Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well can this new iMac run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone. I'm planning on buying a new iMac in the near future and I'm wondering how well it can run Dolphin and how far graphically I can push it. Here's what it will have:

Model: iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) iMac14,2 ME089XX/A
Processor: 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz (Haswell)
Memory: 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Storage: 512GB Flash Storage
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

Thanks in advance.
Don't buy a Mac if you want to run Dolphin, 'nuff said.
While OSX has a host of issues (more than Windows or Linux) the machine itself is actually quite well spec'd for Dolphin, Anti-Ultimate. The OP can always dual-boot if necessary, but the hardware itself is pretty good in this case. At least on paper.

@AVCP333 - Which model i7 is it exactly? Also, which games are you planning to play? The GTX 780M should handle most games at 3x IR (which is actually larger than 1080p) with some AA (usually MSAA, though you might handle 4x SSAA in a number of games).
(11-27-2013, 05:20 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]While OSX has a host of issues (more than Windows or Linux) the machine itself is actually quite well spec'd for Dolphin, Anti-Ultimate. The OP can always dual-boot if necessary, but the hardware itself is pretty good in this case. At least on paper.

@AVCP333 - Which model i7 is it exactly? Also, which games are you planning to play? The GTX 780M should handle most games at 3x IR (which is actually larger than 1080p) with some AA (usually MSAA, though you might handle 4x SSAA in a number of games).
I know that, i was just saying that he can get something more valueable (and faster) with the money he would otherwise spent on a Mac.
@Anti-Ultimate - Already made my choice on the computer because it best fits the day to day work I'll be doing. On that note, would it be better if I dual-booted and ran Dolphin on the Windows side?

@Shonumi - I believe it's the Core i7-4770K. I'd like to play some Gamecube and Wii hits, most important ones off the top of my head would be Skyward Sword and Metroid: Other M. I'd assume that those would be two of the more graphic intensive titles.
I just went and configured your build with what you've told us. $3000 dollars is outrageous man. I mean, I just don't agree spending absurd amounts of money for a product you can build yourself for a hell of a lot cheaper and make it a hackintosh yourself(although I can't remember if making a hackintosh is legal or not), but if you want to waste money it isn't my problem. It will run dolphin perfectly, aside from OS X problems. It would be wise to dual boot windows to keep from having problems.
Trust me, I know what you're saying. I'm getting the base RAM and storage options from Apple and then upgrading those myself, so the final price comes in just under $2,500. Also, about half of the final price will be paid for, so my out of pocket cost is about $1,250. Which is fine by me. When you say "OS X problems", are those driver related problems? If so, then I'll definitely install it on the Windows side. Will there be a difference between running Dolphin on Windows 7 or 8?
With $1600 , you can build a faster system (much faster GPU) plus an SSD and plus a good looking small case like Bitfenix Prodigy mini ITX , iMac is overpriced
Quote:I believe it's the Core i7-4770K
I'm sure it's not ...
I bet they use i7 4770 . There is no point of using an unlocked CPU , MAC system is locked to the core anyway
If you build a system by yourself , you can overclock it anytime . Some demanding games require that much power ...(4.2GHz+)
(11-27-2013, 05:58 AM)garrlker Wrote: [ -> ]I just went and configured your build with what you've told us. $3000 dollars is outrageous man. I mean, I just don't agree spending absurd amounts of money for a product you can build yourself for a hell of a lot cheaper and make it a hackintosh yourself(although I can't remember if making a hackintosh is legal or not), but if you want to waste money it isn't my problem. It will run dolphin perfectly, aside from OS X problems. It would be wise to dual boot windows to keep from having problems.
If you buy the OSX disk (~£30), and in your territory EULAs aren't considered legally binding, then it's legal. In a lot of territories it hasn't actually ever been taken to court, so it's ambiguous as to whether EULAs are legally binding, but then in those territories you'd be the first person to get in to trouble out of thousands, and that's unlikely.

The worst case scenario is that you feel guilty for not giving the 17th most profitable company in the world more money, and have technically broken the law. The most likely scenario is that you get a faster, cheaper computer with no repurcussions
(11-27-2013, 06:48 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I believe it's the Core i7-4770K
I'm sure it's not ...
I bet they use i7 4770 . There is no point of using an unlocked CPU , MAC system is locked to the core anyway
If you build a system by yourself , you can overclock it anytime . Some demanding games require that much power ...(4.2GHz+)
Just looked it up, and it is actually the i7-4771.
Pages: 1 2