Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Using IR for screenshots?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How can I actually take a screenshot of the IR instead grabbing a shot of the window its being resized to?

With the IR beyond 4x setting that was implemented recently, taking extremely high resolution screenshots would be great while not being limited to your monitors resolution or additional resizing done by fitting the IR to the window!
you can manually set the window size in the INI file for Dolphin.

The problem with just having it output at IR is that the GameCube does a lot stuff between the IR resolution and output
I should have phrased that differently. I mean taking a screenshot of the actual rendered resolution (final video output) before resizing it to the windowed or fullscreen resolution.

Anyway, whats the reason for not taking this as the source for screenshots in the first place? Its the lossless output after all.

P.S. ill try the ini thingy now, still with aspect ratio and borders added by the OS, itll be a pain in the butt Sad

EDIT: While specifying it is pretty easy (borders dont count), it doesnt work beyond your desktops resolution! unfortunately, your suggestion does not work.

EDIT2: Same is true for the new video recording feature: Why not take the actual render - which would be frame dumping.
That's weird... I know the super high res images that people take usually are done with this trick...
(11-02-2014, 01:53 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]That's weird... I know the super high res images that people take usually are done with this trick...
well, I tried it and it didnt work. I am able to set custom resolutions with the nvidia control panel and force for example 4096x4096 resolutions and the likes - however my monitor cannot take that signal and remains black (so im driving blind here). taking proper screenshots at that point is not possible Sad

plus, id still be limited to my graphicscard maximum output probably, so 8k might not be doable for example
(11-02-2014, 03:26 AM)Oehr Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2014, 01:53 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]That's weird... I know the super high res images that people take usually are done with this trick...
well, I tried it and it didnt work. I am able to set custom resolutions with the nvidia control panel and force for example 4096x4096 resolutions and the likes - however my monitor cannot take that signal and remains black (so im driving blind here). taking proper screenshots at that point is not possible Sad

plus, id still be limited to my graphicscard maximum output probably, so 8k might not be doable for example

Use a program called fraps to take screenshots. works for me.
See?
[Image: 5549773ee6.png]
fraps is capturing the same dolphin is capturing with its screenshot and video recording features. It does not take a screenshot of the actual rendered resolution.
(11-02-2014, 11:45 PM)Oehr Wrote: [ -> ]fraps is capturing the same dolphin is capturing with its screenshot and video recording features. It does not take a screenshot of the actual rendered resolution.

Oh, well then, try "Puush" then? o.o
(11-03-2014, 12:14 AM)rlaugh0095 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-02-2014, 11:45 PM)Oehr Wrote: [ -> ]fraps is capturing the same dolphin is capturing with its screenshot and video recording features. It does not take a screenshot of the actual rendered resolution.

those programs will NOT work. Theres no need to even try them. They just grab the final D3D/OGL output - which already got resized by dolphin beforehand.

BTW, if dolphin were actually grabbing the rendered frame, resizing the window while recording the video would work and not crash the emulator, as the resolution remains the same (given IR is not set to Auto ofc)
(11-03-2014, 03:29 AM)Oehr Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2014, 12:14 AM)rlaugh0095 Wrote: [ -> ]

those programs will NOT work. Theres no need to even try them. They just grab the final D3D/OGL output - which already got resized by dolphin beforehand.

BTW, if dolphin were actually grabbing the rendered frame, resizing the window while recording the video would work and not crash the emulator, as the resolution remains the same (given IR is not set to Auto ofc)

Oh sorry, I think i've been misunderstanding what you have been asking. Well, the way I got my 4k screenshot was through the new options nvidia added to the control panel that lets you make your tv/monitor 4k. The options is called, "DSR Factors". I read that you tried it already, but my friend and I both only have 1080p displays and it doesn't black out our screens, but then again, it could be only available for certain gpus.

But as far as I know, there is no way in dolphin to take a screenshot at a higher IR.

[Image: 31641d4cb2.png]
Pages: 1 2