Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: saving without orginal MemoryCardA-file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

ich311

Hello everyone,
I am playing Pokemon Colosseum and need to do an ingame-save. I have a emulator save state 10 hours into the game, but I don't have my original MemoryCardA.USA.raw file, so every time I try to save the game tells me "The Memory Card in Slot A is not the same Memory Card used to load the save data. Please insert the original Memory Card in Slot A. Save failed!" (I guess Nintendo did this to prevent save file duplication). Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks in advance
I think if you start a new game and save it as soon as possible (keep the character name the same), and then load your save state, play around some, and then save, it will work .
I had an issue like this a long time ago, and I think that' how I fixed it
Yeah, that's along the lines of how LPFaint99 describes the process. For reference, here are his instructions:

LPFaint99 Wrote:try loading your savestate
while the game is loaded
open the config options and change slot1 to nothing, than change it back to memorycard
attempt to save ingame

if that doesnt work, repeat the process but first delete the old zelda save from the memorycard before loading the game and your savestate

Obviously, replace Zelda with Pokemon Wink
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-sa...#pid298269
The method quoted by Shonumi also works with Super Mario Sunshine (I got a similar problem while I was messing with save states)...
There's no way that would work. It's checking to see if the memory card is the same that the save was originally made on. If you no longer have that memory card, you're going to need to either recreate it, or hack the game's memory to look for the memory card you currently have. I'm not sure what it uses to identify the memory card, but if you figure that out, it should be easy enough to do.

ich311

I've tried the salutions mentioned above already, but they didn't work for me.
@RachelB I've found this in a different thread. Does it have to do something with the thing you mentioned? https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/archive/i...593-4.html
Maybe I should add, that the reason I need to do an ingame save, is that my save states are for dolphin 3.0-1.5.1 and I want to play on 4.0. But since the save states are not compatible I need to do it with the ingame save. So if anyone knows a method to update the save states or any other method to get my save running on 4.0 it would do it aswell.
Ah, yes, lots of good info in there. I guess you need to figure out what serial number you had when you first made the save file, and then edit the sram.bin file to match,

I guess the best way to do that would be to create a new save file, find the serial number in sram.bin, search the game's ram for it, find the address, and then load up your save state, and hopefully the serial you need will be at the same address.
Pokemon Colosseum is one a few games that actually will check this, FZero and PSO are the others iirc.
For all other games the method quoted by Shonumi should work

--edit--
sram.bin should be identical to when the other card was made, unless OP has used a memorycard dump from a real console
the memory card serial number also depends on the timestamp when the card was formatted.
the procedure to fix will be similar to above, but the Serial will need to be calculated from the memorycard.raw file not simply read from sram
(04-21-2014, 12:15 PM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]the memory card serial number also depends on the timestamp when the card was formatted.
Would I be correct in guessing that Dolphin uses a fixed timestamp when creating its memory card files? It isn't possible to copy PSO saves from one memory card to another on a real GC (without some significant tweaks to the card so that its parameters match those of the original), but I was able to create a new .raw memory card, copy PSO save files from one card to another with Dolphin's Memcard Manager, and still load the characters on the second card.
no, sorry the card serial number is just updated in the save file by the memorycard manager
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/b....cpp#L1368
Pages: 1 2