Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My New Dolphin Rig (Is it good enough?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3P51m

I want to play all gamecube games and most if not all Wii games. I also plan to use this PC for other stuff besides dolphin.
I also want to overclock my i5, do I have a good MoBo/Cooler? How well will my graphics card handle dolphin? What resolution will I be able to do? I want to be able to do 2x native.

Also do I have a good case?

P.S. I want to cut down on the price a bit, if you have any suggestions let me know.
P.P.S. Eventually I plan to double my RAM to get 16GB.
You don´t need that much RAM for Dolphin (4GB is fine). Most people recommend the Z87 mobo of MSI. Your cooler should be enough. Yes your card can handle 2X on almost any game (some little excpetions, no more.)Tongue

Have a nice play with that machine.
(05-23-2014, 09:38 AM)Buddybenj Wrote: [ -> ]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3P51m

I want to play all gamecube games and most if not all Wii games. I also plan to use this PC for other stuff besides dolphin.
I also want to overclock my i5, do I have a good MoBo/Cooler? How well will my graphics card handle dolphin? What resolution will I be able to do? I want to be able to do 2x native.

Also do I have a good case?

P.S. I want to cut down on the price a bit, if you have any suggestions let me know.
P.P.S. Eventually I plan to double my RAM to get 16GB.

You can do 4x Native plus AA and still be fine. If you just want 2x Native you don't really need a GPU. Also the more ram you get while using a SSD the better so even if you won't need it for gaming it will help your SSD's lifespan. You can do any resolution really. The internal resolution is what actually increases visual quality/ increases demand on GPU.
(05-23-2014, 09:51 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]You don´t need that much RAM for Dolphin (4GB is fine). Most people recommend the Z87 mobo of MSI. Your cooler should be enough. Yes your card can handle 2X on almost any game (some little excpetions, no more.)Tongue

Have a nice play with that machine.

I know I don't need that much RAM for Dolphin however more RAM will help in a lot of other areas (i.e. non-Dolphin stuff/applications).

Also with my current cooler and MoBo what do you think I could overclock my i5 to (while still being safe and insuring my processor will last a long time)?

EDIT: Does anybody know if I will be able to play Super Mario Galaxy at full speed (with 2x native)?
(05-23-2014, 10:46 AM)Buddybenj Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Does anybody know if I will be able to play Super Mario Galaxy at full speed (with 2x native)?

You won't have any issues playing this game at 2x IR, I can tell you that.
Get dual channel RAM.
(05-23-2014, 04:08 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Get dual channel RAM.

OK. I changed my RAM. Do you know if this is a dual channel kitl? I'm a noob about memory channels because I've never heard of it.

EDIT:

Should I change my motherboard? DJBarry004 said one of the MSI mother boards might be better. I'm not completely sure about how to choose a good motherboard. Also there seems to be a new version of the MoBo I have (I have GA-Z87X-UD3H and there is a GA-Z87X-UD4H).

But I want to make sure I can still have a good and stable overclock and it supports all the stuff I have and it supports dual channel like Anti-Ultimate said.
EDIT 2: Also I don't want a mother board that is more expensive than what I have now. I don't want to break the bank.

EDIT 3: All the previous changes I said I made I messed up on use this new link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Pu5m
That mobo has bad review on newegg , you should avoid it . Besides , onboard audio isn't good either
You should buy Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 or MSI Z87 G45 , these mobo have good onboard audio chips which are equivalent to a dedicated sound card .
Asrock board has gold-plated high end cap while MSI looks so bad ass . Either of them will be much better than that Gigabyte board
Dual channel = 2 sticks . Yes it is dual channel kit
If you can wait another few months, get the Haswell refresh for the i5-4670k. It will be better at overclocking and whatnot. You'll need to change to a Z97 motherboard for that, though
(05-24-2014, 08:43 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]That mobo has bad review on newegg , you should avoid it . Besides , onboard audio isn't good either
You should buy Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 or MSI Z87 G45 , these mobo have good onboard audio chips which are equivalent to a dedicated sound card .
Asrock board has gold-plated high end cap while MSI looks so bad ass . Either of them will be much better than that Gigabyte board
Dual channel = 2 sticks . Yes it is dual channel kit
It has good reviews on Amazon which is where the price from PCPartPicker came from. So I don't see what Newegg reviews have to do with it.
Pages: 1 2