Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Thought Experiment: The Best Possible Specs for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With the release of several new processors and graphics cards by Intel, AMD, and Nvidia, I wanted to see what effect it had on Dolphin.
So my question is a hypothetical thought experiment:
Money is absolutely no issue whatsoever.
What are the absolute best (consumer) components to get the best possible performance in Dolphin?
For example, I already know that hyperthreading and dual-core graphics do not make a difference in Dophin. So we are looking at processors with the best dual-core performance and the best single-core graphics card.

CPU: i5 4670K (OC it!)
GPU: Nvidia 780 Ti?
Mobo: Whatever overclocks the best?
RAM: Does type of ram even matter?
SSD: Does SSD effect Dolphin?
etc.

It's basically a fantasy, but I'm curious what the end result would be like and projections for how Dophin would actually run in this "best possible scenario".
If this hypothetical situation can wait for a little bit, the CPU should be swapped for the 4790K, as it overclocks like a beast.
i5 4670k and i7 4770k won't cut it . See :
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-oc...t-princess

So i would recommend sth like this :
i7 4790k @ 5.0~5.5GHz (OC better than any Sandy/Ivy/Haswell CPU)
Z97 mobo in $150 price range
Any 1600MHz DDR3 Ram or higher bus speed . Amount of ram doesn't matter , 4GB or higher is fine
SSD doesn't matter much but you better have one Big Grin
Quote:GPU: Nvidia 780 Ti?
It's the fastest single GPU atm . So yes
There are faster Tesla-series GPUs (at 5x the price), but they can be funny with games, can't they?
780ti? That overpriced POS? I would honestly rather have a r9-290. It has a waaaaay better price to performance ratio and has more video memory bandwith. (If you thought i meant R9-290x just no. That is also a overprice POS.)
And much, much shittier integer performance, which is what Dolphin wants. That's why something with that or another Tesla chip is necessary.
(06-11-2014, 12:07 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]And much, much shittier integer performance, which is what Dolphin wants. That's why something with that or another Tesla chip is necessary.

Pretty sure its the other way around. Titans are the GPUs with great integer performance. Gtx 780ti has shitty integer performance just like the GTX 780 and 600 series.
The 780, 780 Ti, Titan, Titan Black and Titan Z all use the same chip. The differences are as follows:

780: crippled core count, no dp float enabled, 3GB VRAM, highish clocks.
780 Ti: full core count, no dp float enabled, 3GB VRAM, high clocks (can be overclocked to have the highest)
Titan: reduced core count, dp float enabled, 6GB VRAM, high clocks.
Titan Black: full core count, dp float enabled, 6GB VRAM, highest clocks (but can be overtaken by a 780 Ti as it's not as great an overclocker, possibly due to the dp fp ALUs drawing power too or something like that)
Titan Z: 2x full core count, dp float enabled, 2x6GB VRAM, highish clocks

The integer support isn't different between the cards as for people who want to use the cards for compute purposes, the double precision floating point ALUs being enabled and the extra VRAM are already enough of an incentive to not buy the gaming cards. It's basically just Dolphin that uses integers so much for gaming purposes, and as it doesn't need huge amounts of VRAM or 64-bit floats on the GPU, a fully OC'd 780 Ti wins.
(06-11-2014, 08:05 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]The 780, 780 Ti, Titan, Titan Black and Titan Z all use the same chip. The differences are as follows:

780: crippled core count, no dp float enabled, 3GB VRAM, highish clocks.
780 Ti: full core count, no dp float enabled, 3GB VRAM, high clocks (can be overclocked to have the highest)
Titan: reduced core count, dp float enabled, 6GB VRAM, high clocks.
Titan Black: full core count, dp float enabled, 6GB VRAM, highest clocks (but can be overtaken by a 780 Ti as it's not as great an overclocker, possibly due to the dp fp ALUs drawing power too or something like that)
Titan Z: 2x full core count, dp float enabled, 2x6GB VRAM, highish clocks

The integer support isn't different between the cards as for people who want to use the cards for compute purposes, the double precision floating point ALUs being enabled and the extra VRAM are already enough of an incentive to not buy the gaming cards. It's basically just Dolphin that uses integers so much for gaming purposes, and as it doesn't need huge amounts of VRAM or 64-bit floats on the GPU, a fully OC'd 780 Ti wins.

It doesn't make sense to say a fully OC'd 780ti would win. OCing would skew results.
But dolphin doesn't benefit from dual-precision, more memory, or extra GPUs, so it really would.
Pages: 1 2 3