Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unofficial Virtual Reality version on Oculus Share
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just a heads up that I submitted my Oculus Rift (and Hydra) supporting branch to Oculus Share, where Oculus Rift users can download it along with the other Oculus Rift demos and games, and it finally got approved.
https://share.oculusvr.com/app/dolphin-vr

Because the approval process and the update approval process are slow, this version is a few weeks old ( https://github.com/CarlKenner/dolphin/co...008fc40bbf ). Slightly later versions are available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qblkeeug3z95ur...0.exe?dl=0

It's still very buggy, and not all the Dolphin features are correctly implemented in VR yet, but it's a work in progress.

Some videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1x9fQWRM5o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y99nhlwaLX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG99JDy4GqY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cslxlBZHJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcMdXS9V0KU
Great. As if I needed any more reasons to spend the money on one of these things.

I was actually thinking about this the other day, but concluded to myself that it would be too weird/buggy with things disappearing in your peripheral vision.
Guess it's not -that- bad.
Very happy to see an F-Zero GX youtube demo :)

Is there a possibility to have some sort of cheatcode to force the emulation to render the things you're looking at, rather than just what the in-game camera is looking at?
I guess the best way to go about that would be to actually have a cheat that would move the in-game camera...
I know nothing on the matter, just thought I'd ask for anyone who might know~

This is really cool stuff, thanks for sharing! :)
If I remember correctely he said in a different thread that he he uses free look. Since free look is actually implemented in dolphin under advenced graphic settings for quite some time now I don't think you'll need a cheat for that.
(08-31-2014, 08:36 AM)Lex Wrote: [ -> ]If I remember correctely he said in a different thread that he he uses free look. Since free look is actually implemented in dolphin under advenced graphic settings for quite some time now I don't think you'll need a cheat for that.

well of course, I actually figured it used some sort of variant of the free-look tool.
But that doesn't stop some objects/features to stop rendering on the sides the game isn't actually looking at.
Like the widescreen hack in most games, objects on the very side of the screen won't render properly/at all.

would be really neat if there were a way around that, via a cheat to manipulate the in-game camera, so that there wouldn't be a need for free look.
But I have no idea if something like that is even feasible with the way dolphin works.
To me, it sounds as easy as setting up some sort of tool+cheat system. It would require a different cheat for each game, but I'm sure it could be done.. right?

just a quick example of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cslxlBZHJE#t=29

It seems WindWaker works really well without this happening too much. Cool!
(08-31-2014, 08:20 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]Great. As if I needed any more reasons to spend the money on one of these things.

I was actually thinking about this the other day, but concluded to myself that it would be too weird/buggy with things disappearing in your peripheral vision.
Guess it's not -that- bad.
Very happy to see an F-Zero GX youtube demo Smile

Is there a possibility to have some sort of cheatcode to force the emulation to render the things you're looking at, rather than just what the in-game camera is looking at?
I guess the best way to go about that would be to actually have a cheat that would move the in-game camera...
I know nothing on the matter, just thought I'd ask for anyone who might know~

This is really cool stuff, thanks for sharing! Smile
How weird/buggy it is depends on the game. In Wind Waker it isn't much of a problem. In Metroid Prime 2 it is a big problem.

There's already a cheat code for Widescreen in some Gamecube games, which I just realised I should be trying or modifying to make it super-wide-and-tall-screen. Although that would have the side-effect of also making the HUD super-wide-and-tall.

I tried NOP-ing the game code for culling in Wind Waker, but for some reason I couldn't get it to have any effect. I don't know if I just found the wrong functions or if there's some trick I wasn't doing to get the debugger to recognise that you have changed the code. I even found where it stores the clipping planes it uses for culling, but editing that location in memory didn't seem to have any lasting effect. And I found where it stores the view matrix, but I don't know if there's a way of making Dolphin stop the game from overwriting whatever values I put there. So I haven't made any real progress yet. I might try reading the view matrix and using that to cancel out any changes to the camera pitch though, to make it more comfortable in VR. But for that I need to work out the best way to read the game memory from the renderer (or pass game memory to the renderer).

But one day I hope to be able to control culling and the game camera in at least some games.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

I heard that the Swiss loader for GC has a more-comprehensive-than-Dolphin widescreen hack that changes the projection matrices somehow. Maybe studying the source code would give a way to do it (increase FOV, maybe change it to render distorted so the ORift undistorts it?)
Wait, are you saying that we will be able to play dolphin games on the occulus rift with this?
(09-02-2014, 11:04 PM)CarlKenner Wrote: [ -> ]How weird/buggy it is depends on the game. In Wind Waker it isn't much of a problem. In Metroid Prime 2 it is a big problem.

There's already a cheat code for Widescreen in some Gamecube games, which I just realised I should be trying or modifying to make it super-wide-and-tall-screen. Although that would have the side-effect of also making the HUD super-wide-and-tall.

I tried NOP-ing the game code for culling in Wind Waker, but for some reason I couldn't get it to have any effect. I don't know if I just found the wrong functions or if there's some trick I wasn't doing to get the debugger to recognise that you have changed the code. I even found where it stores the clipping planes it uses for culling, but editing that location in memory didn't seem to have any lasting effect. And I found where it stores the view matrix, but I don't know if there's a way of making Dolphin stop the game from overwriting whatever values I put there. So I haven't made any real progress yet. I might try reading the view matrix and using that to cancel out any changes to the camera pitch though, to make it more comfortable in VR. But for that I need to work out the best way to read the game memory from the renderer (or pass game memory to the renderer).

But one day I hope to be able to control culling and the game camera in at least some games.

Aww too bad, metroid would be SO RAD with the rift.

Might i suggest doing something to that "super wide/tall screen" cheat then just directly editing the hud scale via another cheat? I feel that might be really messy, but It could be a go (again, know very little of what I'm talking about, but I thought I'd make some 'guesstimated' input) :x

So- the way I understand it, if you change the emulated matrix-render size (or whatever), the only effect it could have would be on your own machine, rather than the emulated machine?
Like it isn't going to effect the Emulated hardware, correct? Or would it?
It would make sense if the emulated machine was getting frames taken off if it were trying to do too much, but the actual emulation would still get perfect framerate.

(I haven't actually experienced this yet in Dolphin, as I did on regular GC. For instance when I played F-Zero GX, sometimes the framerate would drop noticibly, yet I haven't witnessed this happening in Dolphin)

Has Dolphin changed the way the emulated machine handles the rendering?
Please disregard my questions if they're too confusing or idiotic~

Hey-
I'll stick by you, fellow VR-gimmick enthusiast, I can't wait to see what you can conjure up :)

(09-03-2014, 07:28 AM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, are you saying that we will be able to play dolphin games on the occulus rift with this?

YEAH! :D
That's exactly what's going on here~
(09-03-2014, 05:33 AM)jimbo1qaz Wrote: [ -> ]I heard that the Swiss loader for GC has a more-comprehensive-than-Dolphin widescreen hack that changes the projection matrices somehow. Maybe studying the source code would give a way to do it (increase FOV, maybe change it to render distorted so the ORift undistorts it?)
I'm totally changing the projection matrices already. All the FOV, head tracking, and HUD rendering comes from changing the projection matrices. The issue is that the game doesn't know I'm changing the projection matrices and doesn't render any more objects than it would have before.

The issue isn't that I can't make it render correctly in VR for the Rift, I'm already doing all that. It's just a problem of telling the game not to cull things that it thinks I can't see when I really can, and the game not knowing where I am really looking.

(09-03-2014, 09:05 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]Aww too bad, metroid would be SO RAD with the rift.
I did add a lot of hacks specifically for Metroid because of that (even though the Dolphin team strongly disapproves of such measures, but hey, it's Metroid! It deserves an exception), so Metroid is actually somewhat playable in VR. But the culling is still an issue.

(09-03-2014, 09:05 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]Might i suggest doing something to that "super wide/tall screen" cheat then just directly editing the hud scale via another cheat? I feel that might be really messy, but It could be a go (again, know very little of what I'm talking about, but I thought I'd make some 'guesstimated' input) :x
That might be possible.
Don't get me wrong, I can make the HUD whatever size or shape I want, it's just a matter of having to use the same size HUD the game does so that it lines up with what's behind it. For example if you use the grappling hook in Wind Waker, there is a yellow symbol drawn on the HUD over the object you are going to grapple onto, and people expect that to line up.

(09-03-2014, 09:05 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]So- the way I understand it, if you change the emulated matrix-render size (or whatever), the only effect it could have would be on your own machine, rather than the emulated machine?
Yes. Until the game tries to read the EFB or XFB.

(09-03-2014, 09:05 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]Like it isn't going to effect the Emulated hardware, correct? Or would it?
It would make sense if the emulated machine was getting frames taken off if it were trying to do too much, but the actual emulation would still get perfect framerate.

(I haven't actually experienced this yet in Dolphin, as I did on regular GC. For instance when I played F-Zero GX, sometimes the framerate would drop noticibly, yet I haven't witnessed this happening in Dolphin)

Has Dolphin changed the way the emulated machine handles the rendering?
Please disregard my questions if they're too confusing or idiotic~
I'm not sure what you mean.

(09-03-2014, 09:05 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]Hey-
I'll stick by you, fellow VR-gimmick enthusiast, I can't wait to see what you can conjure up Smile
Thanks.

(09-03-2014, 07:28 AM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, are you saying that we will be able to play dolphin games on the occulus rift with this?
Yes, many of them. Not all of them work yet though. And ones that work often have a few issues.
I don't think they'd mind per-game hacks for the Oculus Rift if they were heavily, heavily isolated from the actual emulation code, and just kinda hooked in. I mean, projection hacks, the widescreen hack, and other things need to hook in anyway.
Pages: 1 2