Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is this memory leak or this is how dolphin works?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm currently playing(a lot of hours a day)Tales of Symphina and little by little the ram usage goes higher and higher.
I'm usually done playing for the day when it reach 2gb used ram.
I have plenty of ram to spare but is this normal?

And when I exit the game(not the emulator)when the ram usage is high,the ram usage is reduced but it's still taking a lot more than restarting it.

I'm using 4.0-4647(I started playing the game(I have 60 hours of gameplay till now)with this version and I kinda want to finish it with that version)

I'm using the default settings(1.5 internal resolution and no graphical enhancements)and dual core mode is not enabled(it behaves in a weird way and I don't really need it...I have at least 3x the normal speed when I remove the speed limit)
It was probably fixed in one of the builds after that, as I do remember an issue like that that was fixed.

Go grab the latest dev build from here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/ There's really no reason not to upgrade versions, since your settings and save files are saved in a global location and get used by all the versions. It'll also be faster and fix that dual core issue probably. You can also increase the IR the like 4x on the 750 Ti
I tried 4.0-4909 couple of hours ago but I didn't played the game long enough on it to see if the problem still exist(it kinda looked like it was still there(the ram usage was increasing little by little)).

And about the dual core problem...nope,it's still there.
If the DC is enabled,it will force the cpu to run constantly at max speed(3.9ghz)and there will be much higher core usage compared to when DC is not enabled(I already created a thread about this)

And about the IR...well I don't see a difference big enough to make the gpu do more work(1.5 or 2x max is enough for me...I have 17inch old crt monitor running at 1024x768)

Edit:I'm using it in portable mode so the settings are in the emulator folder and I was wondering what is the correct way to update(this is the first time I'm using emulator with so many files...around 300 excluding the games settings)
Grab 4.0-4922, as it has some compatibility changes.

To "undo" portability mode, delete the portable.txt file and copy the contents of the User folder into the Dolphin Folder located in Documents (you can make the folder yourself, or open and close Dolphin to make it for you and delete the contents so there are no conflicts)

Oh yeah, I remember that thread. The Intel Driver updates didn't fix the issue, right?

When running at different IR numbers, you always want to be higher than the resolution you're running at. This is because it's better to render at a higher resolution and downsample than render at a lower resolution and upscale. It also looks nicer, even on a 720p monitor.
I created that portable.txt file because I want the program to save all the things he uses in the dolphin folder(which is on my hdd and the windows is on my ssd(where documents is also is)).

I just tried the latest beta but sadly it's acting the exact same way in dc mode.
The third image is how it runs in single core mode when I force the cpu to run at 3.5ghz

Tales of Symphonia the screen where I load my save
I've never seen that happen before. Since the software fixes don't help, look for an update your the BIOS to your motherboard, as there could be an issue with that.
It's with the latest version.
pcsx2 in dual core mode(mtvu)doesn't behave like that,ppsspp with multithreaded enabled is also fine,only Dolphin does that Huh

I just tried all of the official versions but it's working the same way on all of them
We purposefully have a memory leak with textures for right now until locking is implemented.
Ok,then this answers the thread question.

And I just asked a person which have pc almost identical to mine(i7 4770 and another brand of gtx750ti but with windows 8)and he said he also have the same problem with dual core enabled.
Basically, we don't invalidate textures in EFB2Texture because if we do, you'll get graphical bugs when a game calls them back up. So, it's either: Let texture accumulate forever or B: Break several games on EFB2Texture and force people to use much slower settings.
Pages: 1 2