Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD A8-6600K vs i5-4690K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

littlebit

Hi people,
I'm new in this forum and this is my first post. And before posting I have been checking out the hardare section for a while in order to figure out the optimal HW-Requirements for running the wii-emulator.
To begin with, I have read the recommended hardware section in the wiki of dolphin, and there 2 CPUs stand out, they are A8-6600K and the i5-4690K.
A quick comparison in my favorate HW Shop tells me that the i5 is slower, consumes less energy, but costs the double in comparison to the A8.
Another thing that quickly learned in the forums, is that the dolphin needs to cores to run perfectly, since it is a dual core application.
And another point that is vital to run dolphin smoothly is to focus more on the cpu than on the gpu.
So here is my question: Would the 400 MHz of the A8-6600K make a difference, if not a noticable one, on the performance on dolphin?
(08-30-2014, 08:20 PM)littlebit Wrote: [ -> ]A quick comparison in my favorate HW Shop tells me that the i5 is slower, consumes less energy, but costs the double in comparison to the A8.
This is so, so wrong. You don't just compare CPU clocks and call it a day. The architecture behind the CPU is one of the most important things to look at when deciding on a CPU.

Quote:Another thing that quickly learned in the forums, is that the dolphin needs to cores to run perfectly, since it is a dual core application.
At least two cores yes.

Quote:And another point that is vital to run dolphin smoothly is to focus more on the cpu than on the gpu.
Yes since the GPU is used for pretty graphic settings.

Quote:So here is my question: Would the 400 MHz of the A8-6600K make a difference, if not a noticable one, on the performance on dolphin?
First quote... and check out the benchmarks yourself.
The fastest FX 8350 @ 5.0GHz is not even on par with i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz in Dolphin Benchmark . Here is why :
_Dolphin is a dual core application
_AMD multi-threaded performance is good for your pocket .However, AMD's performance per core a.k.a single threaded performance is weak
A8 doesn't stand a chance

littlebit

First of all, thanks for the fast reply.
@Garteal: Could you also provilde me with a link that that explains how these values are created, so that I can get a feeling of the figures rather than only looking at numbers.
In your answer to my question whether I should focus MORE ON THE CPU than the gpu in order to run dolphin smoothly, did you actually wanted to say: "NO since the GPU is used for pretty graphic settings."?

My main intention is to setup dolphin on a linux distro where it will serve me as a htpc for my living room. As a GUI basis I will install and setup xbmc where dolphin will be integrated into it.
Quote:HW Shop tells me that the i5 is slower
And btw , no way this is true . A8 and A10 are mid-range CPU , i5 is high-end CPU
i5 4690k is almost twice as fast as A10 7850K which is much faster than the outdated A8 6600k
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1200?vs=1261
For Emulation , CPU is the most important thing
Dolphin's FAQ Wrote:Compared to processors, choosing a GPU for Dolphin is a fairly simple task. The more powerful the graphics card, the more pixels and enhancements you can throw at it before you’ll see slowdown

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-gpu-do-i-need
Intel HD 4600 is good enough for 2->2,5x Internal Resolution , no AA , 16xAF . The faster GPU won't bring you more speed
Emulation is exactly the opposite of PC gaming .
Emulation : High-end CPU + Low-Mid range GPU
PC gaming : Low-Mid range CPU + High End GPU

Btw , Pentium Haswell Anniversary G3258 ($74) can be overclocked all the way up to 4.6GHz with dust cheap Asrock Z97 Anniversary mobo ($90) and stock Intel Cooler . At that speed , it's as fast as i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz or i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-20...-anandtech
Pair G3258 with EVGA GTX 750 , you will have an ultimate budget PC for gaming and emulation
(08-30-2014, 09:22 PM)littlebit Wrote: [ -> ]@Garteal: Could you also provilde me with a link that that explains how these values are created, so that I can get a feeling of the figures rather than only looking at numbers.
Right, here's the benchmarking thread.

Quote:In your answer to my question whether I should focus MORE ON THE CPU than the gpu in order to run dolphin smoothly, did you actually wanted to say: "NO since the GPU is used for pretty graphic settings."?
No, since you can play non-gpu bottlenecked games at 1x IR on a low/mid-range GPU.

littlebit

(08-30-2014, 09:43 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:HW Shop tells me that the i5 is slower
And btw , no way this is true . A8 and A10 are mid-range CPU , i5 is high-end CPU
i5 4690k is almost twice as fast as A10 7850K which is much faster than the outdated A8 6600k
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1200?vs=1261
For Emulation , CPU is the most important thing
Dolphin's FAQ Wrote:Compared to processors, choosing a GPU for Dolphin is a fairly simple task. The more powerful the graphics card, the more pixels and enhancements you can throw at it before you’ll see slowdown

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-gpu-do-i-need
Intel HD 4600 is good enough for 2->2,5x Internal Resolution , no AA , 16xAF . The faster GPU won't bring you more speed
Emulation is exactly the opposite of PC gaming .
Emulation : High-end CPU + Low-Mid range GPU
PC gaming : Low-Mid range CPU + High End GPU

Btw , Pentium Haswell Anniversary G3258 ($74) can be overclocked all the way up to 4.6GHz with dust cheap Asrock Z97 Anniversary mobo ($90) and stock Intel Cooler . At that speed , it's as fast as i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz or i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-20...-anandtech
Pair G3258 with EVGA GTX 750 , you will have an ultimate budget PC for gaming and emulation
Thank you for the recommendation. In the aspect of over clocking the G3258 that high wouldn't there be a higher power consumption and heat generation that someone would need to handle? In my case I'll be using is a Aluminum passively cooled case with some heatpipes connected from the side of the case to the cpu. The advantage is that I have no noise at all.
So using an overclocked cpu in my system configuration could be a challenge, but I assume that you have actually setup and configured a G3258 with EVGA GTX 750?
Do you have any power consumption (in Watts) and heat values?
Quote:I assume that you have actually setup and configured a G3258 with EVGA GTX 750?
Do you have any power consumption (in Watts) and heat values?
I don't but some Dolphin users do have
Quote: Aluminum passively cooled case with some heatpipes connected from the side of the case to the cpu
While it's true that Intel stock cooler can handle G3258 @ 4.6GHz , full load temp is about 80 degree Celsius which is not really good
You will have to lower the clock speed . Around 4.2GHz -> 4.4GHz and keep the Vcore as low as possible
Lower Vcore = Lower Power Consumption , Lower heat values . G3258 @ 4.2GHz is fully stable with 1.2Vcore , you may be able to lower it a bit more
GTX 750 is based on latest Nvidia Maxwell architecture which is known to be very power-efficient . GTX 750's power consumption is about 55W maximum
I'm pretty sure the Pentium @4.6 will use less power than the i5 at stock or anything from AMD even approaching the same performance. This means it's also your best bet for passive cooling.