Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Solved] wind waker running slow with G1630 & GTX 750
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
UPDATE: SO I resolved this issue. I realized 2 things:

1) I needed to update to windows 7 Service pack 1 so I could reach the 30 FPS I was getting before, which I forgot I did have installed before.
2) Even though I get 30 FPS in wind waker, my CPU is still a botteneck for Dolphin as a whole.

It's pretty much maxed out right now getting those 30 FPS lol, poor old G1630. oh well if it dies i'll buy a new one. Great forum! thanks for all the help!

------------------------------------------------------------
What's up everyone! First time posting so Big Grin

So I'm having trouble emulating certain games with the setup below. I was recently rocking the setup below with a HD 6670, using the all default settings except on graphics (running internal resolution at 2X) . There were some days I played wind waker for hours at 30 FPS with no dropped frames or lag what so ever. Other days it would be stuck at 22-25 FPS. I could play smash bros. melee fine with it always at 60 FPS. I then learned the HD 6670 card was bad and returned it (BSOD, random glitches throughout all applications)

I bought a brand new Zotac card as listed below. My PC now runs without being glitchy now but it now runs dolphin worse, The highest I've gotten playing wind waker is 25 FPS but it barely gets there, usually hovering around 20 :'(. and now smash bros runs around 40-50 FPS with glitches everywhere lol

What gives. I had a older defective card and it ran better than my brand new card that's obviously stronger. the gtx 750 even has GDDR5 compared to the 6670 having GDDR3. the only difference between them would be the 6670 having 2GB of RAM compared to the zotac card having 1 GB.

I've also seen benchmarks showing my G1630 processor to be on par with some i3's which from youtube can def run wind waker.

Please any and all help would be great, and I'll respond quick since I'm online now lol, THANKS!!

----------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Celeron G1630 @ 2.8 Dual Core
Zotac GTX 750 (70702-10M)
G.skill Ripjaw 4 GB
MSI H61M-P31/W8

Dolphin Build 4.0.2 2879
An ivy bridge at 2.8GHz? i think it may be your processor causing the 'bottleneck' and slow downs in game
(08-12-2014, 05:07 PM)natnint4000 Wrote: [ -> ]An ivy bridge at 2.8GHz? i think it may be your processor causing the 'bottleneck' and slow downs in game

naturally I would agree with you, I know dolphin recommends an i5 or better. But I was able to get 30 FPS with wind waker previously without changing any settings. I feel like there's more to this story.
You might be running into some driver issues? Are you sure that you have all the old drivers from AMD removed?
Also, how does it perform at native resolution?
(08-12-2014, 11:18 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You might be running into some driver issues? Are you sure that you have all the old drivers from AMD removed?
Also, how does it perform at native resolution?

At native resolution I experienced the same inconsistencies. some days 30 FPS some days no 30 FPS. Also I actually wrote that I got rid of the 6670 because it was bad and I'm having worst performance from my currently owned GTX 750.

I'm running nvidia's latest drivers with the 750 and I've only tried running at native resolution and getting 20 - 25 FPS with windwaker.
Go into nvidia Control Panel and make sure Dolphin is set to maximum power management.
See here for what i mean: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide
(08-13-2014, 01:13 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Go into nvidia Control Panel and make sure Dolphin is set to maximum power management.
See here for what i mean: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide

what you tagged me in refers to power management not the nvidia panel lol. But power management CPU settings are set to scale to 100% when needed.
Read it again ! Especially part 2 : GPU performance
(08-13-2014, 02:14 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Read it again ! Especially part 2 : GPU performance

whoops my bad, didn't see the two little sections at the bottom lol. I'm reading and making those adjustments now. So it doesn't matter that I'm not using a laptop?

Also in that guide what does this mean " Warning : Do not select Nvidia GPU via Dolphin configuration ! . You're supposed to do it via Nvidia Control Panel , leave the Dolphin - Graphic Config as Intel HD . Don't worry , Dolphin still uses Nvidia GPU even if it shows Intel HD . Make sure you have Intel graphic driver installed before you install Nvidia GPU driver" why would the intel or intergrated driver have to be installed first?
Thats for laptops Tongue
If Dolphin defaults the graphics adpter in the dropdown to Intel, leave it at that. If it defaults to Nvidia, then leave it at that.

You may want to install the DirectX web installer again
Pages: 1 2