Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [patch] 5x (3200x2640) and 6x (3840x3168) native IR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How would an OC'd 280X (core 1150Mhz) + 4670k @ 4.5Ghz fare with 6xIR on 1080p AND 1440p monitors? While you're at it I'd like to know how it would fare with 6xIR + 4xSSAA. Give it to me straight doc!
6xIR + 4xSSAA will bring any card to its knees. 6x IR by itself is doable on that card, but barely. Some games might struggle a little. Display resolution does not effect gpu requirements at all if you're setting the IR manually. I think you're better off doing 3x/4x IR with some AA personally.
(03-04-2014, 03:46 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Display resolution does not effect gpu requirements at all if you're setting the IR manually.

I thought it did. :/
Good to know the card holds up though, 4xIR by itself is plenty good for me but frankly I like pushing limits Smile

(03-04-2014, 03:46 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I think you're better off doing 3x/4x IR with some AA personally.

I doubt I can notice any significant improvement on a 1080p display anyway, why do you think 4xIR+AA is better?
Because once IR exceeds display resolution there is very little improvement from raising it further. For 1080p this is around 3x. And the primary improvement in image quality from raising it further comes in the form of reduced aliasing. AA solves the same issue in a much more efficient way. You can use more samples (and thus have less aliasing) with less of a performance hit.
(03-04-2014, 10:44 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Because once IR exceeds display resolution there is very little improvement from raising it further. For 1080p this is around 3x. And the primary improvement in image quality from raising it further comes in the form of reduced aliasing. AA solves the same issue in a much more efficient way. You can use more samples (and thus have less aliasing) with less of a performance hit.

Can't argue with that Smile
(03-04-2014, 10:44 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Because once IR exceeds display resolution there is very little improvement from raising it further. For 1080p this is around 3x. And the primary improvement in image quality from raising it further comes in the form of reduced aliasing. AA solves the same issue in a much more efficient way. You can use more samples (and thus have less aliasing) with less of a performance hit.

Do take this with a bit of a grain of salt, by the way. Some games (namely, Wind Waker) will continue to see considerable improvements by further increasing the internal resolution of the emulator beyond the native resolution of your monitor. WW's distant objects in particular become noticeably sharper as the internal resolution is cranked up, where I'm seeing solid improvements in image quality up until ~6x when gaming at 2560x1440.

Your mileage will vary greatly from title to title. Some games will look much better with the enhanced resolution, while others may see close to no real improvement at all. If you're not sure what looks best, toy around a bit! The internal resolution can be changed immediately without needing to restart a game. You can simply select another option through the dropdown and measure what sort of difference it makes.
Wind waker is probably the one exception since it uses a two pass rendering system to create the DoF effect. I don't know of any games that would see a similar benefit.
I don't know my way around this stuff.

Would appreciate it if anyone can upload a build with this patch applied.
I compiled a build with this patch for someone actually pushing 4K, if anyone's interested. It's a fairly recent build from master. I thought I'd share the download link since there have been a few requests.

Do note that this is pretty much a one-off thing.
(05-09-2014, 01:48 AM)Kodiack Wrote: [ -> ]I compiled a build with this patch for someone actually pushing 4K, if anyone's interested. It's a fairly recent build from master. I thought I'd share the download link since there have been a few requests.

Do note that this is pretty much a one-off thing.

dunno if its just me but there is no sound. how would i apply the 5x to a normal build of dolphin?
Pages: 1 2 3