Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recently upgraded my PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone, just found these forums today, very much enjoying having a read.

I recently upgraded my PC with the following:

i7-4790k
32GB DDR3
ASUS Maximus Hero VII
ASUS ROG MARS 760 (it's SLI 760's on 1 card)
ASUS ROG Phoebus Audio Card
ASUS ROG Raidr PCIE SSD
Samsung 1TB SSD
Windows 8.1

Yeah yeah I know the ASUS stuff is overpriced, but the other half wanted a nice looking PC and she likes red...

Anyway, thoughts on this GPU in particular running this emulator? I was going to hold out for the 970/980 but I had a good deal on this card. Never mucked around with SLI before...

I do notice a bit of stuttering and the like when I ramp up settings, any recommendations there?

Many thanks in advance for the help, look fwd to being a part of this forum.
SLI doesn't support dolphin but regardless the card will play everything on 4xIR with maybe even some AA.
i think you mostly created this thread to brag about your specs, mostly. congrats on somewhat failing as a gtx 760 mars is already out of date with its 2gb vram as more and more new games use 4gb of memory. shadows of mordor, the evil within and i believe the new mgs 5 ground zeros also uses 4gb of vram and this is only the beginning(correct me if im wrong on the last one).
(12-17-2014, 10:06 PM)buffyvpsfan Wrote: [ -> ]i think you mostly created this thread to brag about your specs, mostly.  congrats on somewhat failing as a gtx 760 mars is already out of date with its 2gb vram as more and more new games use 4gb of memory.  shadows of mordor, the evil within and i believe the new mgs 5 ground zeros also uses 4gb of vram and this is only the beginning(correct me if im wrong on the last one).

Wow. You really need to get out more.
We're strictly talking dolphin here so as far as vram is concerned anything from 512 or even lesser should run dolphin.
(12-17-2014, 10:06 PM)buffyvpsfan Wrote: [ -> ]i think you mostly created this thread to brag about your specs, mostly.  congrats on somewhat failing as a gtx 760 mars is already out of date with its 2gb vram as more and more new games use 4gb of memory.  shadows of mordor, the evil within and i believe the new mgs 5 ground zeros also uses 4gb of vram and this is only the beginning(correct me if im wrong on the last one).

There's no reason to be condescending about others' choice of hardware, and if you are going to post in this thread, at least try to be relevant to the OP's question. None of what you said has anything to do with Dolphin, so unless you want to talk about Dolphin and the OP's specs, refrain from commenting here.

@scuderiarmani - Zee530 basically hit the nail on the head. a 760 is more than enough to do 4x IR + some AA in most games. Unless you're looking for more, you don't need a new GPU as it concerns this emulator. If you encounter frequent situations where you have a GPU bottleneck (say you're trying to do 4K in Dolphin, but you hit slowdowns) that would be a sign to upgrade the GPU. But if what you're doing now results in no slowdowns, an upgrade doesn't make sense just to play Dolphin. If you have other, specific gaming considerations, an upgrade may be warranted though, just not for Dolphin.
Thanks, I only ever intend on gaming on 1080p, I've kept my monitor from previously (120hz Samsung). Hence my choice in not waiting for the GPU.

So I think the VRAM thing is irrelevant for me anyway.

Was thinking my issues may be more software related anyway, limitations on it as it stands, though ironically it seems to run nicer then Nintendo 64 though...
(12-18-2014, 05:53 AM)scuderiarmani Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I only ever intend on gaming on 1080p, I've kept my monitor from previously (120hz Samsung). Hence my choice in not waiting for the GPU.

Was thinking my issues may be more software related anyway, limitations on it as it stands, though ironically it seems to run nicer then Nintendo 64 though...

I googled your card and it cost $400?

So if you paid around that much, it was definitely not worth it.
Not worth it for Dolphin, and not worth it for other games as well. 

I would return it if possible.

Depends on how much you paid for it though, I'm basing that return recommendation on the ~$400 price I saw.

Edit: I see in your OP that you were trying to hold out for the GTX 970 so I'm guessing you got this card before they came out. There's a lot more about this recommendation but I'm not sure what your intentions are beyond Dolphin (although as I already stated, not the best choice for Dolphin since it's SLI), but if you plan on playing other games it's also not a good choice, especially if they're new titles. GTX 760 SLI's review was very good, but it was also last year, and a LOT has changed, including how much Nvidia plans on updating the drivers for this architecture (which Nvidia has completely ignored Kepler's performance in the last 6+ games that have came out), but well, I don't want to delve too deep into the choice you made without more info on what you planned to do.
(12-19-2014, 03:02 AM)tential Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-18-2014, 05:53 AM)scuderiarmani Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I only ever intend on gaming on 1080p, I've kept my monitor from previously (120hz Samsung). Hence my choice in not waiting for the GPU.

I googled your card and it cost $400?

So if you paid around that much, it was definitely not worth it.
Not worth it for Dolphin, and not worth it for other games as well. 

I would return it if possible.

Depends on how much you paid for it though, I'm basing that return recommendation on the ~$400 price I saw.

Edit: I see in your OP that you were trying to hold out for the GTX 970 so I'm guessing you got this card before they came out.  There's a lot more about this recommendation but I'm not sure what your intentions are beyond Dolphin (although as I already stated, not the best choice for Dolphin since it's SLI), but if you plan on playing other games it's also not a good choice, especially if they're new titles.  GTX 760 SLI's review was very good, but it was also last year, and a LOT has changed, including how much Nvidia plans on updating the drivers for this architecture (which Nvidia has completely ignored Kepler's performance in the last 6+ games that have came out), but well, I don't want to delve too deep into the choice you made without more info on what you planned to do.

1. No I'm not returning my card.
2. I'm in Australia price and availability are completely different.
3. I don't play new games I use all consoles for that.
4. I rarely ever play pc games and if I do its older console games I offed to get cheap on steam or RTS games. None of which are demanding.
Well, in that case, your card was just a waste of money since it was a SLI card and you had no reason to purchase it if all you were using it for was Dolphin since Dolphin doesn't support SLI (Cool to look at maybe I guess).

Essentially paid 2 times the value of the performance you got. Really, you overpaid on a lot of the system then if you don't PC game, unless you do something else with your PC that you need 32GB of RAM or those other specs for.

Any specific reason you chose those specs if you don't PC game? Or do you do something else that you need it for?
Pages: 1 2