Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Were the benchmarks running with integrated or discrete cards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

MOYcano 0.23

Guys, I was looking at the Dolphin CPU benchmark (http://tinyurl.com/p776frj) because I'm wondering if the new AMD A10-7850K is a suitable choice for Dolphin (sure-as-hell it appears to be a good choice for everyday use) and seeing its "OK" result in comparison with non-Haswell Intel Core processors, I was wondering:

These results were obtained with integrated or discrete video cards?

Recent videos show that the AMD's APUs are much better solutions than Intel's counterparts IN VIDEO INTENSIVE APPS, but this data is not available in your benchmark. I mean, a good Intel CPU plus a decent video card is clearly the best scenario for Dolphin but what about WITHOUT discrete video card?

SALUDOS/REGARDS!
Mmmmmmm.....I'm pretty sure that the benchmark doesn't use the video card, and just does CPU tests similar to how GC/Wii games use the CPU.

Here is the thread, saying its mostly CPU bound tests: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...e-required

MOYcano 0.23

(08-27-2014, 04:00 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Mmmmmmm.....I'm pretty sure that the benchmark doesn't use the video card, and just does CPU tests similar to how GC/Wii games use the CPU.

Here is the thread, saying its mostly CPU bound tests: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...e-required
Oh... I see... (BTW, thanks for the info')

But somehow I end up even more intrigued, since AMD's A10-70xx APUs have less IPC (Instructions Per Clock) but the effects of its superior integrated graphics could close the gap against Intel's i5s in "real life" tests.
It all depends on the ir setting and other graphic enhancements you will use. If you use 1x ir similar Intel cpus will be clearly faster than Amd cpus in dolphin. In high ir settings they might get even without a discreet gpu but i have no test results to show you. Still though since gpus are easier to add/replace in desktop it is definitely better to go for the cpu first, and later get a discreet gpu of your choice to cover your needs. With the cpu you will be stuck until you buy an entirely new desktop if you will ever want to change to a different company.

MOYcano 0.23

(08-27-2014, 04:51 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]It all depends on the ir setting and other graphic enhancements you will use. If you use 1x ir similar Intel cpus will be clearly faster than Amd cpus in dolphin. In high ir settings they might get even without a discreet gpu but i have no test results to show you. Still though since gpus are easier to add/replace in desktop it is definitely better to go for the cpu first, and later get a discreet gpu of your choice to cover your needs. With the cpu you will be stuck until you buy an entirely new desktop if you will ever want to change to a different company.

Well, yes. The logical path should be to buy a good-or-great Intel CPU (after all, this will be also my home-working station) and I can keep using my HD5770 for the video part.

However, my friends often ask me for advice when building modest PCs. For them, AMD's APUs are great solutions for everyday use; but what about Dolphin emu / how good are the A10-78xx on their own? The processor part seems to be good enough, and in no-discrete video card configurations should be theoretically better than this generation Intel i3s (at least).

I guess that the real answer can only comes from actual users with modern APUs in their game gears... having no-discrete video cards.
When I give PC building advice, I tell them if they ever want to play Dolphin/PCSX2, go with Intel