Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 4.0 - Choppy/Studdering Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
That´s what you get as "bugs" when using unsupported builds... And that asyncronous audio is not planned to be implemented again.
NJMike Wrote:Hello again. Is there a way that I can have the audio engine from r6515 work on 4.0?

No.
(02-10-2014, 10:57 AM)NJMike Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way that I can have the audio engine from r6515 work on 4.0?
No. There isn't any way and the old audio code will not come back. That already were discussed until the death, just search the forum and you'll see... You can also read this for more details.

(02-10-2014, 10:57 AM)NJMike Wrote: [ -> ]My CPU apparently can handle the emulator perfectly fine with its video and audio, as r6515 has proved to me.
No, it can't. If your CPU was able to do that, you would be able to use 4.0 or recent development builds without any audio stuttering (while using DSound/XAudio2). The games you're emulating may be running at playable speeds (50-60 FPS), but playable is different from full speed. In the old audio engine everything seems to work fine because the audio is async (this means that even if the game is running below 10 FPS the audio will not stutter). The new audio is synchronous since this is required for accurate emulation, and this is why it stutters if your system can't handle the game at 100% all the time.

Please note also that between r6515 and current revisions around 4000+ commits were made, most of them aiming at accuracy, as cost, Dolphin requirements are higher now and your CPU can't handle it. This also answer questions like "why <insert old revision here> run at full speed and current revisions not"...
(02-10-2014, 11:16 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-10-2014, 10:57 AM)NJMike Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way that I can have the audio engine from r6515 work on 4.0?
No. There isn't any way and the old audio code will not come back. That already were discussed until the death, just search the forum and you'll see... You can also read this for more details.

(02-10-2014, 10:57 AM)NJMike Wrote: [ -> ]My CPU apparently can handle the emulator perfectly fine with its video and audio, as r6515 has proved to me.
No, it can't. If your CPU was able to do that, you would be able to use 4.0 or recent development builds without any audio stuttering (while using DSound/XAudio2). The games you're emulating may be running at playable speeds (50-60 FPS), but playable is different from full speed. In the old audio engine everything seems to work fine because the audio is async (this means that even if the game is running below 10 FPS the audio will not stutter). The new audio is synchronous since this is required for accurate emulation, and this is why it stutters if your system can't handle the game at 100% all the time.

Please note also that between r6515 and current revisions around 4000+ commits were made, most of them aiming at accuracy, as cost, Dolphin requirements are higher now and your CPU can't handle it. This also answer questions like "why <insert old revision here> run at full speed and current revisions not"...

Ah, alright. I understand everything. Thank you. I just didn't know about the a/sync audio things and whatnot.
Pages: 1 2 3 4