Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: System unresponsive after reboot and starting Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For some odd reason, When I started Dolphin this morning, (the latest stable release 4.0.2) everything worked fine until I tried to start a game. At that point my system decided to freak out and give me nothing but a black screen to look at. No desktop, no windows, nothing. first let me go through a few things.

1: I have tried direct x11 (worked the night before) and then Open GL. Both result in the same thing.
2: I have been using an Xbox 360 USB controller
3: Everything was fine the night before. So I am unsure of what happened

There is no way to close the emulation. The only way that I have found that gets me back to a usable desktop is a cold reboot.

Windows 7 OS if that is needed to know.
Try using the latest dev builds
(09-27-2014, 03:38 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Try using the latest dev builds
My point of this post was that the "stable" is obviously not very stable if it causes a system breaking bug like this. But alright, I will try a development build.
It would be good to install SP1 too.
(09-27-2014, 09:16 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]It would be good to install SP1 too.
I would but, my computer is fully up to date down to the latest malicious software removal tool (not that I typically trust microsoft not to push a system kill patch). I do seem to recall seeing a directx related installer when I was installing dolphin. There wouldn't be a modified Direct X file would there? Or was that just the web installer to make sure it was installed?
Okay here is an update, i have tried the most recent development build and it still goes black screen on me on launch. I am unsure of what changed but I am going to try a roll back on windows itself to before I installed dolphin 4.0.2. I suspect that the direct X installations broke something. I will report back when I finish.

Edit: looks like something broke in my graphics drivers according to the event logs. I will have to do driver surgery to fix this one.

Also to note, I don't appreciate the canned responses that you give to all noobs. I'm no stranger to the emulation scene, let alone computers. I've been using computers since the days of DOS and only wish to assist the proper development of a good emulator. Bug reporting is an important thing.
Noobs get the same response because it's either something really basic (that will be fixed by abandoning the Dolphin build they're using and starting afresh) or something that's already been fixed since 4.0.2 upwards of 95% of the time. No-one actually gets paid to do this, so no-one's willing to invest more than a small amount of time into anyone's problem unless it's new and interesting. We can't tell it's new and interesting until the obvious and common procedures have failed.
(09-27-2014, 09:47 AM)deeluna Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2014, 09:16 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]It would be good to install SP1 too.
I would but, my computer is fully up to date down to the latest malicious software removal tool (not that I typically trust microsoft not to push a system kill patch).

So wait, are you saying that you DON'T have SP1 installed? Because if so, I seem to recall that there are updates built into the service pack 1 update that Dolphin needs to run visual c++ 2013 properly.

As for the broken gpu issue, google search the DirectX Web Updater, and run that. It should fix any broken D3D files
If you were to actually read what I wrote there, My computer is up to date... it came with Service pack 1 when I installed. but alright I will try running the DirectX web updater soon. as much as I hate web installers.

and to AnyOldName3, Sorry I was just kinda irritated that something within the system broke and all I got was a canned response. granted I was running the "stable" version and got this problem after I had shut down my computer and started it up the next day. anyway I will report back when I have tried getting everything "fixed" and run the emulator again.
Update Still no change. PCSX2, FCEUX, SNES9x etc. work just fine and they uses direct x as well. It's alright if it doesn't work though, I still have a hacked Wii laying around that I could use. Here is the basic run down. Computer boots and I take care of the usual business at boot. (close annoying window dealing with FW update on the blueray drive trying to get the updated revocation list. I could make it stop but I don't care enough and might need it later.) start dolphin, and the emulator front-end comes up asking what I want to launch. I select a game (doesn't matter if gamecube or Wii) and the entire screen goes blank and the system refuses to respond to any input. This is after driver surgery on the computer. I've got the most up to date graphics driver, I ran the directx web installer to fix the files to no avail. I even tried deleting the configuration files for dolphin and letting it make new ones. All result in the same blank screen. and the event logs I was looking at show nothing new.
Pages: 1 2