Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GBA Adapter netplay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Dolphin devs! I've had this idea/topic in my head for a while now. I would just like to suggest (if not already an added feature) the abilty to netplay gamecube games that implemented GameBoy Advance's as controllers ie Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adevntures. I've tried this before and it appears (to us) that there may be issues with using a gameboy controller for netplay (probably due to it not being supported really). I'm just wondering if the compatability with gba emulators for using gameboy's as controllers on netplay would be a possible feature in future dolphin versions, being considered at all, or maybe even in development. Smile Even if it's demanding it would still be awesome to have Four Swords be playable online if you have a good computer.

Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit
Processor/CPU: AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.01GHz
Video Card/GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800
Memory/RAM: 8GB DDR3
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: x64 Dolphin 3.5-2468
There an open issue for it. It's simply not possible yet. Maybe with a future update it could be possible, but right now it's not feasible.

I have done 4 player on one computer successfully though, so, it could plausibly be done full speed.
Actually, this has been done before, both with Four Swords Adventures and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (admittedly, the only two games that really work for Dolphin's GBA <--> GCN connection). You have to use a special version of VBA-M; have a look here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-gb...tion-guide. The instance of VBA-M can be running on any networked computer, as long as all of the instances of VBA-M can connect to the computer running Dolphin. The key is to change the IP address when messing around with Joybus options in VBA-M.

EDIT: Nvm, forgot that you can't see the Dolphin screen :p You could still netplay this way, you just couldn't see what was happening in the game.

EDIT AGAIN: On second thought, I suppose you could have people connect to the hosting instance of Dolphin with VBA-M, but also connect to that same instance with Dolphin's netplay spectators. This is a very convoluted and round-about way of doing things, but it should work in theory. I'm not an expert with Dolphin's netplay though, so I may just be doing wishful thinking after all.
Quote:but also connect to that same instance with Dolphin's netplay spectators.
It wouldn't sync.

The best you could do is stream a video of dolphin.
Just curious as to why it won't sync? Is there something up with netplay's spectator mode?
Because GBA input isn't handled.

I looked into adding support for that a while back, but could never figure out how gbas even worked at all :/
They don't really work. That's part of the problem. They work in one specific case and that's about it.
(11-23-2013, 07:24 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]They don't really work. That's part of the problem. They work in one specific case and that's about it.
Yeah, that's not what i meant.