Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need help picking out a laptop for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I've got about $800 that I'm spending on amazon, I never bought a laptop before and have no idea what parts are better then what.

Does anyone know of any laptop's that will be on sale this cyber monday (Windows 8 preferably) it will need to be around a 740 tag or some thing close to that due to tax -.-

Sorry if this is the wrong category or forum to post this in. I'm new of course.

Edit: Sorry if this belongs in the hardware hardware section, and why is there a rainbow icon on this post?

Edit:2 Or if you know of any cheap desktops, you could post that too. Really prefer portability though.

Thanks for reading.
i7 4700MQ + Integrated Intel HD 4600 combo then . Best option for non-gaming laptop (multi-media laptop) which can't handle the heat of both CPU and dedicated GPU
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-...=i7+4700mq
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Lap...=i7+4700mq
Depending on the games , Intel HD 4600 can handle up to 2.5x Internal Resolution (1600x1320) , no AA , 16x AF
You won't be happy with PC gaming performance though . Scroll down the page to see game benchmark :
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Gr...106.0.html
So are either of those laptops able to play games like OOT on dolohin? And maybe minecraft?

Since you say there not gaming, are there any gaming laptops around my range?

I'm new to laptops so I have no idea what a AA, 16x AF or intel stuff means. When it comes to processing, is i7 the best?
Quote: are there any gaming laptops around my range?
No , you need $1000+ (prefer : $1200 or higher)
Quote: When it comes to processing, is i7 the best?
Depending on which i7 you're talking about . Some i7 are even weaker than i5
Quote:what a AA, 16x AF
Do some research . Those options are in Dolphin settings : Antialiasing , Anisotropic Filtering
Quote: And maybe minecraft?
You're kidding , right ? Minecraft is not very graphically intensive game
So would those laptops you suggested be able to handle it well? And are they the sale prices?
handle what ? Intel hd 4600 can max out minecraft without a doubt
Cool, will I be able to play gamecube games on dolohin at the same level of graphics I use to on the actual gamecube or will it be better?

And if I wait until monday do you think I could get any thing more powerful then that for around the same price or cheaper?

PS: Thanks for helping me out.
Some games are more taxing then others on the CPU and GPU.
Most games will run with no problem, except for the most demanding games will have some slowdowns.
When admin89 says that you can handle 2.5x Internal resolution on some games, he means that you can run the game at 2.5x the original resolution of the GameCube games, which is greater then 1080p. However, some games are more graphically intensive, so you will have to go down in resolution to about 720p. But it will still look better than original.
Okay, thanks.

I am considering the lenova, does it really have 3.4 ghz or 2.4?
In the title it says 2.4 but in the description it says 3.4.
Ghz is the processing speed, correct?

Oh and can I use my ps3 controllers on virtually any emulator?
GHz is not processing speed. Hz is not a unit of speed or performance, it is a unit of frequency. In this case is refers to the frequency of the clock signal. Which does have an impact on performance but is certainly not the only contributing factor. 2.4GHz is the base frequency and 3.4GHz is maximum frequency with turbo boost. Your actual frequency will be somewhere between those two numbers depending on a number of factors. And if turbo boost is disabled which it usually is by default when you're running on battery power then it will only run at the base frequency, 2.4GHz.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6