Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Good laptop cant play shine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
D3D9 was a development nightmare. Read some articles on the main site about it.

D3D11 is still very fast. The speed loss for using it on most newer hardware is actually a speedup, but some GPUs are different. Basically, at this point, you need to get hardware with better speed in D3D in general, or it'll stay slower for you.
Ok well I played NSMB, Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart DD and Sunshine just fine. I don't know what issues you guys were having with those games on D3D9 but I wasn't having any. It worked fine for me. Get D3D11 working faster than 1% and Ill consider it. Im playing D3D9 right now. Its working just fine.
If you can prove D3D11 is running at 1%, I'd be glad to look into your issue. D3D11 runs at about 75 - 80% the speed of D3D9 because it is a far more accurate backend with more robust features that allow for better emulation of the GameCube.

We understand that some users with older computers will be upset that they can no longer run the games full speed, but, http://dolphin-emu.org archive older builds so using them shouldn't be difficult. Yes, you will have minor issues in some games, but if they don't matter to you, then have fun!

Just remember, hard decisions are made throughout development, and ultimately the emulator's ultimate goal is to emulate it's target platform correctly.
I understand that. I do believe that D3D11 is probably much more accurate. If they didn't wanted to fuck around with D3D9 anymore and just stick with 11 that's fine. I don't have a problem with that. They should have left BOTH as an option, but only develop D3D11. This way people can still pick and choose. Obviously its running faster than 1%. I was getting in the 70s. I don't mind more accurate technologies replacing less accurate ones. But I don't think it should have been taken out all together. Theres nothing wrong with discontinuing further development of D3D9 and still leaving whats there. I hope D3D11 becomes faster.
Go read the article on the front page about taking out D3D9.

The way dolphin has its graphics backends is a global set of instructions to make each backend run in a similar manner to each other, taking into account the differences between them. The deva couldn't implement the necessary changes to OpenGL and D3D11 with D3D9 still in place because of how buggy and patched together it was.
I understand wanting D3D9 as an option, that is a very valid complaint. But I actually have an answer for you.

D3D9 doesn't support integer math at all; which is what Dolphin was moving to. Because there is a shared video common in Dolphin, changing everything to integer math means D3D9 will no longer function. Technically, it would have been possible to completely isolate D3D9's code or something, but it would have taken a tremendous amount of work, it would have received none of the upgrades, and become even harder to update and upgrade due to using completely unique code.

D3D9 was removed mostly because if it wasn't, D3D11 and OpenGL could not continue to improve. This was a difficult decision, and took months of thinking, working, and even going back on the idea once. But in the end, there wasn't enough interest in D3D9 to justify the absolutely huge amount of work, especially when you consider we archive older builds that still have D3D9.

tl:dr; D3D9 wasn't removed to force people to use D3D11, it was removed out of necessity.
If you'd read any of the articles you've been pointed to you'd know that was impossible. The shared code between all the backends can only use features of all the backends. D3D9 doesn't support integers, so Dolphin couldn't use integers anywhere in the backends, which is a massive pain when you're emulating a GPU which uses integers almost exclusively. There were other missing vital features too.

Double ninja'd.
Ok. So it was removed out of necessity. I guess if its gotta be taken out its gotta be taken out... I just hope D3D11 can be improved and sped up. Or is opengl any faster? Ill use D3D9 for now I guess... But I would like to see a speed up on D3D 11. hmmmm... interesting. I do see... Ya
OpenGL has improved a lot, D3D11 hasn't seen as much work yet. D3D9 is kinda the fastest not because it's more optimized, but because it simply doesn't emulate everything! But yes, more work will go in to make newer builds faster; step one was clearing the way so those optimizations could be made.
I understand. So which is faster right now? D3D11 or opengl?
Pages: 1 2 3 4