Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [patch] 5x (3200x2640) and 6x (3840x3168) native IR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The need for this patch is mostly deprecated. Thanks to Rachel, as of PR 578, this functionality (and more!) is immediately available on master.

This is a patch that adds options to set internal resolution at 5x and 6x. 6x IR is as many pixels wide as consumer 4K UHD, and 1,008 pixels taller.

It is possible to easily add higher IR options, although it is somewhat messy. I would rather cleanly implement an option for custom IR multipliers.

Here are some comparison shots between 4x IR and 6x IR , downsampled to 2560x1440. Here is a link to the diff file .
Marked unofficial.

And while patches generally are welcome, before someone randomly commits this to master let me point out that we have no intention of applying this patch to master for usability reasons (and because having 20 options for this stuff is just dumb when one could also just finish the custom-efb-scale branch and fix the GUI for it).
That's a good stance, Neobrain. Something like this really doesn't belong with master, especially with how many options already bloat things up. Dolphin could have a much cleaner implementation for this than a case switch.

To clarify a few things about this, most players are unlikely to see much benefit. I see a marked improvement in some titles (particularly Wind Waker) at 2560x1440, but even then it's not particularly huge. Most games get a bit sharper and less aliased when rendered at such a large internal resolution, although your Average Joe running at 1920x1080 (or lower!) would have difficulty discerning any improvements, not to mention the fairly large performance hit that this would incur on a mediocre system. This patch is for players with high-end video cards that are driving high resolution displays (think 1440p minimum). There is some ePeen flexing to be had for bragging about rendering GCN/Wii games at a higher-than-4K IR, but it's not really going to improve anything in most situations. If someone has a system that would truly benefit from a significantly higher IR like this, then they can probably apply the patch manually.

I'll take a look at the custom-efb-scale branch and see what's going on there, but I absolutely suck at interface stuff. It wouldn't be a bad time to learn, though, I suppose. I've also had some other ideas about how custom internal resolutions could be handled, so I'll see if I can implement anything from scratch as well - no promises, though, and I work slow! I would love to see that case switch trimmed down while still giving more flexibility for end-users to adjust IR.
The branch is basically good to merge if you manage to fix the GUI to work with the new way settings are stored. We can worry about how to expose the feature via GUI lateron. It's a really easy thing to do really.
I have a few more screenshots that I would like to share for comparison.

1xIR. It is extremely ugly and shall not be spoken of again.
4xIR. Looking good already!
4xIR + 4xSSAA. Removes some jagged edges and gives a smooth final image.
6xIR. Holy sharpness, Batman!
6xIR + 4xSSAA. Unparalleled image quality. Sharp and anti-aliased. Killer of GPUs.

The Wind Waker sees an enormous improvement to image quality with a bump to internal resolution, while SSAA largely removes jagged edges but doesn't sharpen objects in the distance. This is likely due to the way that the Wind Waker appears to blur stuff that's further away, kind of like a pseudo-depth-of-field effect. If you really want to see blurry, just turn off the Scaled EFB Copy option!

These results are not typical for most games, although a handful of titles are likely to see similar improvements. Enjoy!
Any chance of putting this in dolphin 4.0.3 Please
No.­­
Why not it would be a great feature for extreme gpus' and for 4K resolution. Or a custom Resolution like PCSX2
Please read the thread. This has been answered already.

jesseinlivingcolor

Can someone please post a download link for this. I'd love to play in 6x Ir, but I have no idea how to add patches..
Pages: 1 2 3