Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Upgrade from 4.0 to latest dev build--slower?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

naturalsnotinit

I'm not sure why, but since I updated to the new version, games have been running slower than before in spite of the boost. Am I doing something wrong here? I've been using Dolphin for years now, so I have the settings optimized (unless there are some new ones I missed). Also, why does OpenGL always run 800x slower than Direct3D for me? I have a nVidia card. Sorry for all the questions. Also--big thank you to everyone for all the progress that continues to be made on this emulator. It is objectively the greatest emulator/arguably human achievement of all time.

Thank you <3
Make sure you are on lowest settings possible, and that your GPU drivers are up to date. Make sure you´re not overheating.

naturalsnotinit

(10-12-2014, 07:20 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure you are on lowest settings possible, and that your GPU drivers are up to date. Make sure you´re not overheating.

well, my only frustration here stems from the fact that I could play Kirby Air Ride in 1080p with 4x AA, and SMG 1080p with no AA at full speed before. Now at least Kirby sort of runs full speed but with odd slowdowns at random times, and I'm too afraid to try SMG for the time being. am I missing anything? I'm praying it's because I have yet to update my GPU drivers (been lazy about it for a few months) and haven't turned off my computer in dangerously too long.
What are you waiting for, then? Tongue Get those drivers.

Just out of curiosity, are you using LLE? Recent dev no longer need that for SMG and other games.
What is the version number of your nVidia graphics driver?

naturalsnotinit

(10-12-2014, 07:45 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]What are you waiting for, then? Tongue Get those drivers.

Just out of curiosity, are you using LLE? Recent dev no longer need that for SMG and other games.

WAIT, REALLY? NO FUCKING WAY. You're telling me that HLE is totally fine now? How does it sound in comparison? I know that objectively it'd be less accurate, but is it more or less exactly the same? So is that what they mean by the boost then? Just the fact that LLE is no longer needed? Please explain. And my drivers are... idk, it's 7 less than the current one is all I remember. They're from summer so they're not terribly archaic.
HLE sounds right in most games. Super Mario Galaxy has some minor volume issues in HLE still, but it won't crash due to audio any more.
You need to know the exact version number to be able to tell whether upgrading the graphics driver will improve performance. If you're using 327.x or older, your performance in the latest builds will be worse than 4.0.2, because the development builds replaced the vertex streaming hack with buffer storage, but version 327 and earlier don't support the buffer storage feature, thus causing a performance drop. If you upgrade to 340.52, OGL will become much faster (unless you're already using drivers in the 330 series).
Its really slower!
I first tried Dolphin 4.0 , got fps low as hell!
Downloaded dolphin 3.0 , and now I get pretty decent speed Smile
(10-12-2014, 08:33 PM)Haseeb Wrote: [ -> ]Its really slower!
I first tried Dolphin 4.0 , got fps low as hell!
Downloaded dolphin 3.0 , and now I get pretty decent speed Smile

That's cause you're on a Netbook >,>
Pages: 1 2 3