Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help finding optimum settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi guys,
New here, thought I'd ask about any settings to get optimal performance in any/most games. I'm using an Asus G53SX Gaming Laptop (Circa 2012 I think) and whenever I play a game (tested House of the Dead: Overkill, Super Mario Sunshine, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Metroid Prime Trilogy) I can get no more than 25 FPS. I've tried many, MANY different combinations of settings, but I've never touched the check boxes. I've only changed anti-aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, Internal Resolution, all the backends, and my resolution. I've tried max settings, minimum settings, and nothing works (the audio is always distorted too). Any suggestions (especially people with the same computer) would be greatly appreciated
My specs are
nVidia GTX 560M w/2gb VRAM
12gb ram
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Dolphin version 4.0.1
Thanks everyone!

EDIT (Missed something in the rules):
Games I'm trying to run (including the ones above): Super Smash Bros Brawl, Tony Hawks PS3/4, LoZ Twilight Princess
And the weird thing is I would get better performance at higher settings than lower ones (if only slightly)
Your CPU seems to be slow for most games.
No, it isn't. That CPU is quite much better than my own, and I can play SMS no problems (well, could, as of 3.5. Don't know if this is still so; I lost my rip of SMS in a drive cleaning, thinking that I still possessed the disc, but alas, no disc could be found). This is a different issue, DJBarry.

Post a screenshot of your current settings so we can tell you if anything's explicitly wrong. We need all of the emulation-related windows, including all of the graphics stuff.
(04-27-2014, 10:58 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]No, it isn't. That CPU is quite much better than my own, and I can play SMS no problems (well, could, as of 3.5. Don't know if this is still so; I lost my rip of SMS in a drive cleaning, thinking that I still possessed the disc, but alas, no disc could be found). This is a different issue, DJBarry.

Post a screenshot of your current settings so we can tell you if anything's explicitly wrong. We need all of the emulation-related windows, including all of the graphics stuff.

The anti-aliasing, anisotopic, & internal resolution are set to something to test with. Max AA/AS didn't impact performance at all, I found that I should have lower internal resolution, but other than that I still can't get past 25 FPS
I've been experimenting max/low/as many combinations inbetween I can think of yet nothing works. Also, I probably won't get a chance to look on this thread until tomorrow so if you have suggestions I should try I'll give 'em a shot as early as I can tomorrow
Thanks!

Forgot these ones too
Try a newer dev version, and, when you do, switch to XAudio.

Also, disable "auto adjust window size", it's not needed for fullscreen.
(04-27-2014, 12:58 PM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Also, disable "auto adjust window size", it's not needed for fullscreen.

What's the point of that advice? It's useful when it's not in fullscreen and doesn't do anything bad when in fullscreen (unless you're using early versions of comex's patch that changed the fullscreen method to OS X Lion's new one).
Feh, I say, if it doesn't do anything, don't enable it. Cleanliness.
...Eh. I usually go the opposite route and recalibrate if shit breaks.
I disabled Auto adjust and enabled XAudio. The audio comes in crystal clear now (thanks!) and it feels like the games I tested (THPS3 & SMS) run a little smoother but even after I toned down the settings it didn't really seem to do much.
I think it was a step in the right direction though, thanks!
Could you confirm turbo boost is running, i feel your CPU is still running at base clock 2.2GHz, download CPU-Z and observe the clock speed whilst dolphin is running.
Pages: 1 2 3