Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin and Windows 8.1 = lagg?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
hi guys!

a few weeks ago i got my new notebook

Windows 8.1
Intel I7-4700 HQ 2,40GHz
16GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 765M

i installed the dolphin 4.0.2 on my SSD and put the iso images i used to play on my hdd.

i didnt change the settings, just took the default settings after installing.

from time to time (i think every 1 or 2 min) i have a freezing lagg about 3 or 4 seconds where the game is totally stuck abd after that the game goes on like nothing happened.....

i tried several images but everywhere the same....

i didn't have those problems with my old notebook which was way slower than my new one..... but it was windows 7....

so is there maye a problem with windows 8? normal playing is really good, speed is like i play it on my GC, but those laggs are really frustrating me :/

anyone have an idea? and yes i put my settings on high performance!

thanks guys - maybe one of you have an idea!
disable hyperthreading and use a dev build would be a start
will have to look where that hyperthreading is.... but could you tell me what a dev build is? :-)
development builds are compiled as developers make changes, they had hundreds of improvements since the release versions were originally posted and are generally vastly improved - dolphin-emu.org/download/ is where you can download a ZIP for windows - it should run considerably better. hyperthreading will be in the CPU features of your BIOS...i got a performance boost when disabling HT on my i7 920
(09-23-2014, 11:00 PM)Alex2190 Wrote: [ -> ]development builds are compiled as developers make changes, they had hundreds of improvements since the release versions were originally posted and are generally vastly improved - dolphin-emu.org/download/ is where you can download a ZIP for windows - it should run considerably better. hyperthreading will be in the CPU features of your BIOS...i got a performance boost when disabling HT on my i7 920

thanks a lot, so i will try that dev build!
hyperthreading sounds dangerous.... im not that well educated in bios... i think i should not change anything... i don't want to destroy something in BIOS >.<

but how can it be that it went much more smoother on my old notebook? that makes no sense to me....
You are probably referring to shader cache caching slowdowns, it is normal for dolphin and there is nothing you can do to stop them. They happen usually the first time you run a game, perhaps you played a lot in your old laptop so they weren't apparent to you.
hi link!

but how comes my old notebook worked fine with that?

i noticed it some times on my PSX2 emulator too.... O_o
dolphin uses three cores of a processor, with hyperthreading the processor will sometimes force the work to be split across the threads on a single core causing stutters or delays, ultimately making it less efficient - if your original laptop did not have HT, then this COULD be a reason why. Disabling this feature wont cause any damage, just be sure to read the options. in your bios it will typically just be HT - ON or OFF. pretty straightforward.
(09-23-2014, 11:15 PM)S1mpl3pl4n5496 Wrote: [ -> ]hi link!

Do you have power saving features such as one that stops hdd from spinning after a while? Perhaps your hdd stops spinning after a while and causes a lag.
(09-23-2014, 11:22 PM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2014, 11:15 PM)S1mpl3pl4n5496 Wrote: [ -> ]hi link!

Do you have power saving features such as one that stops hdd from spinning after a while? Perhaps your hdd stops spinning after a while and causes a lag.

oh this could be! i just disabled this option because it went in standby mode while i was downloading something <.<

ok guys thanks i will try those stuff at the evening! thanks for the moment :-)

ill post the results then!
Pages: 1 2 3