Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Recommend me a fast revision.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Particularly one that is fast that runs SMG well.

Also, I'm not sure what the technical term for it is, but why do the 4.0+ versions get audio lag when the FPS drops a small amount, when 3.5 doesn't? Is there some way to enable that in the latest revisions? Was that changed because it was causing some sort of problem?
1: We don't support older versions because they tend to have bugs that were fixed.
2: The audio lagging during slowdown was added because it was causing crash issues in hundreds of games and was not proper emulation to begin with.
3: No matter what build you have, you must use LLE audio in SMG for music to work anyway, so even if you did use it in 3.5, you'd still get the audio lagging on slowdown. And if you use HLE? SMG will freeze on Grand Stars. (Or was that Galaxy 2?)
As Dolphin progresses it is getting accurate to emulate which requires a powerful rig for demanding games such as SMG+LLE (hence the slowdown and stuttering) series. That was when HLE was being focused on as it made games run faster, but caused bugs in others. It is unfortunately that the current versions are on emulating real hardware, such as LLE audio and HLE was left out. (Sigh) Wish someone would make an HLE patch for SMG though. So your best luck is to use the lastest revision with OpenAL+audio latency option and lower any kind of IR, AA affects to decrease as much slowdown as possible or just play HLE without no slowdown at all.

@JMC47: AFAIK that bug is for both SMG1 and 2.
(02-17-2014, 06:18 PM)chaosblade02 Wrote: [ -> ]one that is fast that runs SMG well.

You haven't mentioned what CPU you've got.
If your CPU is too weak you won't be able to run games decently especially SMG 1/2. Whatever builds, fast or not, you'll be using
Latest dev builds are faster than anything post 3.0 for me.
(02-17-2014, 11:57 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2014, 06:18 PM)chaosblade02 Wrote: [ -> ]one that is fast that runs SMG well.

If your CPU is too weak you won't be able to run games decently especially SMG 1/2. Whatever builds, fast or not, you'll be using

I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, which is the most I can OC this CPU. I lost the silicon lottery and got a bottom of the barrel run of these chips. For every person who gets 4.7-4.8 on air, I figured there is someone like me who can't even boot past the bios at any multiplier that is higher. 4.3ghz won't boot even at 1.4 V core, but 4.2ghz runs at 1.272 V core for me.

(02-17-2014, 11:41 PM)cyrax33 Wrote: [ -> ]As Dolphin progresses it is getting accurate to emulate which requires a powerful rig for demanding games such as SMG+LLE (hence the slowdown and stuttering) series. That was when HLE was being focused on as it made games run faster, but caused bugs in others. It is unfortunately that the current versions are on emulating real hardware, such as LLE audio and HLE was left out. (Sigh) Wish someone would make an HLE patch for SMG though. So your best luck is to use the lastest revision with OpenAL+audio latency option and lower any kind of IR, AA affects to decrease as much slowdown as possible or just play HLE without no slowdown at all.

The PCSX2 devs found a happy median by including speed hacks which sacrificed accuracy for speed, and allowed the user to decide for themselves which is more important. I'm curious as to whether the Dolphin devs are heading in a similar direction eventually?
(02-18-2014, 10:46 AM)chaosblade02 Wrote: [ -> ]I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, which is the most I can OC this CPU. I lost the silicon lottery and got a bottom of the barrel run of these chips. For every person who gets 4.7-4.8 on air, I figured there is someone like me who can't even boot past the bios at any multiplier that is higher. 4.3ghz won't boot even at 1.4 V core, but 4.2ghz runs at 1.272 V core for me.

Mines the same Sad

4.3 ghz is mostly stable, but crashes from time to time.
(02-18-2014, 11:26 AM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2014, 10:46 AM)chaosblade02 Wrote: [ -> ]I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, which is the most I can OC this CPU. I lost the silicon lottery and got a bottom of the barrel run of these chips. For every person who gets 4.7-4.8 on air, I figured there is someone like me who can't even boot past the bios at any multiplier that is higher. 4.3ghz won't boot even at 1.4 V core, but 4.2ghz runs at 1.272 V core for me.

Mines the same Sad

4.3 ghz is mostly stable, but crashes from time to time.

I figured out roughly how many times its worth crashing your PC before you give up on overclocking further. Its about 80-100x for me. And I feel like that is way more effort than most would have gone to. I had to run multiple chkdisks and I also ruined my SSD in the process, and my HDD is on its last leg atm. I'm never going to do that again. And if I get another CPU similar to this one which has a really low multiplier dead zone, I'm probably gonna RMA it. People told me to up the voltage to higher than what would normally be required for a quick test run, which I tried several times, but 4.3ghz still wouldn't boot at higher voltage than what most people need to get 4.8. Even a 1.42 V core test-boot (no load) wouldn't get past the bios.
(02-18-2014, 10:46 AM)chaosblade02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2014, 11:57 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]

I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, which is the most I can OC this CPU. I lost the silicon lottery and got a bottom of the barrel run of these chips. For every person who gets 4.7-4.8 on air, I figured there is someone like me who can't even boot past the bios at any multiplier that is higher. 4.3ghz won't boot even at 1.4 V core, but 4.2ghz runs at 1.272 V core for me.

(02-17-2014, 11:41 PM)cyrax33 Wrote: [ -> ]As Dolphin progresses it is getting accurate to emulate which requires a powerful rig for demanding games such as SMG+LLE (hence the slowdown and stuttering) series. That was when HLE was being focused on as it made games run faster, but caused bugs in others. It is unfortunately that the current versions are on emulating real hardware, such as LLE audio and HLE was left out. (Sigh) Wish someone would make an HLE patch for SMG though. So your best luck is to use the lastest revision with OpenAL+audio latency option and lower any kind of IR, AA affects to decrease as much slowdown as possible or just play HLE without no slowdown at all.

The PCSX2 devs found a happy median by including speed hacks which sacrificed accuracy for speed, and allowed the user to decide for themselves which is more important. I'm curious as to whether the Dolphin devs are heading in a similar direction eventually?

I agree with you on this, leaving the option open for the end user to decide whether they choose to go for accuracy or speed should be implemented. Of course the whole point of emulation is accuracy, but nonetheless you would expect everyone running high-end rigs at their homes, (overclocked i5's and i7's for that matter) just for only one demanding game is unreasonable.
That's not how it works with Dolphin. If you want more less accurate but higher performance builds, just use old builds. Simple as that.

Of course, that's ignoring the tons of optimizations that have happened since 4.0, thanks in large part to removing D3D9. Dolphin is getting faster while retaining accuracy. Between old builds and modern optimizations, there is no reason for Dolphin to have speedhacks.