Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New to dolphin, building a box.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:Plus a i3-4130 + MSI H81 cost less then a Pentium g3258 + MSI Z97 + a silent cpu fan.
I'm on a Core 2 duo client system here . Without overclocking , the Intel Stock cooler is still noisy when CPU is at full load or when the system is turned on
A silent CPU heatsink is a must
Quote:Plus the i3-4130 > i5-3570k which can play Twilight Princess at a playable frame rate now so honestly there's no point to the Pentium g3258 other then being a chip for people who like to be nostalgic about the days of old when it comes to dolphin.
You sound like 4.6GHz Pentium isn't better than 3.4GHz i3 in Dolphin . It's 36% improvement in speed
Quote:It will have to be clocked to 4.6ghz to beat the i3-4130 in new Steam Games. Plus the i3-4130 > i5-3570k which can play Twilight Princess at a playable frame rate now so honestly there's no point to the Pentium g3258 other then being a chip for people who like to be nostalgic about the days of old when it comes to dolphin.

Isn't Twilight princess one of the games that currently can't run full speed on any computer, at least in certain parts of the game? I'm thinking of ordering a G3258, and I'm having trouble seeing any advantage a locked and lower clocked i3 has over it. Dolphin is faster with hyperthreading disabled, at least I've seen this recommended on the forum more than a few times. I don't use Steam, but won't those games run fine on any recent CPU? Will the hyperthreading on the i3 matter? It seems like the G3258 will deliver maximum Dolphin performance for almost $200 less than the 4690K.

Quote:I'm on a Core 2 duo client system here . Without overclocking , the Intel Stock cooler is still noisy when CPU is at full load or when the system is turned on. A silent CPU heatsink is a must

Yeah, the stock cooler is pretty far from silent. I just meant it would throttle back down to the same speed it would be for the i3 when it wasn't running Dolphin. I don't care much about the fan noise, but I'll probably use a better heatsink just for the extra cooling. It's nice to know the stock one can handle an overclock though.
(07-05-2014, 12:41 PM)artantaaa Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:It will have to be clocked to 4.6ghz to beat the i3-4130 in new Steam Games. Plus the i3-4130 > i5-3570k which can play Twilight Princess at a playable frame rate now so honestly there's no point to the Pentium g3258 other then being a chip for people who like to be nostalgic about the days of old when it comes to dolphin.

Isn't Twilight princess one of the games that currently can't run full speed on any computer, at least in certain parts of the game? I'm thinking of ordering a G3258, and I'm having trouble seeing any advantage a locked and lower clocked i3 has over it. Dolphin is faster with hyperthreading disabled, at least I've seen this recommended on the forum more than a few times. I don't use Steam, but won't those games run fine on any recent CPU? Will the hyperthreading on the i3 matter? It seems like the G3258 will deliver maximum Dolphin performance for almost $200 less than the 4690K.

Quote:I'm on a Core 2 duo client system here . Without overclocking , the Intel Stock cooler is still noisy when CPU is at full load or when the system is turned on. A silent CPU heatsink is a must

Yeah, the stock cooler is pretty far from silent. I just meant it would throttle back down to the same speed it would be for the i3 when it wasn't running Dolphin. I don't care much about the fan noise, but I'll probably use a better heatsink just for the extra cooling. It's nice to know the stock one can handle an overclock though.

I said Playable. Not full speed. Also look at any review for the Pentium G3258. At stock clocks it cant keep up with the i3-4130 and at overclocked speeds its just as fast. More and more games are starting to use 8 cores due to the consoles being 8 cores so there really is no point of getting a dual core in this day and age.
Quote:I said Playable. Not full speed.

I played through TP a few years ago on a Core2Duo. Most of the game was playable, but Hyrule Field and various other spots were really slow. So slow that I probably skipped lots of stuff because I didn't want to explore in slo-mo. Of course it wouldn't be so bad with any newer CPU, but my point is that you want it to run as fast as possible.

Quote:Also look at any review for the Pentium G3258. At stock clocks it cant keep up with the i3-4130 and at overclocked speeds its just as fast.

I did look at some reviews, and the hyperthreading in the i3 does give it a slight advantage in PC games that can take advantage of 3 or more cores. It varies by game, but the speed boost is minimal, and doesn't even matter if the G3258 is overclocked. In Dolphin though, It's 36% improvement in speed. The two systems are about the same price. They both make the same amount of noise. The G3258 though, will run Dolphin significantly faster. Not only that, but you could drop a Broadwell CPU in that Z97 board when they come out if you wanted to.

Quote:More and more games are starting to use 8 cores due to the consoles being 8 cores so there really is no point of getting a dual core in this day and age.

The i3-4130 is a dual core CPU.
(07-05-2014, 02:40 PM)artantaaa Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I said Playable. Not full speed.

I played through TP a few years ago on a Core2Duo. Most of the game was playable, but Hyrule Field and various other spots were really slow. So slow that I probably skipped lots of stuff because I didn't want to explore in slo-mo. Of course it wouldn't be so bad with any newer CPU, but my point is that you want it to run as fast as possible.

Quote:Also look at any review for the Pentium G3258. At stock clocks it cant keep up with the i3-4130 and at overclocked speeds its just as fast.

I did look at some reviews, and the hyperthreading in the i3 does give it a slight advantage in PC games that can take advantage of 3 or more cores. It varies by game, but the speed boost is minimal, and doesn't even matter if the G3258 is overclocked. In Dolphin though, It's 36% improvement in speed. The two systems are about the same price. They both make the same amount of noise. The G3258 though, will run Dolphin significantly faster. Not only that, but you could drop a Broadwell CPU in that Z97 board when they come out if you wanted to.

Quote:More and more games are starting to use 8 cores due to the consoles being 8 cores so there really is no point of getting a dual core in this day and age.

The i3-4130 is a dual core CPU.

It has 4 threads. Also can someone link me this improvement?

Also did you compare this to a Core2Duo? This CPU would ROFLstomp a Core2Duo in any application.
(07-05-2014, 04:17 PM)artantaaa Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin Benchmark

The Pentium G3258 isn't there. At all.
It's here
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...mark-g3258
Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz : 6mins 49secs
i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz : 6mins 59secs (based on Dolphin Benchmark data)
I'm surprised it's even faster than that i7 . I thought Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz = i5 4670k @ 4.0GHz since Dolphin does have some benefit from background processing
Edit : Could anyone update the benchmark , please ? Tongue
(07-06-2014, 03:30 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]It's here
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...mark-g3258
Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz : 6mins 49secs
i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz : 6mins 59secs (based on Dolphin Benchmark data)
I'm surprised it's even faster than that i7 . I thought Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz = i5 4670k @ 4.0GHz since Dolphin does have some benefit from background processing
Edit : Could anyone update the benchmark , please ? Tongue

Could we get some game testing please? Benchmarks are nice and all but I'd like to see some actual performance in Dolphin.
Quote:The Pentium G3258 isn't there. At all.

Even though no one had posted their results specifically for the G3258 until today, it doesn't really matter. When comparing two CPU's of same architecture, the higher clocked one will be faster. Since Dolphin only uses two cores, quads and hyperthreaded dual cores don't have much of an advantage. I would guess that the only reason the G3258@4.5GHz didn't beat the 4670K@4.4GHz is because it also had to run Windows on the same cores that were running Dolphin.
Pages: 1 2 3