Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Crash when loading per game settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all!

So I recently found out that you can set your own settings for each game by right-clicking on a game in Dolphin, choosing properties and then click "change configuration". So I did this for my game NSMB with the help from this link: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...s-per-game and I ended up filling the game.ini config file with this:

[Core]
GFXBackend = DX11
[DSP]
Backend = OpenAL
[Video_Settings]
MSAA = 0
[Controls]
WiimoteProfile1 = Standaard

Saving the file was no problem. However, as soon as I start up the game, an error comes up saying "SetupWiiMem: Can't make settings file". After clicking OK on the prompt Dolphin crashes immediately.
I'm using Dolphin 4.0.2 on a PC with Windows 8.1 Pro x64, GTX 660Ti and a i5-3570K . Starting Dolphin up with administrator rights doesn't solve the problem either.

Can anyone help me with this? Sorry if it has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything specific to my problem.

Thanks in advance,

JohnnyGui
I'm a newbie as my title suggest, so I probably shouldn't comment. However I find it very strange that the it says this:
"WiimoteProfile1 = Standaard"
I would think it would be
"WiimoteProfile1 = Standard"
Is that just a typo on your end or does it say that in the config? It might not mean anything just thought i would point it out.
WiimoteProfile1 = Sideways => <profile name here, I think>
Titannous: I do have a profile named Standaard for the controls, it's Dutch Wink

KHg8m3r: I tried this but in that case when I start the game, an additional error comes up saying that it couldn't find the controls profile. I don't think that's what the OP meant in the mentioned link; he was just pointing out with the "<=" arrow that you can change the name "Sideways" to any name you want.

Anything else I'm doing wrong here?
Remove them one by one to find if a specific setting is the culprit.
So I tested each one on its own and it seems that EACH one gives the error and makes Dolphin crash. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. Do the lines have to be in a particular order? Any spaces or lines that I have to skip or lines that I have to add?? Note that the pasted lines in the opening post are the only lines that I have in the ini file.
Perhaps you are not using english letters? Syntax seems fine.
Maybe you can test it on your own copy of Dolphin in case you didn't? If english letters are the cause, why doesn't the other lines work?
(01-18-2014, 08:55 PM)JohnnyGui Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you can test it on your own copy of Dolphin in case you didn't? If english letters are the cause, why doesn't the other lines work?

Here they all work fine, it has either something to do with your global settings folder or with the letters you use. Make your dolphin directory portable, put it under c:/ and try again.
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/
Well, guess what... Today I chose to play another Wii game on Dolphin for which didn't set any game settings and it gave me the same error!! So I assumed that this must be a global settings error that is not just limited to games for which I have set per game settings.

I uninstalled Dolphin, removed the Dolphin Emulator folder in my Documents and installed Dolphin again (in the same directory: C:\Program Files\) and... now the per game settings works!! The weird thing is that it still works even after I have set the global Dolphin settings the EXACT same way as before so I still don't know what the culprit was :\

Oh well, good thing it's working now so thanks everyone for your time and help!

Sorry for having a question totally off-topic but I find this not deserving a totally new thread for it: Is it normal that I can export Wii saves (right-click on game -> Export Wii save) ONLY when I have launched Dolphin with Administrator rights? I remember when I used Dolphin 4.0.1 this wasn't necessary but now it gives me an "error writing to header" prompt when I try without any admin rights.
Pages: 1 2