Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Think this'll be fine for Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, Last Story, and Baten Kaitos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At 1080P / Full framerate?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2cZ7n

Thoughts? Will the motherboard suffice for overclocking?

My main criteria is that I don't want to constantly hear fan noise, so I plan to water-cool it in a few months, although probably stick with stock for the time being. I plan to repurpose old optical and hard drisk drives etc.

I don't want to overspend, but the power supply noise was big for me. I want as quiet a system as I can get. I don't mind saving money, but I feel like going any lower might compromise stuff.
Did you save your PC build? It doesn´t appear nothing but the options for picking parts (at least for me).
That isn't a link to your partslist. That's a link to the partslist maker.

Nothing can run the last story at fullspeed so go ahead and give up on that one. It will save you a lot of time.
Sorry, fixed the link.
Kingwin power supply? Why?

And what about cooling?
(12-02-2013, 10:19 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Kingwin power supply? Why?

And what about cooling?
The Kingwin seems to be very quiet and plenty powerful AFAIK. I did consider something like the EVGA 600B power supply instead and it does seem to save me some money, but I'm mostly just unsure about noise. I want to have as little noise as possible since I have some very high end audio gear I will be using.

Immediately I will just be using stock cooling and hopefully that will suffice for some dolphin games (maybe Baten Kaitos?) but once I scrounge up some funds I want to put together a quiet water cooling setup. I really want to know if there's going to be any case issues for a large radiator like the XSPC RX360. I've never done water cooling so it's all new stuff to me. Once I switch to liquid cooling, I want to have it running on the graphics card too.

Do you know an aftermarket cooler that would be pretty quiet and allow for some overclocking while I save up for the water rig?
This is the gold standard. There's another one that is bigger and quieter, but about twice as much money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835103099

ps: I despise what Newegg has done with the Amazon style model picker
(12-03-2013, 07:57 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]There's another one that is bigger and quieter, but about twice as much money.
Which one is that? Quiet interests me.
Virtually every HSF is dead silent if you just turn down the fanspeed to minimum. Everything else in your setup is going to be louder than the HSF unless you remove all case fans, use a passively cooled gpu, remove the ODD, use a passively cooled PSU, and use SSD instead of HDD for internal storage.

There are far better PSU brands that make quiet PSUs. Seasonic and corsair both make PSUs with very quiet fans that automatically shut down when the power draw is below 40%. You can even buy a fanless unit if you want zero noise.

Nothing beats a noctua NH-D14 as far as HSFs go.
The Noctua referred to by NV is the best one in terms of cooling and sound output. As he also said though, it won't be any louder than the rest of your computer. I've found the Hyper 212 EVO to be excellent for the dollars paid.
Pages: 1 2