Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 4.0 - Choppy/Studdering Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(02-05-2014, 11:41 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Try enabling OpenMP and the Vertex Streaming hack on the version you have installed

Also:
1) Update drivers, Windows updates, DirectX Web installer (may be missing some parts), Visual C++

2) Use the OpenGL backend on one of the latest dev builds, as it is faster than D3D. The current dev build is 4.0-797

I enabled those two and I have already been using OpenGL. My graphics driver is up to date. And I have no idea about the other things you listed, how to check them and their versions and if they need updates.

Nothing has improved, still.
Run CPU-Z while playing Dolphin, then post a screenshot here for us to see.
(02-05-2014, 01:13 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Run CPU-Z while playing Dolphin, then post a screenshot here for us to see.

http://gyazo.com/d3c849a54475f808eb368e80d2233d95.png
Yeah, your CPU is not Turbo Boosting. I think with two active cores, you should be able to Turbo Boost to 2.8 GHz. Are you using ThrottleStop as specified in the Laptop Performance Guide?
(02-05-2014, 11:02 AM)NJMike Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-04-2014, 01:23 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Save you time: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide

I did everything that guide showed and said, still absolutely nothing has changed or improved.
Are you sure ? It doesn't seem like you use Throttlestop to change your CPU multiplier from default value : 24 (24x99.77MHz = 2400MHz ~ 2.4GHz) to 27 (27x99.77MHz = 2700MHz ~ 2.7GHz)
The CPUZ screenshot show that your CPU is running at default clock 2400MHz ~ 2.4GHz (no turbo boost)
(02-05-2014, 03:10 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, your CPU is not Turbo Boosting. I think with two active cores, you should be able to Turbo Boost to 2.8 GHz. Are you using ThrottleStop as specified in the Laptop Performance Guide?

(02-05-2014, 03:13 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure ? It doesn't seem like you use Throttlestop to change your CPU multiplier from default value : 24 (24x99.77MHz = 2400MHz ~ 2.4GHz) to 27 (27x99.77MHz = 2700MHz ~ 2.7GHz)
The CPUZ screenshot show that your CPU is running at default clock 2400MHz ~ 2.4GHz (no turbo boost)

Yes, I had used ThrottleStop, but was unclear on how I was to modify it. I did it this time, though, using what Admin89 had said. Still, nothing has changed at all. Audio is still extremely choppy.

http://gyazo.com/5e381f0f511e8e7251ec7df0fa4e2799.png
Well, you're at 2.6GHz right there, I doubt reaching 2.7GHz or even 3.0GHz would make that much of a difference with the speeds you're getting. I think we can safely say this is a case of your CPU being inadequate for Dolphin, even for average games like SA2:B.
(02-05-2014, 03:58 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you're at 2.6GHz right there, I doubt reaching 2.7GHz or even 3.0GHz would make that much of a difference with the speeds you're getting. I think we can safely say this is a case of your CPU being inadequate for Dolphin, even for average games like SA2:B.

Understood. It did this for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as well, with the audio lag stuff.

Well, thanks for all the help.

I would have figured a powerful laptop like mine should be able to handle something as simple as Dolphin, if it can handle Crysis 2 decently.
NJMike Wrote:I would have figured a powerful laptop like mine should be able to handle something as simple as Dolphin, if it can handle Crysis 2 decently.

Hmm, looks like you fell for the old "my PC can handle PC games, so it should handle Dolphin just fine" fallacy (note you're really not the first to think this).

Modern PC games rely heavily on the GPU for the bulk of their performance, generally speaking. Dolphin, on the other hand, relies greatly on the CPU for the bulk of its performance. The GPU in Dolphin decides how high you can raise things like Internal Resolution and Anti-aliasing without having the GPU become the system's bottleneck. If your GPU is sufficient for your IR and AA, then the rest lies with your CPU. Turning down the IR to 1x and disabling AA will do nothing for you if it's your CPU that's the bottleneck. Even though PC titles and emulators may all seems like "games" on the surface, they're two different categories of software doing their things in two very different ways. I doubt you'll find any PC title that dynamically recompiles PowerPC code into x86/x64 assembly or translates GC/Wii Flipper commands into equivalent OpenGL or D3D calls.

While your laptop may be fine for modern PC titles, it's pretty weak for Dolphin. In fact your CPU is just about average when it comes to laptops in Dolphin and it's not even close to being one of the best performers. That may sound kind of harsh to hear, but most of us have been running Dolphin and helping others run Dolphin to know what's going to run well and what won't (plus we have a couple of benchmarks available if you're interested in the raw data). Dolphin's a demanding application; there's no way around that fact. That's the price to pay for emulating a complex console like the GC on your laptop.
Pages: 1 2 3 4