Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recommend good mac for dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am deciding on a good CPU for my emulation needs.

Unfortunately, my career in video editing comes first and I'm a mac person when it comes to that. So it has to be a mac. :-( Yes, I know there are editing programs for PCs. I just don't trust them and need to go with what works for me.

But it would be NICE to have the best of both worlds IF possible.

Any suggestions?

The mac mini that is RUMORED to come out this October's end MIGHT be OKAY. Guess it depends if they finally update the GPU in a dignified matter. In the post-Steve Jobs era, it will be interesting to see how they play this (and, no, I'm not holding my breath...but you never know).

The other possibility is a GOOD hackintosh. But I wouldn't know where to begin. I hate buying things off eBay.

But I trust you guys here. Any suggestions on a good hackintosh? Is that a good approach? Or is there a suitable OEM mac out there I should consider? Thanx again for any advice!
If you go the route of hackintosh, go with Intel+Nvidia, as it is the most compatible. Here is a good place to start to look for compatible motherboards http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardwa...-info.html

If you wait for the updates to the current models, the CPU is what you want to look at for Dolphin. Haswell is the king of Dolphin CPUs, which is explained below.

If you want to go with official Apple, wait until after their presentation on the 16th, as they'll probably announce new hardware that will bring down the current prices.
-As for Mac mini, they're still using i5-3xxx and i7-3xxx CPUs, which is Ivy Bridge. While that's not bad for Dolphin, you really want to be on Haswell since its over 30% faster clock for clock.
-The current Mac pro uses Xeon V2 CPUs, which are also Ivy Bridge, so the same as above applies.
-The iMacs use Haswell CPUs, which would be the best choice if you want to buy now. The only one to not get is the one with the 1.4 Ghz CPU, as that is a low voltage variant and not ideal for Dolphin. The others are good for Dolphin, and if you Boot Camp to Windows you'll have the best experience (Mac makes their own drivers, which are inferior to Nvidia built drivers for Windows)
pleiades7 Wrote:Yes, I know there are editing programs for PCs. I just don't trust them and need to go with what works for me.

The rest of the world seems to be using them just fine. I'm sure you're capable of learning to use another program.
(10-10-2014, 01:48 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
pleiades7 Wrote:Yes, I know there are editing programs for PCs. I just don't trust them and need to go with what works for me.
The rest of the world seems to be using them just fine. I'm sure you're capable of learning to use another program.

Thank you for sharing, troll. Now tell someone who gives a f***.
No need to be rude. I was being serious. I don't see how pointing out the objectively easiest solution can be considered trolling. Perhaps it would help if I rephrased it as a question. "Why can't you just learn to use a different program?" There are plenty of windows applications that do what you're asking and are used by thousands upon thousands of employees so clearly they work well enough to be used in a professional environment. It would take a fairly minimal amount of time to switch over and it would solve your dilemma completely. Hackintoshes come with their own set of limitations which you would not have to deal with if you were willing to use windows.
I sense this thread is slowly becoming a PC vs Mac bloodbath. But in all seriousness, theres was no need to be rude much less curse, we are trying to help and suggest the best possible experience using Dolphin. We can't give you the answers YOU want to hear, but recommend hardware based on experience and testing. It's either a matter of choice between editing and emulation, and as far as hardware goes we are suggesting the overall best of both worlds. You either take it or leave it.
cyrax33 Wrote:I sense this thread is slowly becoming a PC vs Mac bloodbath.

No it's not.
(10-12-2014, 01:27 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
cyrax33 Wrote:I sense this thread is slowly becoming a PC vs Mac bloodbath.

No it's not.

Her trust in Macs and your suggestion on PC's used by thousands and thousands of editors says otherwise.
And how is that a bloodbath? You're making this into a bigger deal than it is.

She wants to use a mac for a dolphin rig because she likes some video editing software that is apparently not available for windows. I asked if she can learn to use one of the windows alternatives instead since that would open up better options. She accused me of trolling and told me to fuck off. I elaborated on why I think this is a good idea. This is the entirety of what has happened so far in this thread. There is no PC vs. Mac arguing going on. I have not even mentioned the merits of either nor has she. I don't know why you brought this up. I would really like to end this metadiscussion and wait for a response from her.
You can build yourself a hackintosh and can guide yourself with this ideo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOHPm_7PDo
Pages: 1 2