Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Frame Skipper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(08-09-2009, 05:35 AM)The King Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2009, 05:13 AM)dario03 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2009, 03:26 AM)DragonSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]click on emulation tab and there is a tab that say frame skip and also frameskipping cant slow down games it skips frames

I've notice that it can slow games down. In Star Fox Assault it slowed me way down on setting 1 and 2. And on Mario Kart I set it to 8 just to try it out and it made it really slow, 5 seconds real time = 1 second on the games timer. However it is great feature. On Mario Kart on setting 1 the game is now playable for me.

Lol, setting it to 8 makes it just shows you 1/9 (=11%) of the frames you would normally get. I can't think of any reason why you should choose such a high number.

I told you the reason in my post. It was "just to try it out", I wanted to see if the frame skipping did slow the game down. I'm guessing it did so because I had the frame limit on, so thats probably where some people are getting the slow down from. Runs almost normal speed with frame limit off even at the high settings.
I use frameskip on SSBM, works fine... And the throttle, well, I dont really understand what it does, cause when it sometimes gives more fps, sometimes it limits the fps too...
it does never slow down the game but decrease the number of real fps beein drawn.

example :

the fps counter (not useless vps) shows 30fps.

with frameskip 0 thats real 30fps

with frameskip 1 its 15 fps but the speed of 30fps
with frameskip 2 its 10fps but the speed of 30 fps
etc.

if it would slow down the game, the fps counter must decrease, and thats never the case.

in fact, frameskip helps on every game i got.

even those games where i can use high res and AA without loosing any speed profit by large amounts.

i get about 50% more speed with frameskip 1 and about another 25% with frameskip 3.

number one is useful for every game as still enough real fps remain most times.

the second one i use for like zelda tp in hyrule -> sluggerish but at least its not slow as hell anymore.

i can also recommend my patch here : http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-3435.html

with that, dolphin will only apply frameskip when its needed.

example : you need only 10% more speed for 100% speed, using frameskip 1 would be too much.

With this patch only that frames are skipped that are needed to reach full speed instead of every second frame.

This way you reach the best combination of gamespeed/fps.
Well I get a good boost in Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy.
When I set the frame skipper to 1 or 2 both games run better than before (about 10-15 FPS which gives me then almost maximum FPS ingame) and I don't notice the missing frames.

In The Conduit the FPS goes down, you can see it even without the FPS counter.

I wanted to try it with the Wind Waker, but to my amusement it already runs on max speed now WITHOUT skipping any frames and 4x AA, so I don't even need to test it for this game. Runs about 20FPS faster than in Revision 3789 (the last one I tested it with)
I did test it though in a part were I only got 34 FPS and it did improve it a bit. (That was just one part, so I really don't see why I should use the frame skipper for this game)

Also notice that watchdog is set on default and Audio throttle is ENABLED !
(08-09-2009, 05:47 AM)Iulius Wrote: [ -> ]it does never slow down the game but decrease the number of real fps beein drawn.
example :
the fps counter (not useless vps) shows 30fps.
with frameskip 0 thats real 30fps
with frameskip 1 its 15 fps but the speed of 30fps
with frameskip 2 its 10fps but the speed of 30 fps
etc
if it would slow down the game, the fps counter must decrease, and thats never the case.
in fact, frameskip helps on every game i got.
even those games where i can use high res and AA without loosing any speed profit by large amounts.
i get about 50% more speed with frameskip 1 and about another 25% with frameskip 3.
number one is useful for every game as still enough real fps remain most times.
the second one i use for like zelda tp in hyrule -> sluggerish but at least its not slow as hell anymore.
i can also recommend my patch here : http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/thread-3435.html
with that, dolphin will only apply frameskip when its needed.
example : you need only 10% more speed for 100% speed, using frameskip 1 would be too much.
With this patch only that frames are skipped that are needed to reach full speed instead of every second frame.
This way you reach the best combination of gamespeed/fps.

Thanks for the great explanation! Big Grin
When was this feature implemented?, i wasn't aware of it's existence till today.
Good Job Devs*
(08-09-2009, 07:33 AM)Diddy Kong Wrote: [ -> ]When was this feature implemented?, i wasn't aware of it's existence till today.
Good Job Devs*

it got added today Big Grin
the only games it will help are games were the gpu plugin is using a lot of cpu power.
can the frame skipper skip 0.5 frames
(08-09-2009, 07:44 AM)Chaoscode Wrote: [ -> ]the only games it will help are games were the gpu plugin is using a lot of cpu power.

thanks that helps ^^
Pages: 1 2 3