Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Anti-Aliasing/new issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys.

I have a question for the Anti-Aliasing option. How do I configure it? I'm not sure what to choose from the options in that big list. I'm currently playing Paper Mario: A Thousand Years Door. So not sure, what I need to configure to have the HD textures. Or am I expecting too much from it, and Dolphin won't improve really the actual gamecube game? As Gamecube never had the hd resolution.
(12-28-2014, 10:01 AM)truthless Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys.

I have a question for the Anti-Aliasing option. How do I configure it? I'm not sure what to choose from the options in that big list. I'm currently playing Paper Mario: A Thousand Years Door. So not sure, what I need to configure to have the HD textures. Or am I expecting too much from it, and Dolphin won't improve really the actual gamecube game? As Gamecube never had the hd resolution.

2D graphics can not be upscaled to a high res with good results, they need filtering instead. Only 3d graphics can upscale well.

Edit: I was slow Sad ...
Thank you for the fast reply. And thanks for the proper explanation. I'm a bit new to the program^^.

So basically... A 2D game like Paper Mario won't really receive HD just through Dolphin, right? So I have to download extra textures. But do I also need that in games like The Wind Waker? (I saw a HD video for Wind Waker on Dolphin).

I downloaded the hd textures and tried to enter the region of the disc. Does it mean the folder direction? Nothing I typed worked yet. Not sure, if I missunderstood something. Also I didn't really get the <e> for Europe. Do I need to type that before I type the folder of the disc? Damn I'm confused.

Edit: No probs Link. Thank you, you basically answered my Wind Waker question.
This is a fake bump (deleted my earlier post)... The below post was responding to the original text of the OP (which has since changed, but oh well...)

The graphics you're talking about are textures. The resolution will "stay the same" the same way 2D games on other emulators linearly scale the graphics (resulting in "blockiness" or pixelation). Only 3D graphics can be rendered at a higher resolution, which in Paper Mario is usually just the environments. You'll need a Paper Mario:TTYD HD Texture Pack (which contains textures already made at a higher resolution than the Gamecube's) if you want all of your textures to look nice.

We actually have one for this game here -> https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-pa...er-19-2014

For example, title screen you're looking at -> http://i.minus.com/idfRUqhNWJy8u.png
The title screen you could be looking at -> http://i.minus.com/ibgKyTKJKzwjis.png

Quote:I have a question for the Anti-Aliasing option. How do I configure it? I'm not sure what to choose from the options in that big list. I'm currently playing Paper Mario: A Thousand Years Door. So not sure, what I need to configure to have the HD textures. Or am I expecting too much from it, and Dolphin won't improve really the actual gamecube game? As Gamecube never had the hd resolution.

You need to put those textures in your Dolphin folder. It should be under My Documents (on Windows) in the Load folder. You just need to put all of the texture files in a folder named after the GC game ID (for PM:TTYD it's G8ME01 for US versions, G8MP01 for PAL versions, G8MJ01 for Japanese versions), then in Dolphin click on the Graphics button, go over to Advanced, and check the Load Custom Textures box). It should work then.

Dolphin can improve the look of GC games. It's just that 2D elements (read: textures) function just like bitmap images, in that they have a set resolution. You need to edit the source (loading custom textures in this case) to make things look "HD". Polygons are a different story. They have no real "resolution" because really a 3D model is just a mathematical representation of data which can be scaled infinitely; you just tell your PC what resolution you're going to render models.
Thank you for the, again, detailed explanation about 2D elements etc. I think I understood that Big Grin (My gosh the smilies are terrible haha).

So. I did everything as you explained. Sadly, the textures didn't change. I actually have the pal version and renamed the folder to G8MP01 and put it into the Load folder (As you explained). The graphic settings are:

Direct 3D
Fullscreen Resolution: 1920x1080
3x Native 1920x1584 (Not sure if that makes sense/is needed though lol)
EFB-Copy

Rest isn't really changed. Also the Load Custom Textures is "on".

Edit: Nevermind guys. I think I'm more than fine with the textures now. Not sure ,if it was just the title screen. Anyways, game still looks veeery neat.
Try using OpenGL instead of Direct3D for the HD textures? I know that Direct 3D (D3D11 specificall) did not support HD textures. I don't use Windows, so I wouldn't know if this is still true Sad

You may also need to fiddle around with the Texture Cache Accuracy setting. Also, if the HD textures are for the NTSC-U versions of the game (US versions) you'll need to rename them for the PAL version.
Another problem occurred now..

I basically configured 1920x1080, force 16:9.. I didn't change anything else. (Still Direct 3D)

Now whenever I walk ingame, a blurre like "line" goes with me, if you know what I mean. Obviously not through the whole screen, but just a little line. Is there a way, to fix that? It really destroys the mood a bit, as the game looks really good. Or is it due to the force option? If yes, that would be a shame.

Edit: Yeah I tried it with OpenGl... The game doesn't look good with OpenGl, weird lol. Gosh, I need to edit all the file names then to the pal version. Lemme go cry into the corner haha.
(12-28-2014, 12:14 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Try using OpenGL instead of Direct3D for the HD textures? I know that Direct 3D (D3D11 specificall) did not support HD textures. I don't use Windows, so I wouldn't know if this is still true Sad

You may also need to fiddle around with the Texture Cache Accuracy setting.

You should able to use HD textures with D3D now and you can make 2D graphics look better with a shaders. Op can try older builds because unfortunately DolphinFX is not working with the newest ones.
Asmodeus should have updated DolphinFX to work with the latest revisions, at least it was mentioned in the last Progress Report. It's supposedly much more configurable now and user-friendly.

@truthless - Screenshots of the problem + your Dolphin settings?
(12-28-2014, 12:21 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Asmodeus should have updated DolphinFX to work with the latest revisions, at least it was mentioned in the last Progress Report. It's supposedly much more configurable now and user-friendly.

@truthless - Screenshots of the problem + your Dolphin settings?

He did but they have been broken again by some later commits.
Pages: 1 2