Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: stilll slow even with a powerful pc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
dolphin runs slow on windows but not linux. by runs slow i guess i mean certain events trigger a slight pause or sequence of pausing and or skipping in the audio the fps also seems to drastically drop during this occurrence which depending on the game lasts from half a second to a few seconds usually. it happens more frequently and worse in gamecube games as opposed to wii. it is never random it is always at the same spots. here are my specs cpu fx-8150 3.6ghz octacore , ram 8GB ddr3 2133mhz (pc3 17000), gpu gtx 550ti, motherboard 970a-g43. i'm going to get a new gpu so i can raise the internal resolution but it is still slow at 1x so i don't think the gpu is my problem. the cpu should be powerful enough but i could overclock it to 4ghz. the ram or motherboard couldn't be the problem. i have a 500w power supply so it has enough power. windows and linux are both fairly new installs. linux runs on an older slower ssd but still faster than most hdds. windows runs on an hdd i have tried installing windows to 2 different hhds and had the same problem, however i don't think hdd speed has to do with it because i ran dolphin off of a flash drive along with my backed up iso image and it ran the same. also my v-sync is checked and set to on in the nvidia control panel but i cant get it to work.
Getting a new GPU will not do anything for you in dolphin. That GPU can do 4x fine, and even farther.

What you should be worried about is your horrible, horrible CPU. Not only is it slow, it's the slowest flagship from AMD since the original Phenoms. What you have presented is not a "powerful PC", it's a toy with lots of cores. There's not even a consumer-side program a considerable number of non-niche people would be using yet that uses more than 6 cores.

Overclocking that disgusting piece of poop that called itself AMD's supposed best even to 7 GHz will do you no good.

On that CPU, you can run Wind Waker with all of the speedhacks that speed up wind waker turned on, and you'd still dip below 100% occasionally (probably an exaggeration). Hell, my Deneb-based Athlon II X2 220 could outperform that CPU in single- or dual-core programs, at 3.5, my current OC, and that's not an exaggeration. Phenom II X6 (thuban) is known to be the slowest single-core performing range of the Phenom IIs. It is still faster than your Bulldozer.

/hatefulrant

All strong opinions about AMD's sudden inability that year aside, upgrade to an FX-x350 processor. I'd recommend the 6350 or 4350, since the 8350's another over-cored flaming piece of turd, and the FX-9000 processors are ridiculously expensive compared to the other FX-series processors, and also require motherboards capable of extremely high TDPs.
bms Wrote:dolphin runs slow on windows but not linux.

Then use Windows? I've been more or less an exclusive Linux user for over 5 years, but I don't hesitate to tell someone else to use what works the best or fastest for what they want to do. If Linux is performing sub-optimally, the best you can do is use something else. At any rate, which games are you trying to play? Depending on which games you're playing, it might not matter that your CPU isn't very good for Dolphin (light games for example, a la Wiiware such as Bomberman Blast) Also, did you compile Dolphin from source or get it from as a 3rd party package? It's possible that whoever gave you the binary messed it up.

Another explanation may be the fact that you're using D3D9 on Windows and OpenGL on Linux. With 4.0, you really should enable the Vertex Streaming Hack on 4.0 (not so much with newer revisions if you have up to date drivers).

@kinkinkijkin and everyone else for that matter (*cough*DJBarry*cough*) - Stop name-calling AMD CPUs or weak CPUs in general. You can get the point across to people without having to equate CPUs with fecal matter (like linking people to the two benchmarks we've made). Some CPUs aren't well suited for Dolphin, true. But that's not a license to go on about how "shitty" a CPU is.
no you both have missed the markers first off windows is the slow one NOT linux. second i upgraded from an amd phenom ii x4 840 3.2ghz quad core. i have done many benchmarks my current cpu is faster. passmark rates my current cpu around 7700 as opposed to my old one which they rated around 2900 my cpu also rates far over the i5 that is recommended to run games at full speed. to put the final nail in the coffin about my cpu i put it into a different pc and the games ran at full speed. also my gpu cannot do 4x internal resolution on most wii games it can do a maximum of 3x if i'm lucky but on most 2x is optimal. my graphics card has a substantially lower passmark then the graphics card recommended for 4x resolutions. however i do totally agree with one thing that has been said that it is ridiculous to have 8 cores i would rather have a higher clock rate and less cores but this is what i have and i know the cpu is sufficient for dolphin.
Hah. You really are kidding. The i5 (mainly i5-4670K) is more than faster compared to your current CPU. And if those "games" are PC games, you´ve lost the point there since Dolphin and PC games don´t behave the same.

Have you done the official new Dolphin benchmark?
actually according to passmark the processor you listed has almost the exact same performance. i just did a windows benchmark rated 7.7 out of 7.9 however the i5 might be better for dolphin if it's individual cores have better performance since dolphin cannot use 8 cores.
Passmark is bullshit. Theoretical benchmarks (passmark, hwcompare, etc.) are unreliable, because they give you a generalized score. Bulldozer processors only ever get marked well because they have more cores and bigger caches. Everything else might as well be fecal matter, because bulldozer is shite and you should've bought a piledriver.

Also, modern games have things to multithread, and use the GPU harder than the CPU. Expecting good dolphin performance because you get 60 frames in T:A is discouraged, as you'll get wrong answers.

(yes, I know that T:A does a lot more of it's simulation for graphics on the CPU. That's the joke)

Shonumi, I'm pooping on bulldozer. Bulldozer is more than just a step down from Phenom II; it's a BIG step down.
anyway i want to get my problem solved not talk about cpus because like i said i put it in a different pc and dolphins performance was great so it is not my cpu. also i'm NOT talking about computer games sorry for any confusion.
(01-24-2014, 07:00 AM)bms Wrote: [ -> ]anyway i want to get my problem solved not talk about cpus because like i said i put it in a different pc and dolphins performance was great so it is not my cpu. also i'm NOT talking about computer games sorry for any confusion.

Maybe the other PC had a Intel CPU? Those are much faster (everything since i3/5/7 2XXX is faster than current AMD processors IIRC.)
i put my cpu in the other pc.
Pages: 1 2 3 4