Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well can this new iMac run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yup , a locked multiplier CPU
Btw , GTX 780M is pretty much on par with GTX 760 . You could get a much better GPU like GTX 780 or R9 290X
I appreciate the build advice, because I plan to eventually build a gaming PC (probably in the upcoming summer). In the meantime, I'm getting this iMac for my job, and plan to use it for Dolphin here and there when I'm not working.
It should do ok. You'll want to dual boot with windows though. You'll get better performance and fewer issues using the windows builds. And you won't be able to OC the cpu.
I see where you're coming from. The people on this forum(including me) give build advice and don't like to see people waste money. So yeah, dual boot windows and you'll get a better overall experience with Dolphin.
Dual-booting Windows isn't entirely necessary; you'll only get a decent speed boost that might not be worth rebooting for depending on what games you're playing. I currently can't think of any major OS X-specific issues aside from Wii Remotes possibly not working on 10.9 (which I should double-check soon).
But d3d!
lolno, D3D is usually worse than OpenGL in numerous ways these days, even on AMD (as of the PinnedMemory re-addition in 4.0-414). OpenGL on Windows may of course be faster than on OS X, but Dolphin's D3D backend is *not* worth dual-booting into Windows for.
But it removes the stench of apple from your sullied clothes!

Spoiler:
Pages: 1 2