Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Changing Settings Work With States?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone this is my first post so I hope I'm posting in the correct forum.. My question is a simple one..Dolphin has come a long way it's quite amazing how good it works now so thank you to the programmers.. Anyway before I ask my question I want to explain why I'm asking. Lets use Mario Party 7 for gamecube.. It works great, almost perfect until I noticed during a mini game that the audio clicks and skips quite annoyingly..Still playable but I'm pretty sure I can change a setting to fix it.. When you change settings a game is not running. So basically if I want to change ONE of dozens of settings to see if that's causing the problem I have to exit completely, change the settings then reload the game and finally get to the minigame that had the problem to see if it now works correctly. That takes quite a bit of time if your trying to pinpoint the setting that's causing the problem.

My question is CAN you go to the minigame in question SAVE the state, exit, change settings, then reload the state. Will the settings be changed correctly? The same as if I didn't use a load state?
I know using states can be kind of finicky.. Before I attempted to change settings (using the faster loadstate method as oppose to waiting thru the whole game) I wanted to ask the experts before MAYBE wasting my time.. Thanks in advanced.
Are you sure you're not having slowdown during the transitions, which means it would be correct emulation for the audio to stutter/pop due to the game itself not being full speed?
(04-14-2014, 05:18 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure you're not having slowdown during the transitions, which means it would be correct emulation for the audio to stutter/pop due to the game itself not being full speed?

Thank you for the quick response. In other words, I should put the game in window mode and look at the top to see if the games running at 100% and/or 30FPS?
Even so could one change settings load the state and the settings changed would be applied?

What exactly do you mean transitions? Maybe I ripped the game wrong? Would playing from the drive work better.. Although I'm fairly sure the game itself works perfectly.. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Basically, your computer is a little bit underpowered for some games, so my thoughts are that the game itself is lagging. You can either turn on show framerate in graphics option or run it in windowed mode and observe fps/vps. If you ever see it dip below 100%, that's the cause of the audio popping.
Oh wow your kidding.. I wouldn't think my CPU is THAT much slower than an i5 or 7...wow...Ok I'll check that out.. But for future reference can you still change settings by saving your state changing the settings then loading the state without having to load the game and wait til you reach the problematic point..I was just using Mario Party as an example. What I really want to know was that.. Changing setting and having to start a game from the beginning having to watch the intro etc etc can be time consuming. Id much rather know that the settings will still be applied if I changed them then loaded a state. Do you know what I mean?
Depends on what settings you're changing, can you be more specific? A lot of settings in Dolphin can be changed while the game is running no problem.
(04-14-2014, 06:03 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on what settings you're changing, can you be more specific? A lot of settings in Dolphin can be changed while the game is running no problem.

Ok let's use all the settings when you right click a game under properties.. Can I save the state during a problem, change..lets say...the MMU speed hack.. Will that be applied when I load the state back up? So your saying only certain settings can be changed successfully during a loaded state and some you will have to reload the game altogether?.. Which settings can be applied that will still work after you load the state? ..or.. Which settings WONT work after you load the state?
MMU speedhack will make MP7 slower; not faster. It doesn't use the MMU at all; and using the speedhack is slower than not using it at all. And that setting will not be loaded in a savestate to my knowledge; or if it does, it'd probably cause a crash or other problems due to it being a runtime setting.
(04-14-2014, 06:27 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]MMU speedhack will make MP7 slower; not faster. It doesn't use the MMU at all; and using the speedhack is slower than not using it at all. And that setting will not be loaded in a savestate to my knowledge; or if it does, it'd probably cause a crash or other problems due to it being a runtime setting.

Ok so that pretty much answers my question..If you want to change settings to a game most settings wont work when you load a state your gonna have to change the settings then run the game from the beginning normally until you reach the point of problem..
most settings on that game properties page yes; but video settings will immediately take hold.
Pages: 1 2