Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: G3220 or A86600K ..your suggestions ..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Giuliano

what is the best between these 2?
a8 6600k
or
g3220 (Haswell) + GPU

the choice is between these two because I found them at discount price

which GPU would you recommend to combine with the G3220?
(01-20-2014, 02:10 PM)Giuliano Wrote: [ -> ]what is the best between these 2?
a8 6600k
or
g3220 (Haswell) + GPU

Prices?
Well, that's a difficult one, in my opinion, as the A-series processors come with a GPU capable of actually doing things, especially compared to the Intel HD graphics GPUs, but the intel processor has more processing power.

Be wary, though, if you chose the intel one, because the GPUs in newer Pentiums are inadequate for most things, while the a8 has a GPU that's able to play video games at it's very most capable.

addition: er... actually, I just took the time to read what you said again. I don't see why you wouldn't buy a GPU with the a8, other than the fact that it comes with a whole 8570D WOAH (the d symbolizing what of itself it chokes upon when trying to do great things). I'd say get more powerful; if you're able to throw in a dedicated GPU with your $65 processor but not with your $65 processor, I think you should be rethinking your priorities. You should move up from pentium G to i3, at the least, if not i5, and still throw in some graphics, unless you're just using dolphin. For dolphin, the i3/i5/i7 GPUs are more than enough.

Giuliano

(01-20-2014, 02:43 PM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2014, 02:10 PM)Giuliano Wrote: [ -> ]what is the best between these 2?
a8 6600k
or
g3220 (Haswell) + GPU

Prices?

G3220 for 279 CNY ( about 45$ )

A8 6600K 549 CNY ( about 89$ )
$89? My god, what retailers do you have? It's $120 or more wherever I see it!

I can't form an opinion on which to buy because I'm a biased frequent AMD customer, by the way.

I think, though, that, since the A-series processors are derived (even if greatly derivative) from Phenom II (and the 6600K is overclockable!), and the G3220 is a pentium G, you should get the A8, or possibly even an A10-6800k/5800k, since it's obviously in your budget if the G3220 + GPU is in your budget. (I've seen no GPU worth buying to replace intel HD that costed less than $50)

Giuliano

(01-20-2014, 02:49 PM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Well, that's a difficult one, in my opinion, as the A-series processors come with a GPU capable of actually doing things, especially compared to the Intel HD graphics GPUs, but the intel processor has more processing power.

Be wary, though, if you chose the intel one, because the GPUs in newer Pentiums are inadequate for most things, while the a8 has a GPU that's able to play video games at it's very most capable.

addition: er... actually, I just took the time to read what you said again. I don't see why you wouldn't buy a GPU with the a8, other than the fact that it comes with a whole 8570D WOAH (the d symbolizing what of itself it chokes upon when trying to do great things). I'd say get more powerful; if you're able to throw in a dedicated GPU with your $65 processor but not with your $65 processor, I think you should be rethinking your priorities. You should move up from pentium G to i3, at the least, if not i5, and still throw in some graphics, unless you're just using dolphin. For dolphin, the i3/i5/i7 GPUs are more than enough.

Thanks for reply

I would not exceed $ 90 for everything (CPU + GPU)

I put them in a HTPC, we mainly watch movies, play some games occasionally, and dolphin in 720P (Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong contry ..) for my son

What do you think of G3220 + HD6750? (I'd still be in budget)
this solution is better than the A8 6600K?
(01-20-2014, 04:00 PM)Giuliano Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2014, 02:49 PM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Well, that's a difficult one, in my opinion, as the A-series processors come with a GPU capable of actually doing things, especially compared to the Intel HD graphics GPUs, but the intel processor has more processing power.

Thanks for reply

I would not exceed $ 90 for everything (CPU + GPU)

I put them in a HTPC, we mainly watch movies, play some games occasionally, and dolphin in 720P (Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong contry ..) for my son

What do you think of G3220 + HD6750? (I'd still be in budget)
this solution is better than the A8 6600K?

Way better. It's better for Dolphin and PC gaming.
If the A8 is overclockable, i say go for it, unless you can get a G3 with a dedicated card.
Quote:If the A8 is overclockable, i say go for it
Since the OP ask for Dolphin , not for multi-tasking . I say against it
Pentium Haswell is i3 haswell without Hyperthreading . Since Dolphin doesn't support Hyperthreading , it's meaning less to get an i3 for Dolphin unless you need extra clock speed (i3 has higher clock speed)
Base on Dolphin Benchmark , i3 4130 beats all AMD CPU in Dolphin (include FX-8350 @ 4.2GHz). If you get FX-8350 and OC to 5.0GHz then it may have a chance to be on par with i3
On AMD side , AMD 760K (Athlon) Richland is A10/A8 6xxxk Richland without Integrated GPU , Athlon has lower clock speed

Giuliano

(01-21-2014, 03:19 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If the A8 is overclockable, i say go for it
Since the OP ask for Dolphin , not for multi-tasking . I say against it
Pentium Haswell is i3 haswell without Hyperthreading . Since Dolphin doesn't support Hyperthreading , it's meaning less to get an i3 for Dolphin unless you need extra clock speed (i3 has higher clock speed)
Base on Dolphin Benchmark , i3 4130 beats all AMD CPU in Dolphin (include FX-8350 @ 4.2GHz). If you get FX-8350 and OC to 5.0GHz then it may have a chance to be on par with i3
On AMD side , AMD 760K (Athlon) Richland is A10/A8 6xxxk Richland without Integrated GPU , Athlon has lower clock speed

thanks to all for the answers

After these considerations

since it must be part of a htpc and consumption and heat generated are important
I'm more inclined to the solution intel

I found the G3430 (Haswell 3.3GHz) for 16$ more, do you think it is worth to invest money compared to the G3220?

in my box of old hardware I found a HD 5550 512M DDR5
you think is enough for 720p? (mario kart, DK country, new SMB)
Pages: 1 2