Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Got an Alienware M18x R2...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Got an Alienware M18x R2...but Dolphin sucks on here lol Maybe my alienwares not good enough on here, but, ITS A GODAMMNED GAMING LAPTOP!!! It should run it easily. The game im trying to play is Sonic Adventure DX. but b4 i ramble on heres my specs since that why im on this section:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3630 CPU @ 2.4 Ghz (3.4 GHz with Turbo Mode)
RAM: 12 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660M
Dolphin version 4.0.2 Latest i think.

I think im Running DirectX 11 not sure if that helps or not. I dont know what setting i have to tweak to make it work to the way i want it. PCSX2 emulator runs fine on here. had to tweak it a few but it works. I THINK i have my CPU in Turbo mode, idk if i do cause idk if this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9nfpaiUCy0 tutorial worked lol. But what happens in SADX is that the main menu runs good but when it gets to the select your character and beyond, its slow. It should be running with ease, its a freaking gaming laptop.
(01-06-2014, 01:09 PM)Xipe Toltec Wrote: [ -> ]ITS A GODAMMNED GAMING LAPTOP

Just because a piece of hardware is labeled "gaming" doesn't mean it performs well.

And, while I'm at it, just because any piece of hardware is labeled anything, it doesn't mean that they can do that well.

Example: MSI manufactures a certain motherboard that's labeled as an overclocking motherboard, but the thermal solution for the VRMs is horrifying, and even a stock FX-8350 will make them nearly explode.

But, your laptop SHOULD be able to run some games at nice speeds with proper configuration.

note: "gaming" prebuilts focus heavily on the graphics, and just make it so that the CPU can keep up with the GPU. Dolphin needs what your computer is build to deny
(01-06-2014, 01:21 PM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]

Just because a piece of hardware is labeled "gaming" doesn't mean it performs well.

And, while I'm at it, just because any piece of hardware is labeled anything, it doesn't mean that they can do that well.

Example: MSI manufactures a certain motherboard that's labeled as an overclocking motherboard, but the thermal solution for the VRMs is horrifying, and even a stock FX-8350 will make them nearly explode.

But, your laptop SHOULD be able to run some games at nice speeds with proper configuration.

note: "gaming" prebuilts focus heavily on the graphics, and just make it so that the CPU can keep up with the GPU. Dolphin needs what your computer is build to deny
So it is good enough then and i just need to tweak my settings? i figured that because i ran crash bandicoot wraht of cortex and the graphics r a bit better then that of SADX and it runs very smoothly. Wouldnt happen to know what settings i have to tweak, would ya?
(01-06-2014, 01:47 PM)Xipe Toltec Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2014, 01:21 PM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]

So it is good enough then and i just need to tweak my settings? i figured that because i ran crash bandicoot wraht of cortex and the graphics r a bit better then that of SADX and it runs very smoothly. Wouldnt happen to know what graphics are good enough to run that game would ya?
Dolphin doesn't need a good GPU, it needs a good CPU. You have more than ample GPU for dolphin, hell, even I have enough graphics power for dolphin, and my card's four years old.

FOUR.

But don't take my opinion straight to heart as to whether or not you'll run well, I'm not experienced with intel stuff (the reason, according to all of my friends, is that I'm not well-endowned in the wallet area), so just wait for an opinion on that from someone who isn't making shots in the dark.
YAY! I got it to work faster! by right clicking the game and going to properties, and enabling VBEAM. But...It worked for like 5 minutes but then got progressively slower again. Right around when i started emerald coast level, it went back to being @ its slowest. I would have posted this on another thread in a different section but site wont let me for some reason.
then your "Gaming Laptops" cooling is crap and it's overheating
(01-06-2014, 01:34 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Follow the performance guide and then try again

(01-06-2014, 06:55 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]then your "Gaming Laptops" cooling is crap and it's overheating
Well if 70 degrees is overheating, than so be it lol.
(01-06-2014, 08:48 PM)Xipe Toltec Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-06-2014, 01:34 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Follow the performance guide and then try again

(01-06-2014, 06:55 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]then your "Gaming Laptops" cooling is crap and it's overheating
Well if 70 degrees is overheating, than so be it lol.
During normal use or while playing with Dolphin?
70 degrees is when throttling usually kicks in for alienware's horrible laptops. (EDIT: it's actually higher, but the throttling doesn't kick into the favourable direction until a bit lower than 70)

Really, don't you think there's a reason that competitive gamers of any game every recommend alienware without first getting a sponsorship from them?

Half of their price bloating is branding, the other half is the money they need to get from the consumer in order to buy out the entirety of MLG.

I've found that alienware computers can cost anywhere from $100 too much to $700 too much for what they are. Really, that's worse than apple, and apple at least puts together a decent product.
Pages: 1 2 3