Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Frame Skipper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm guessing there is lots of problems with the frame skipper since it's new, but I was just wondering what games you guys get improvements in.

Frame skipper helps me in:
-Mario Kart DD
-Wind Waker
Doesn't in:
-Mario Kart Wii

Am I doing it wrong? Tongue I have framelimit and throttle disabled, and watchdog i have kept at 60
(08-09-2009, 01:56 AM)THELUKESTIR Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing there is lots of problems with the frame skipper since it's new, but I was just wondering what games you guys get improvements in.

-Mario Kart DD
Doesn't in:
-Wind Waker
-Mario Kart Wii

Am I doing it wrong? Tongue I have framelimit and throttle disabled, and watchdog i have kept at 60

well, it does wonders for the speed in wind waker for me! It is so much more playable now!
(08-09-2009, 02:19 AM)roytheone Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2009, 01:56 AM)THELUKESTIR Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing there is lots of problems with the frame skipper since it's new, but I was just wondering what games you guys get improvements in.

-Mario Kart DD
Doesn't in:
-Wind Waker
-Mario Kart Wii

well, it does wonders for the speed in wind waker for me! It is so much more playable now!

would you mind posting your settings?
Wouldn't it be more intelligent to post games where it doesn't help? It should help all of them. You just need to know how much frame skip is needed, 1 means half the frames are skipped, 2 mean 2/3 are skipped, etc. A game than runs in 50 or 60 FPS will still look great when half the frames are skipped, (as 24 FPS is the minimum to "fool" the eye).
(08-09-2009, 02:40 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it be more intelligent to post games where it doesn't help? It should help all of them. You just need to know how much frame skip is need, 1 means half the frames are skipped, 2 mean 2/3 are skipped, etc. A game than runs in 50 or 60 FPS will still look great when half the frames are skipped, (as 24 FPS is the minimum to "fool" the eye).

I cant get windwaker to run better, but im trying something now that i hope will make it better

Edit: yeah it did, for some reason my other instalation of windows 7 was messing up the framelimiter..
Has anyone tried mario kart wii with the frame skipper?
(08-09-2009, 02:40 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it be more intelligent to post games where it doesn't help? It should help all of them. You just need to know how much frame skip is needed, 1 means half the frames are skipped, 2 mean 2/3 are skipped, etc. A game than runs in 50 or 60 FPS will still look great when half the frames are skipped, (as 24 FPS is the minimum to "fool" the eye).

how do u set frame skip like that
(08-09-2009, 03:21 AM)Shan29900 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2009, 02:40 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it be more intelligent to post games where it doesn't help? It should help all of them. You just need to know how much frame skip is needed, 1 means half the frames are skipped, 2 mean 2/3 are skipped, etc. A game than runs in 50 or 60 FPS will still look great when half the frames are skipped, (as 24 FPS is the minimum to "fool" the eye).

how do u set frame skip like that

with build 2949 or above you can go to the main dolphin window -> emulation -> frame skip
click on emulation tab and there is a tab that say frame skip and also frameskipping cant slow down games it skips frames
(08-09-2009, 03:26 AM)DragonSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]click on emulation tab and there is a tab that say frame skip and also frameskipping cant slow down games it skips frames

I've notice that it can slow games down. In Star Fox Assault it slowed me way down on setting 1 and 2. And on Mario Kart I set it to 8 just to try it out and it made it really slow, 5 seconds real time = 1 second on the games timer. However it is great feature. On Mario Kart on setting 1 the game is now playable for me.
(08-09-2009, 05:13 AM)dario03 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2009, 03:26 AM)DragonSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]click on emulation tab and there is a tab that say frame skip and also frameskipping cant slow down games it skips frames

I've notice that it can slow games down. In Star Fox Assault it slowed me way down on setting 1 and 2. And on Mario Kart I set it to 8 just to try it out and it made it really slow, 5 seconds real time = 1 second on the games timer. However it is great feature. On Mario Kart on setting 1 the game is now playable for me.

Lol, setting it to 8 makes it just shows you 1/9 (=11%) of the frames you would normally get. I can't think of any reason why you should choose such a high number.
Pages: 1 2 3