Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dolphin and steam big picture not playing ball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
set this up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCNZ9AVMkU4

with a mayflash dolphin bar

using this syntax:

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-hav...#pid242726

using this trick to load the bat file in to steam;

http://blog.salas-online.com/2013/06/pc-...nsole.html

steam maximizes putting dolphin in back ground hidden behind big picture my other emulators work just fine.

EDIT: now look at the guide i think if the bat file format given the guide had worked for me (it doesn't) it MIGHT not get minimized/overlapped HOWEVER it be the way that dolphin loads then loads a ROM tricking/making big picture think the app has been closed or minimized thusly making it's self (BP) on top.
It's the same format, the only difference is that you can specify what video back-end you want to run the game with in mine. The back-end names won't work anymore now so change OpenGL to OGL, remove Direct3D9 and change Direct3D11 to D3D to get it working properly again.

Anyway, to get this working properly you can also add Dolphin.exe to Steam, change the name of the shortcut to whatever you want and set the target to something along the lines of the format.
Code:
"D:\Emulation\Emulators\GCnWii\dolphin-master-4.0-3089-x64\Dolphin.exe" /e "D:\Emulation\ROMs\Wii\ssbb.iso" /b
(09-29-2014, 01:03 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]It's the same format, the only difference is that you can specify what video back-end you want to run the game with in mine. The back-end names won't work anymore now so change OpenGL to OGL, remove Direct3D9 and change Direct3D11 to D3D to get it working properly again.

Anyway, to get this working properly you can also add Dolphin.exe to Steam, change the name of the shortcut to whatever you want and set the target to something along the lines of the format.
Code:
"D:\Emulation\Emulators\GCnWii\dolphin-master-4.0-3089-x64\Dolphin.exe" /e "D:\Emulation\ROMs\Wii\ssbb.iso" /b

The only issue with that is steam will see the same EXE and will issue all on Dolphin shortcuts the same custom banner image. unless you use a separate dolphin with each rom, as is done with project 64.

will clean up the bat file. if your post isn't a sticky it should be, it was very helpful. what do the bits at the very bottom do?
(09-29-2014, 10:48 PM)cdoublejj Wrote: [ -> ]The only issue with that is steam will see the same EXE and will issue all on Dolphin shortcuts the same custom banner image. unless you use a separate dolphin with each rom, as is done with project 64.

will clean up the bat file. if your post isn't a sticky it should be, it was very helpful. what do the bits at the very bottom do?

You must be doing something wrong because I have 8 Dolphin games set up in Steam that way and they all have their unique banner.
Try using the steps below to add two Dolphin emulated games to Steam to see if it works for you:

1. Click “add a game -> add a non-steam game”
2. Browse for and select dolphin the dolphin exe, and click “add selected game”
3. Right-click the newly added “dolphin” game in the library and open properties
4. Change name from “dolphin” to the name of emulated game to be added
5. Change target as shown in following example
"D:\Console\Gamecube\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe"
To:
"D:\Console\Gamecube\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe" /b /e "D:\Wii - Scrubbed ISO\Donkey Kong Country Returns [SF8E01].iso"
6. Close window; game is now playable but doesn’t look great in grid view yet
7. In grid view, right-click game again and select “set custom image”
8. Browse to a game-specific banner which you can get from steambanners.booru.org

Note: The same image can be used to replace the default icon from the properties window but it has to be in .png format or it won’t show up. Also, it does not fill the image frame in detailed view (have to figure that one out yet)

I hope this works for you, as it does for me.
(10-01-2014, 10:09 PM)themanuel Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2014, 10:48 PM)cdoublejj Wrote: [ -> ]The only issue with that is steam will see the same EXE and will issue all on Dolphin shortcuts the same custom banner image. unless you use a separate dolphin with each rom, as is done with project 64.

You must be doing something wrong because I have 8 Dolphin games set up in Steam that way and they all have their unique banner.
Try using the steps below to add two Dolphin emulated games to Steam to see if it works for you:

3. Right-click the newly added “dolphin” game in the library and open properties
To:
"D:\Console\Gamecube\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe" /b /e "D:\Wii - Scrubbed ISO\Donkey Kong Country Returns [SF8E01].iso"
8. Browse to a game-specific banner which you can get from steambanners.booru.org

Note: The same image can be used to replace the default icon from the properties window but it has to be in .png format or it won’t show up. Also, it does not fill the image frame in detailed view (have to figure that one out yet)

Well the last i time i tried adding the SAME exact exe file from the same EXACT directory a few months ago they all used the same banner this is known issue OR it was fixed very recently.

I'm am going to try this anyways because if it's working for you hopefully it works for me.

I would be interested in how you close the dolphin emulator. i have the back button on the wireless 360 controller mapped to ALT-F4 on joy 2 but, you have to use the 360 controller to close it instead of the wii mote. (obviously my way would only work if it was on top like it should be.)

off to experiment i will report back.
(10-01-2014, 11:04 PM)cdoublejj Wrote: [ -> ]I would be interested in how you close the dolphin emulator. i have the back button on the wireless 360 controller mapped to ALT-F4 on joy 2 but, you have to use the 360 controller to close it instead of the wii mote. (obviously my way would only work if it was on top like it should be.)

off to experiment i will report back.

So far I haven't gotten into using xpadder or similar programs although I intend to. However, I now simply close the emulator through the Steam overlay. Following the steps above will allow you to use the overlay with Dolphin emulated games. To exit a game launched from steam's Big Picture mode, simply press home on the x360 gamepad to bring up the overlay and navigate to the "close game" option to force it shut (make sure you've made you've saved your progress in the game).

If this doesn't work for you because the home button brings up the little screen that shows battery status, causing the Steam overlay to lose focus, do the following:
In order for the home button to call up the steam overlay and not the battery status mini-window that comes with the driver installation, remove the following application from the Windows Control Panel:
Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller Accessories
This will remove the annoying pop-up without uninstalling the controller drivers.
(10-01-2014, 10:09 PM)themanuel Wrote: [ -> ]

To:

[Image: 0jq4ds3.gif]
....mother of god ....it works ....it REALLY REALLY WORKS!!!!!

...why in the ...doesn't it work for project 64?

EDIT: what gives ALT-F4 on joy2Key does not work. is because there are 2 dolphin windows or is dolphin stealing the input away from Joy2Key? I need a way to close out of dolphin with out a keyboard or mouse.

Also i am able to use a different banner for each game.
(10-02-2014, 12:05 AM)cdoublejj Wrote: [ -> ]....mother of god ....it works ....it REALLY REALLY WORKS!!!!!

EDIT: what gives ALT-F4 on joy2Key does not work. is because there are 2 dolphin windows or is dolphin stealing the input away from Joy2Key? I need a way to close out of dolphin with out a keyboard or mouse.

What part doesn't work with P64?

Regarding how to exit the emulator, and assuming you are using the x360 gamepad, did you try my suggestion in my previous post about using the steam overlay to shut down the emulator?

Of course you are able to use different banners. I got your back, dog.
(10-02-2014, 01:46 AM)themanuel Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2014, 12:05 AM)cdoublejj Wrote: [ -> ]....mother of god ....it works ....it REALLY REALLY WORKS!!!!!

What part doesn't work with P64?

Regarding how to exit the emulator, and assuming you are using the x360 gamepad, did you try my suggestion in my previous post about using the steam overlay to shut down the emulator?

Of course you are able to use different banners. I got your back, dog.

You are ON IT! I didn't even know i could use steam over lay to close games!! i'll check that i just a bit. today i fired up the HTPC and and my mapped button (to ALT-F4) started working but, when steam came back it wouldn't do anything. fortunately hitting home button with big picture not "in focus" cause the batter meter poped up and when you hit it again it closes and in this case put big picture back in focus so TLBig GrinR if BP doesn't respond after (alt-f4 via J2K) just tap the center ring button 1once or twice.

HOWEVER!!! Now that i know i can use steam over lay to close games that may very well change things up a bit. Maybe even make it a bit safer as people can't accidentally hit the alt f4 mapped back button on the 360 controller.

....so far given your help things are going well. Even got my 360 controllers mapped as GC game pads for GC games.

EDIT: as for PJ64 look at the later half of this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wqEFKTRu-8 I found the same issue earlier this year.
(10-02-2014, 10:07 PM)cdoublejj Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: as for PJ64 look at the later half of this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wqEFKTRu-8 I found the same issue earlier this year.
I'm not really sure what to do about that one since I don't use it and I'm not planning to, for the moment, as N64 games look hideous on HD screens. However, if you want to dig deeper you can check out the Project64 module for Hyperspin. It is essentially an autohotkey script and could give you ideas of workarounds the author did get around display issues. Those modules are meant to achieve seamless launching of emulated games from the Hyperspin front-end.

Here is the code, in case you don't have access to the forums there:
Spoiler:
By the way, last night I found I had lost all the banners from grid view, which makes me question my whole method. However the banners were there in Big Picture mode. Some people in forums have suggested to delete a Steam cache folder which I did, but that did not help. I did not spend too much time trying to correct this because I was testing my new video card but if I find the solution to the problem I'll let you know.
Pages: 1 2