Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Extreme Memory Leak with Version 4.0+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have used Dolphin for 3 months now. It started off working fine, when my friend showed me this awesome emulator and all it can do! How ever, when I was able to play, I had Windows 7 Professional 64-bit as my OS. Now I have Windows 8.1 Professional also, 64-bit. After my fresh OS install, I downloaded all of my necessary programs and files to enjoy my computer to it's fullest. When it came time again to play with my friend, using Dolphin, it didn't seem to work (versions 4.0-299+). I didn't think much about it and we tried version 3.5, it worked perfectly for me. Yesterday, I tried to use 4.0 again, even after trying fixes like running as administrator, changing to compatibility mode and fresh installs, it didn't seem to work.

Here is what happens when I run Dolphin 4.0-652(used for SSBM):
Opens up perfectly.
Config opens fine.
Graphics opens fine.
DSP opens fine.
GCPad and Wiimote controller configuration windows cause extreme memory leaks. When I look at my task manager, I see that Dolphin is taking up over 1000MB of RAM PER SECOND! If I don't stop it in time, it crashes my computer. This also happens when I even just start a game.

I have done all I can do to my knowledge, but I'd like some input on fixes or bypasses to this, honestly BIG problem.

More information: I play using an Xbox 360 controller and Wireless receiver.

EDIT: Revision where the issue started to happen. Also changed the revision number for Dolphin that I use for SSBM.
Sounds pretty odd. If this problem was introduced in between 3.5 and 4.0, you should probably find the revision that first introduced the issue. This will help the devs fix it, if indeed it's a valid issue. You should test revisions by bisecting them (google it) so you don't end up testing thousands of revisions, but rather a dozen or so.
(03-10-2014, 12:45 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds pretty odd. If this problem was introduced in between 3.5 and 4.0, you should probably find the revision that first introduced the issue. This will help the devs fix it, if indeed it's a valid issue. You should test revisions by bisecting them (google it) so you don't end up testing thousands of revisions, but rather a dozen or so.

After a bit of downloading (only 16 revisions!) and bisecting, I found that it starts at 4.0-299. I would also like to point out that we use 4.0-652 because that's how we can play SSBM over netplay.
What do you mean "it crashes my computer"?
(03-10-2014, 03:14 PM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean "it crashes my computer"?

I mean it uses up all 12GB of my RAM and won't let me close out of anything. It just freezes my computer, which forces me to shut it down.
So you made sure the problem starts in 4.0-299 but doesn't happen in 4.0-298, correct? If that's the case, file an issue report here: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/list

Be sure to be as descriptive as possible.
Have you installed anything relating to directx or x360 gamepad, or changed any files related to those things?
(03-10-2014, 03:59 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]So you made sure the problem starts in 4.0-299 but doesn't happen in 4.0-298, correct? If that's the case, file an issue report here: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/list

Be sure to be as descriptive as possible.

When I was checking, I couldn't use -298 because of missing .ddl files. Which in -299 they fixed. Anything in between -291 and -298 aren't available or are for Linux.

All of my testing was done from this list of revisions: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/master/22/

EDIT: I submitted a report to the link you posted!

(03-10-2014, 03:59 PM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]Have you installed anything relating to directx or x360 gamepad, or changed any files related to those things?

I have directx things installed from various games that I have on steam. I also have installed directx manually, just to be safe.

As for the controller, I have installed the drivers for it, which were only to show you battery life. The drivers to actually use the controller are installed automatically by windows.

I have no changed any files related to any of those. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers that windows automatically installs when the wireless receiver is plugged in.
(03-10-2014, 04:07 PM)Boondocks207 Wrote: [ -> ]When I was checking, I couldn't use -298 because of missing .ddl files. Which in -299 they fixed. Anything in between -291 and -298 aren't available or are for Linux.
You can just use the dll files from 299.

(03-10-2014, 04:07 PM)Boondocks207 Wrote: [ -> ]As for the controller, I have installed the drivers for it, which were only to show you battery life.
Which driver is this?
(03-10-2014, 04:19 PM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2014, 04:07 PM)Boondocks207 Wrote: [ -> ]When I was checking, I couldn't use -298 because of missing .ddl files. Which in -299 they fixed. Anything in between -291 and -298 aren't available or are for Linux.
You can just use the dll files from 299.

(03-10-2014, 04:07 PM)Boondocks207 Wrote: [ -> ]As for the controller, I have installed the drivers for it, which were only to show you battery life.
Which driver is this?

Aw yes, I just moved the .dll files over (stupid me didn't think of that for some reason) and 298 doesn't work at all, either.

I don't quite know how I can answer what driver that is? It's the driver that just shows battery life. It doesn't have anything to do with making the controller actually work with the computer. THAT driver is automatically installed.

I would like to add that 4.0.2 doesn't cause a memory leak.
Pages: 1 2