel and other sub 2013-14 games very well. Currently I'm considering an upgrade to a 970 just for gaming outside of dolphin.

This summer I sold my 4670k, motherboard and second 660 to save some money and reduce my case footprint. Haven't looked back
Yeah, its preferable to get a g3258 rather than the costly i5 to save money. Whereas, the g3258 is comparable to the stp of i7's when overclocked.
(01-14-2015, 03:58 AM)ZL580 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently running a G3258 @ 4.6ghz and a GTX 660.  I can run Mario Galaxy 2 full speed with 3-4x internal resolution.  The G3258 can be had for as little as $100 with a Z97 MSI motherboard from microcenter (fantastic deal).  I instead run a asrock h97 itx board with overclocking abilities, wifi and Bluetooth.

I am able to play max Payne 3, Borderlands the pre-sequel and other sub 2013-14 games very well.  Currently I'm considering an upgrade to a 970 just for gaming outside of dolphin.  

This summer I sold my 4670k, motherboard and second 660 to save some money and reduce my case footprint.  Haven't looked back

Of course the microcenter by me is out of the motherboard. Since the bundle can only be picked up in store, I am out of luck for that deal. Bummer. I wonder what the chances are that the MB will come back in stock. The bundle has been around since last summer. Anyone know if they are phasing that MB out?
(01-14-2015, 03:58 AM)ZL580 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently running a G3258 @ 4.6ghz and a GTX 660.  I can run Mario Galaxy 2 full speed with 3-4x internal resolution.  The G3258 can be had for as little as $100 with a Z97 MSI motherboard from microcenter (fantastic deal).  I instead run a asrock h97 itx board with overclocking abilities, wifi and Bluetooth.

I am able to play max Payne 3, Borderlands the pre-sequel and other sub 2013-14 games very well.  Currently I'm considering an upgrade to a 970 just for gaming outside of dolphin.  

This summer I sold my 4670k, motherboard and second 660 to save some money and reduce my case footprint.  Haven't looked back

Are you running with the stock cooler that came with the g3258 or something more powerful? Running at 4.6ghz I would be nervous running the stock cooler that came with.
It's specified to keep the top of the line consumer chips cool enough, and they produce a lot more heat at stock than a Pentium, even overclocked. It's actually fine.
Im running a H80i on mine @ 4.6 and 1.3v. But I was using stock heatsink/fan and was able to get stability and safe temps at 4.3-4.4 (cant remember). I had the H80i laying around and I thought what the hell lets see what I can do with it. I could go higher than 4.6 but I am reaching the point of high voltage with diminishing returns

I would suggest checking stock on the PC Mate motherboard every day or so, last time I was at my local microcenter (2-3 weeks ago) there was a ton of them on the shelf.

As a side note, I was only able to reach 4.3 with a coolermaster hyper 212 with my old 4670k. In theory my current G3258 @ 4.6 should outperform that.

I love this little bastard.
(01-14-2015, 11:19 AM)ZL580 Wrote: [ -> ]Im running a H80i on mine @ 4.6 and 1.3v.  But I was using stock heatsink/fan and was able to get stability and safe temps at 4.3-4.4 (cant remember).  I had the H80i laying around and I thought what the hell lets see what I can do with it.  I could go higher than 4.6 but I am reaching the point of high voltage with diminishing returns

I would suggest checking stock on the PC Mate motherboard every day or so, last time I was at my local microcenter (2-3 weeks ago) there was a ton of them on the shelf.

As a side note, I was only able to reach 4.3 with a coolermaster hyper 212 with my old 4670k.  In theory my current G3258 @ 4.6 should outperform that.

I love this little bastard.

Your system sounds exactly what I am looking to build. Would you mind telling me what size power supply you have and what Chassis you're using to house all the components?
I have an i5 4690k overclock to 4.0 ghz. I also bought a $15 dollar T2 cooler. I'm at 31-35 idle. Stress testing is around 60 degrees. Playing dolphin or any game actually 40-45 degrees. And you do need a graphics card. I used to have a an i5 3570k with 7970 graphics and played dolphin smoothly. Then I sold the 7970 and went to the onboard graphics and I couldn't play dragon ball which isnt that intense. I think any 100 dollar video card should be able to play dolphin smoothly. If you get a a $100 graphics card then 500 watts power supply is good enough. No graphics card 400 watts is good. High end graphics 600 watts and up. Dual graphics is when you need 700 watts and up. And for the case why would you care what other people have you should look around and see which one you like there are 100s of cases out there. And if money is not an issue I would just get the i5. I would never go back to two cores again unless my system died and I needed one to just use for the time being.
Pages: 1 2