Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Maxed Out Graphics Settings for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would like to max out graphics on Dolphin as much as possible with the new GPU I'm planning on getting. (GTX 780 ti classified). A heavy game like Last Story will do just find although it also depends on my CPU(4770k) as well which I will OC later if need be.

With IR on 4x won't have any benefit for me now since my monitor will only show the original 1920x1080. The GPU might as well be overkill for such resolution but I will buy a higher resolution monitor later on and besides the GPU will last longer in terms of gaming performance.

Now that I think about it I probably will have to OC my CPU. With revisions in the future for Dolphin hopefully gaming will rely more on the GPU rather than the CPU unless anyone disagrees. For graphics, it all comes down to visual appearance.

Any ideas you guys have just let me know.
I'm sorry what is your question or statement? What is the purpose of this thread?

Amario130 Wrote:With revisions in the future for Dolphin hopefully gaming will rely more on the GPU rather than the CPU unless anyone disagrees.

Just because you want it doesn't mean it's possible (or makes any sense at all). Your opinions don't dictate the laws of computer science.
(04-06-2014, 04:22 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry what is your question or statement? What is the purpose of this thread?

I basically want to test my GPU and CPU as much as possible with "at least" the sufficient amount of fps that a normal Wii would have and although I was looking towards the GPU, I've heard that Dolphin relies on the CPU. I understand that this definitely varies from game to game so I chose Last Story since I've heard that it's the most intensive.
On the other hand, enthusiastically speaking, I'd like to maximize all the graphics settings to see how far I can go even if I have fps lower than the standard of the game on the console so that it is NOT for gaming but for the simple delight of testing.

(04-06-2014, 04:22 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Just because you want it doesn't mean it's possible (or makes any sense at all). Your opinions don't dictate the laws of computer science.

PC games naturally rely on the GPU rather than the CPU and I am aware that Dolphin is an Emulator and relies on the CPU. Generally speaking, I believe gaming on a PC, emulation or not, should rely and have a good balance between the CPU and the GPU. If you disagree that's OK but I believe that anything is possible (virtually) in terms of progress in which indeed the knowledge of science is increasing to the point that men of the past thought was impossible.

Any games that are more stressful than Last Story?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I probably should just try out myself and play with the settings but any help is appreciated which is why I posted this thread.
I believe a stock 4770k is enough for The Last Story. However, you will run into fps issue with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess when roaming through hyrule field.
An OC'd 4770k isn't even enough for the last story
Where did you get that info from? I'm running TLS beyond full speed.
Have you played the later parts of the game in Lazuli City?
Quote:PC games naturally rely on the GPU rather than the CPU and I am aware that Dolphin is an Emulator and relies on the CPU. Generally speaking, I believe gaming on a PC, emulation or not, should rely and have a good balance between the CPU and the GPU. If you disagree that's OK but I believe that anything is possible (virtually) in terms of progress in which indeed the knowledge of science is increasing to the point that men of the past thought was impossible.
Sure, of course it's possible. But GPUs are laughably slow compared to cpus. Running more things on gpu would cause huge slow downs. GPUs are only useful because they can perform a huge amount of independent calculations at once. We can't benefit from that because when emulating a game, we always need the result of one calculation before we can start the next, so doing it on gpu would be much slower.
(04-07-2014, 10:35 PM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]GPUs are laughably slow compared to cpus. Running more things on gpu would cause huge slow downs.

I see. Yet maybe in the not so distant future GPUs will include interdependant calculations which will then definitely benefit Dolphin and emulation in general but that might be for many years to come. This could be revealed within integrated graphics on CPUs but I don't know.

So theoretically speaking, what would be the ratio or percentage of usage between the CPU and the GPU on Dolphin?
(04-08-2014, 02:02 AM)Amario130 Wrote: [ -> ]I see. Yet maybe in the not so distant future GPUs will include interdependant calculations which will then definitely benefit Dolphin and emulation in general but that might be for many years to come. This could be revealed within integrated graphics on CPUs but I don't know.
It's not about the gpu, it's about what kind of software is running, and what it needs. Emulators will never be able to run much on gpu without it being slower.

Quote:So theoretically speaking, what would be the ratio or percentage of usage between the CPU and the GPU on Dolphin?
gpu usage is pretty much entirely determined by IR and aa usage. If you turn them up high enough, gpu will quickly become the bottleneck.
Pages: 1 2