Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Terrible Wind Waker performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Revrant

I'm hoping my PC isn't too slow, on the default settings I'm getting 17fps max on Wind Waker, specs are as follows.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
Radeon 7850 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 32bit

Anything else feel free to ask.
Try overclocking. Your CPU is old, though, so getting low speed on some games wouldn´t be that much of a surprise.

Revrant

(08-25-2014, 08:36 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Try overclocking. Your CPU is old, though, so getting low speed on some games wouldn´t be that much of a surprise.

Seriously? Overclocking the CPU? Isn't this game and tech from like 2001? How many ghz do you need to get 20+fps?
(08-25-2014, 08:44 AM)Revrant Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously? Overclocking the CPU? Isn't this game and tech from like 2001? How many ghz do you need to get 20+fps?

Ahh, newcomers. First read that...

And now, the other issue: your CPU is old and have low IPC rate (common to AMD CPUs). That means it'll need to run a much higher GHz to get the same performance of a recent i3 running at 2-3GHz... For more details you can check Dolphin benchmarks. Actually, one of them used Zelda Wind Waker as base game, but I'm too lazy to point you the thread now, do a search and you'll find it...

Revrant

(08-25-2014, 08:53 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2014, 08:44 AM)Revrant Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously? Overclocking the CPU? Isn't this game and tech from like 2001? How many ghz do you need to get 20+fps?

Ahh, newcomers. First read that...

And now, the other issue: your CPU is old and have low IPC rate (common to AMD CPUs). That means it'll need to run a much higher GHz to get the same performance of a recent i3 running at 2-3GHz... For more details you can check Dolphin benchmarks. Actually, one of them used Zelda Wind Waker as base game, but I'm too lazy to point you the thread now, do a search and you'll find it...

I forget older consoles were designed like something from M.C. Escher, Intel just has more IPCs, so it's not a matter of performance but simple compatibility, that is a downer, I guess I have to try overclocking some.
(08-25-2014, 08:59 AM)Revrant Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I have to try overclocking some.

It should be enough for Zelda WW (around 3.7-3.9). But don't expect too much with some more demanding games
(08-25-2014, 09:54 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2014, 08:59 AM)Revrant Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I have to try overclocking some.

It should be enough for Zelda WW (around 3.7-3.9). But don't expect too much with some more demanding games

Running 3.4 on a slightly slower core, smaller caches, and a crappy motherboard without regular speed dips. I don't know what it is with you people and far over-estimating this stuff.
Please install Windows 7/8 64bit and use Dolphin 64bit which is faster than Dolphin 32bit .
(08-25-2014, 08:25 AM)Revrant Wrote: [ -> ]I'm hoping my PC isn't too slow, on the default settings I'm getting 17fps max on Wind Waker, specs are as follows.

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
Radeon 7850 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 32bit

Anything else feel free to ask.

also note your cpu gets smoked by a intel c2q e700 which is still pretty old..
No it doesn't. The hell is with everyone in the hardware section as of late and getting everything wrong? Did someone who got everything right leave? Or someone who actually ca-- oh wait, yeah, I did.

Getting 17FPS in Wind Waker on that computer is unnatural, and can mainly be fixed by one thing: upgrading to 64-bit windows and using a newer version of dolphin.

Given my own testing, it would only take that and a small amount of properly-executed overclocking to get 30fps in wind waker.

I have a slightly lesser base CPU than OP's, and the OC that did it for me was from stock (2.8ghz core and 1.6ghz CPU-NB) to 3.64ghz core and 2.60ghz CPU-NB. Shouldn't be difficult to reach on a BE CPU.
Pages: 1 2