Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD A10-7850K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was considering it for an upcoming build but Anandtech's benches are very underwhelming. I think my laptop might actually be more powerful (see sig). If anyone owns this APU or plans to, I'd like to hear your impressions at least when it comes to Dolphin (PCSX2 would be interesting too). Can it handle something demanding like Last Story at full speed?
It can run all the games (I´m an AMD APU user too Tongue), being the most demanding slow as hell. To make things clear, none of the actual APUs (even the "strongest" one) can handle demanding games full speed.

Anyway, that depends on what you expect. If you are still happy running at half/more-than-half speed, then there´s no problem.
To run Last Story at full speed or close to full speed , you will need a CPU that is equivalent to i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz
Unfortunately , base on Dolphin Benchmark (Click on "Performance per MHz" to see OCed result) , A10-7850K @ 4.5GHz (OCed) is so much slower than i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz(stock) . FX-8350 @ 5.0GHz blow it out of the water and FX-8350 @ 5.0GHz is still slower than i3 4130 3.4GHz (stock)
Base on other benchmarks and reviews , Streamroller single threaded performance is almost the same as Piledriver . Therefore , current AMD is 4 years behind Intel in single threaded performance
>ever expecting an AMD CPU/APU to run The Last Story at full speed

We all recommend Intel CPUs here for the reasons admin89 mentioned. AMD's way behind the curve right now in terms of single/lightly-threaded perf – I hope they use some of their massive profits from the PS4/Xbox One CPU/GPU to fix that perf deficit.
Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware Dolphin finally had a benchmark thread.. Looks like I'll wait and see what Intel does with their future iGPU before I build anything
(01-26-2014, 02:35 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]>ever expecting an AMD CPU/APU to run The Last Story at full speed

We all recommend Intel CPUs here for the reasons admin89 mentioned. AMD's way behind the curve right now in terms of single/lightly-threaded perf – I hope they use some of their massive profits from the PS4/Xbox One CPU/GPU to fix that perf deficit.

Ive come to learn that even though its a good thing AMD has contracts with MS/Sony on those consoles, they don't get a ton of money off it.
They have however managed to pull of some profits in recently, finally.

Also to the OP: AMD is far behind on light/single-threaded performance, like everyone else said, but their desktop CPUs such as the 8350 work very well in multithreaded programs (video editing, compiling, compression/encryption, 3D modeling/rendering of said models (youll need a decent GPU with that), etc). So basically, its good at the stuff that consumers normally wouldn't do/ good with games that take advantage of more threads. Emulators such as Dolphin simply can't use more than 2 or 3 cores in a CPU without doing my harm than good to performance.
(01-25-2014, 09:41 PM)synce Wrote: [ -> ]I was considering it for an upcoming build but Anandtech's benches are very underwhelming. I think my laptop might actually be more powerful (see sig). If anyone owns this APU or plans to, I'd like to hear your impressions at least when it comes to Dolphin (PCSX2 would be interesting too). Can it handle something demanding like Last Story at full speed?

Your laptop is considerably better. You should get a iris pro machine if you really want a integrated gpu. Otherwise you could get a i3-4130 + a gpu
I really don't see the point in getting AMD APUs or CPUs when Intel's APUs are much faster, at least on the CPU side of things. Intel HD4600 is just as fast as any AMD APU Radeons.
(02-02-2014, 09:54 AM)drhycodan Wrote: [ -> ]Intel HD4600 is just as fast as any AMD APU Radeons.

Thought you might like to see this.

People get AMD APUs because they're cheaper than intel processors and have better gaming performance than intel processors in much higher price brackets, if you don't buy an actual graphics card.
AMD mobile Apus are much weaker compared to the mobile Intel CPUs. My laptop was on sale for 450$ and has twice the performance in Dolphin then a similar AMD one for
50$ less. Though the desktop ones are a ton better because you can overclock them for reasonable performance.
Pages: 1 2