Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Lag with new laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey everyone, I have a new laptop its a sager np7358
here are the specs

4th Generation Intel® Mobile Core i7-4710MQ Haswell Processor
Intel® HM87 Chipset
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 860M GDDR5 (2.0GB) w/ Optimus Technology
8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1600MHz RAM

Those are the main needed specs, if you need anything else let me know or look up the laptop.
But I'm having issues, I'm lagging while playing smash bros brawl a bit and super mario galaxy 2 along a little graphics stutter and also with a little audio stutter.
Its not serious lag but its around 50 fps not running at the full 60.
And with full screen its between 30 and 40 fps.

The settings are set on the lowest possible settings, the resolution isn't set to anything but auto and x1 I tried to switch between them. And the problem gets worse when I full screen dolphin.
I don't see why I'm having any issues my old asus laptop that was weaker could run this without any issues.
I've tried the stable release and the latest release.
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should
Use this guide to max out your laptop performance : Set CPU muliplier = 33 or 34 to force CPU runinng at 3.3GHz or 3.4GHz , set Nvidia GPU via control panel (if you don't , Intel HD 4600 will be used instead of Nvidia GTX 860M) ....
Your GTX 860M should be able to handle at least 3xIR in SMG 1& 2
(08-23-2014, 09:37 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should
Use this guide to max out your laptop performance : Set CPU muliplier = 33 or 34 to force CPU runinng at 3.3GHz or 3.4GHz , set Nvidia GPU via control panel (if you don't , Intel HD 4600 will be used instead of Nvidia GTX 860M) ....
Your GTX 860M should be able to handle at least 3xIR in SMG 1& 2

I opened the throttlestop and my thing multiplier was set at 65t so I set it down to 34 well 35 I think thats what you were talking about and the guide also.
I tried 3x native res and im getting between 20-40 fps, I set it for it to use the nvidia card.
When I start my game it does say its using intel card but I assume thats the settings since in dolphin its set to the intel card and I don't have the choice for my nvidia card.
Please post a screenshot of Realtemp and Nvidia Inspector when Dolphin is running
(08-24-2014, 10:28 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Please post a screenshot of Realtemp and Nvidia Inspector when Dolphin is running

Here is the screenshot as you asked, I think this is it,
[Image: 10ng7yc.png]

I see the problem, dolphin is still not using my nvidia card. Nvidia activity isn't reporting dolphin using nvidia. It shows no programs using when I run dolphin.
I am assuming your using this guide

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide

Your frame dips could be caused by overheating 95 degrees is bit high, you could try downclocking the CPU (set to multiplier to either 30,31,32 or 33) since that processor is fast anyway. The dedicated GPU should be set via the nvidia control panel then searching for the dolphin program, when you found the program set the performance maxiumum peformance. Done correctly, when you start dolphin it will only be using the nvidia gpu. However if the CPU/GPU throttles it may still cause frame dips.

Intel XTU or Throttlestop 7.00 can be used to undervolt the CPU to control temperatures a bit better

IMO haswell processors run hot anyway especially in notebooks.

Another thing you could try is render to window in the dolphin graphics settings that seemed to work for me with speed ups
That Sager np7358 version is not belong to gaming laptop line . It's has only one fansink for both CPU and GPU
Gaming laptop must have two fansinks otherwise it will overheat . Why? Gaming laptop use high-end CPU and high-end GPU that have monstrous power consumption (higher power consumption = higher temp ). Your CPU is running at 2.5GHz , you still get 88 degree Celsius which pretty damn high and dangerous . If your CPU run at maximum speed (3.4GHz) , you laptop will melt for sure . That's why throttlestop didn't let your CPU go any further
Sager sell customizable laptop . Did you select after market thermal compound "Arctic MX-4" or "IC diamond" when you customized this laptop ? If you don't , OEM thermal pound will be the default TC . OEM TC suck
I have set dolphin to be using the nvidia card that's what I don't understand about it.
My sager I got the default thermal compound I didn't get anything extra but the hard drive since it was a free upgrade.
No wonder why it run too hot . You should disable Nvidia GPU completely or force Dolphin to use Intel HD 4600 via Nvidia Control Panel . This will help you to lower the temp . Let see if throttlestop can make your CPU run better
You will need to fork out $6 for IC diamond 7 carat if you want your laptop to last longer
http://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling...pd_cp_pc_0
I notice that it does run very hot, I usually have something I bought that I place my laptop on that has 2 fans cool it and to place it on a surface thats not my self or bed.
So I shouldn't use my nvidia card at all?
Should I run throttlestop at around 33?
What would I do with that diamond 7 carat?
Pages: 1 2 3