Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hard performance-drop when recording with DxTory (OpenGL only)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi you guys,

Yesterday I tried to record some footage from Dolphin with DxTory. But if you use the OpenGL backend, which is the most accurate one atm I think, you will get a hard performance-drop. The higher the internal resolution the greater the p-d. I also tried out the latest version of the Ishiiruka-Dolphin with DX9 backend and it works totally fine with full speed ..
(I'm playing at a Full-HD TV with 3x Internal Resolution / but recording @ 720p60)

I tried to get some support from the Excode forums but I haven't received any answer yet and I doubt I ever will ..
There are some recording-options you can check and the option "Disable Delay Processing" gives a slight performance-boost while recording.
The explanation of this option says: "Processing is performed before Present. For avoiding the bug of a video driver. Recommended for Multi-GPU envirnment."
Recording will usually cause a performance drop except when using something like Shadowplay, which is usually fine for me. But even that has its limits.
But why with OpenGL and with DX9 not?
As you said, OGL is accurate. Sometimes, accuracy sacrificies speed. DX9 wasn´t as accurate as the other backends, and thus being faster.

You´re supposedly using an NVidia card, you´ll do better recording with ShadowPlay.
I can't I have a GTX 580
Afaik Shadowplay is only supported by GTX 600 series and higher

Btw the 3D11 backend is faster than OpenGL.
OpenGL is also very slow (when recording) in older versions when it wasn't as accurate as it is today ..
I guess DxTory just doesn't work properly with OpenGL ..
OpenGL is way faster and smooth than D3D11 on recent revisions especially for Nvidia hardware. Made even faster thanks to Fiora's JIT commits, OpenGL should be faster and if it isn't something is wrong. I have a first gen i7 and GTX 460's and OpenGL has superior performance that I can get 90fps to 100+ fps in Super Mario Galaxy 1/2.

Higher than 2x IR as I found in my case will kill performance especially with high resolutions. I use either 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200 and sometimes I have to turn down IR for better performance then there is overhead of recording and writing to hdd but Dxtory should be faster than Fraps.

Oh and if you haven't then download the latest dev builds, OpenGL really *is* faster and smoother than D3D11 and possibly faster than D3D9 without some issues those backends currently have, D3D9 is no longer supported anyway so you should be using latest dev builds with either D3D11 or OpenGL, preferably OpenGL. It's not just that OpenGL is faster but the JIT improvements and optimizations that improve speed even more.

I'm not sure why you would be experiencing performance issues with OpenGL since it should be faster than D3D11 so there must be something going on if you are using the latest dev builds but I presume you are not since you mention DX9/D3D9.
X2D's giant wall of text strikes again
Wall of text? It's basically just a paragraph with sentences spaced out for readability. o_O
Still, you often write way too much and half the text you wrote doen't even belong to the topic Tongue
Well technically it does..

He is getting poor performance with OpenGL even more so when recording due to using an outdated build which obviously seems to be the case since he mentions DX9. In recent dev builds OpenGL should be faster and smoother than DX9/DX11. So his performance will likely be on par with or better than DX9/DX11 while recording if he upgrades to the latest dev builds and uses the OpenGL backend. If he tried with the latest dev builds and is getting poor performance with OpenGL then something else is going on.
Pages: 1 2