Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will My Computer Build Be Able To Run GameCube Games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

ConradeCllin

I recently built a computer (the specs are listed below) and I was wondering if it would be able to handle playing GameCube games at 720p. I only plan on playing GameCube games, I have a Wii U so I don't have to worry about running Wii games. Any tips and tricks on how to make the games run faster are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Forgot the specs of my build.
i3-4370
Gtx 750 ti
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Windows 7 x64
That i3 processor is great for dolphin you should be able to run the majority of the games with that there are only a few demanding games that may require an i5-4670k/i5 4690k/ i7 4770k/4790k at 4.5ghz like twilight princess on hyrule field (without the ztp hack, but with the hack that i3 is probably good enough). The 750 ti seems good enough for the graphics to be run at that level.

If you are just using dolphin mainly then you could probably get the pentium anniversary that would give you more speed in dolphin but only if you overclock it to 4.5ghz like the i5/i7 processors suggested, the stock speed of the i3 is better that the pentium anniversary but the pentium anniversary can be overclocked to higher speeds than that i3, however bare in mind that the pentium anniversary has only 2 cores while the i3 has 2 cores + 2 logical cores. Generally as a whole both CPU and GPU your have chosen are good enough for dolphin on the GC.
(08-21-2014, 02:41 AM)natnint4000 Wrote: [ -> ]That i3 processor is great for dolphin you should be able to run the majority of the games with that there are only a few demanding games that may require an i5-4670k/i5 4690k/ i7 4770k/4790k at 4.5ghz like twilight princess on hyrule field (without the ztp hack, but with the hack that i3 is probably good enough). The 750 ti seems good enough for the graphics to be run at that level.

If you are just using dolphin mainly then you could probably get the pentium anniversary that would give you more speed in dolphin but only if you overclock it to 4.5ghz like the i5/i7 processors suggested, the stock speed of the i3 is better that the pentium anniversary but the pentium anniversary can be overclocked to higher speeds than that i3, however bare in mind that the pentium anniversary has only 2 cores while the i3 has 2 cores + 2 logical cores. Generally as a whole both CPU and GPU your have chosen are good enough for dolphin on the GC.

Hi, I thought I'd hijack the thread a bit since I'm in almost the same exact situation (looking at I3 4370 + GTX 750 Ti).

To my questions: Would the setup work for Wii emulation on Dolphin also (is it a major difference from emulating GC?)? Is it possible to scale up to 720 and 1080p?

Thanks!
Wii and gc emulation demands are similar, so IMO yes that rig is fine
(10-20-2014, 12:47 AM)grottkjell Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-21-2014, 02:41 AM)natnint4000 Wrote: [ -> ]That i3 processor is great for dolphin you should be able to run the majority of the games with that there are only a few demanding games that may require an i5-4670k/i5 4690k/ i7 4770k/4790k at 4.5ghz like twilight princess on hyrule field (without the ztp hack, but with the hack that i3 is probably good enough). The 750 ti seems good enough for the graphics to be run at that level.

Hi, I thought I'd hijack the thread a bit since I'm in almost the same exact situation (looking at I3 4370 + GTX 750 Ti).

To my questions: Would the setup work for Wii emulation on Dolphin also (is it a major difference from emulating GC?)? Is it possible to scale up to 720 and 1080p?

Thanks!

If you haven't already committed then the Pentium G3258 + Z97 mobo is a better choice. OC'd, the pentium performs similiar to the top cpus in Dolphin while the i3 will only be above average and will not have the capability of overclocking.
(10-20-2014, 06:42 AM)yl-smash Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-20-2014, 12:47 AM)grottkjell Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks!

If you haven't already committed then the Pentium G3258 + Z97 mobo is a better choice. OC'd, the pentium performs similiar to the top cpus in Dolphin while the i3 will only be above average and will not have the capability of overclocking.

Haven't fully commited, still considering the G3258. I'm not quite sure how my system will handle, coolingwise. The plan is for a http://www.in-win.com.tw/Corporate/e...=view&id=BP671 -case with better CPU-cooler and another casefan (both Noctua). For a PSU i was thinking http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/496 and then the previously mentioned CPU (G3258) and GPU (GTX 750Ti low profile, will need some carving in the case to fit it).

So I'm not sure if the case will get to warm or not with this setup, you guys got any insight? Smile

Cheers! // Grottkjell
An overclocked G3258 will put out similar levels of heat to a stock 4690K, so in most cases the stock cooler is adequate.
(10-21-2014, 07:52 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]An overclocked G3258 will put out similar levels of heat to a stock 4690K, so in most cases the stock cooler is adequate.

Even in the setup I specified? Considering the small case? I'm also worried about noise levels, but that's another matter.

Although, regarding cooling I should have an edge since I will be switching to the CPU cooler http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=produ...=50&lng=en.

// Grottkjell
The stock cooler is meant to dissipate the heat of a light overclock on the i5-4690K/i7-4790K, so it can can definitely handle the G3258 with a lower TDP with the max overclock. (This has been discussed on here before)

The Noctua will also be fine
I just want to throw this out there so you're aware, the G3258 is a dual-core whereas a high end i5 is a quad. Even though you might get the same clock speeds if you OC the Pentium, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be just as good. There also is the problem with background applications, particularly with antivirus, windows services, and other background applications. I've seen people mention on the forums that the difference in performance can easily be 10-20% if Dolphin is fighting other applications for CPU priority. That 10-20% could mean the difference between playable and unplayable on the most demanding games. The extra $100 or so is well spent if you want to ensure consistent performance no matter what else might be running at the same time.
Pages: 1 2