Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New to dolphin, building a box.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
You've got me interested. Do you have a recommendation for a guide or something similar to overclock the processor? And what do you recommend as a mini-ITX? Would the Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI be a good board to support the processor?

Thank you for your time,

Ties
I'm pretty sure Z97 and Devil's Canyon still use the on-die VRM from regular Haswell, so any Z97 board should be fine for an overclock. It's other features (eg WiFi, sound chip etc) and build quality (How long it'll last and if the BIOS is terrible etc) that are your deciding factors.
(06-29-2014, 08:35 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Pentium G3258 (2 cores 2 threads) can be pushed to 4.6GHz with Intel stock fan .

Although I would not advise anyone to overclock ANYTHING with a stock cooler. My old i7-2600 would consistently hit high 80s on that thing. Then again, my old build was poorly maintained and poorly cooled.
That Pentium is a 53W part, whereas the i7's a 95W part, so it'll take far less to cool the Pentium. As well as this, 80° isn't that hot for a modern CPU, as long as it's a peak temperature. The system would shut itself down before any permanent damage occurred, so major failure's not a possibility, and if a part gets that hot with Intel's cooler, then it's clearly within Intel's specification for the part.
I honestly don't get why we're recommending a Dual Core. Dual Cores are yesterday's tech and the only thing I would recommend that has 2 cores are Intel's i3 series which has 4 threads and better single threaded performance out of the box. Also if this is a htpc why would you overclock? It makes way more sense to get a build that works for you out of the box then to build something that you have to increase Heat output and electric output which is kind of important when building something like a HTPC. Plus the fan will spin faster to cool the Pentium resulting in a loud fan which he doesn't want. It would be way smarter to buy the i3 then the Pentium g3258. Plus a i3-4130 + MSI H81 cost less then a Pentium g3258 + MSI Z97 + a silent cpu fan.
(07-05-2014, 04:43 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly don't get why we're recommending a Dual Core. Dual Cores are yesterday's tech and the only thing I would recommend that has 2 cores are Intel's i3 series which has 4 threads and better single threaded performance out of the box. Also if this is a htpc why would you overclock? It makes way more sense to get a build that works for you out of the box then to build something that you have to increase Heat output and electric output which is kind of important when building something like a HTPC. Plus the fan will spin faster to cool the Pentium resulting in a loud fan which he doesn't want. It would be way smarter to buy the i3 then the Pentium g3258. Plus a i3-4130 + MSI H81 cost less then a Pentium g3258 + MSI Z97 + a silent cpu fan.

The good part about the pentium annyversary is that if dolphin requirements increase he can still play games full speed with the OC
And about the fan noise, that would be up to him/her. I mean, if he/she doesn´t really care about noises or anything and he just want to enjoy his/her machine the stock cooler is more than enough as mentioned before.
(07-05-2014, 06:10 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]And about the fan noise, that would be up to him/her. I mean, if he/she doesn´t really care about noises or anything and he just want to enjoy his/her machine the stock cooler is more than enough as mentioned before.

They already said they want a silent or close to silent HTPC.
Quote:Plus the fan will spin faster to cool the Pentium resulting in a loud fan which he doesn't want.
The fan will only be spinning fast when the CPU is at 4.6GHZ, and he's playing Dolphin at full speed. It will still be silent while it's playing videos or Steam games.
(07-05-2014, 06:20 AM)artantaaa Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Plus the fan will spin faster to cool the Pentium resulting in a loud fan which he doesn't want.
The fan will only be spinning fast when the CPU is at 4.6GHZ, and he's playing Dolphin at full speed. It will still be silent while it's playing videos or Steam games.

It will have to be clocked to 4.6ghz to beat the i3-4130 in new Steam Games. Plus the i3-4130 > i5-3570k which can play Twilight Princess at a playable frame rate now so honestly there's no point to the Pentium g3258 other then being a chip for people who like to be nostalgic about the days of old when it comes to dolphin.
Pages: 1 2 3