Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DirectX 12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I'm relatively new to the forum section, however, I've been using Dolphin for nearly 5 years now. I vividly remember the transitions of DX9-DX11 which Dolphin has went through. Each incremental upgrade resulted in a vast amount of improvements over it's predecessor. Microsoft has planned to reveal DX12 March 20th at the Games Developers Conference in San Francisco.

My question is; are there any plans to use DirectX 12, and if so, what kind of improvements do you think it would bring to the table over DX11 based on how previous updates have affected Dolphin?

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx
Well, DirectX 12 needs to be released first, right?
I guess we'll know on March 20.
(03-06-2014, 12:59 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Well, DirectX 12 needs to be released first, right?

Yes, I suppose it does. I was just wondering if the devs were aware, and if vast improvements were feasible.
(03-06-2014, 01:04 PM)KruZ Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I suppose it does. I was just wondering if the devs were aware, and if vast improvements were feasible.

I know neobrain is aware (and excited?) about the possibility of having Direct3D12 and whatever features/improvements it brings along. But, until the code hits the compiler, each of us can only speculate with varying degrees of accuracy on what the (possibly announced) new Direct3D API would mean for Dolphin.
it's like DirectX 11.2 PLUS POINT 8!!!!!
Just hoping they make DirectX 12 available to all currently supported Windows versions (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1). When they released DirectX 11 it was an exclusive "feature" of Windows 7, just to make people upgrade anyway. However, it's from Microsoft we're talking about, so, I won't be surprised if we must upgrade to Windows 9 (or whatever name it gets) to use DirectX 12...
Microsoft haven't released any information about d3d12, so there is no way to tell you.
Yay, GPU requirements are about to go up again!
IIRC they plan on removing CPU overhead so there might even be a speedup Tongue
Pages: 1 2