Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin without Direct X
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, here's the deal. I know there is an old buried thread about this already ( See Here, and no my English is not sub-par), but bear with me since there was no progress gathered at the previous thread. At my High School we get given laptops for our senior years. Now these laptops aren't half bad, with I5 processors. I don't know much about the graphics card, because we don't have access to that kind of knowledge (or the commands to find them for that matter). I am completely locked out of system 32 so I am not able to install Direct X.

I am confident in the computers ability to run Dolphin, the only problem is that I can not install Direct X if it is not built in (which it is not). I know there is a guy (Here) who put up a version that has some things in it, but it was taken down because it was viewed as an unsafe download. If anyone is able to get Dolphin 4.0.1 (the latest version) then either paste it here or whatever you want. Even if it isn't the latest version, I'll be happy!

The error I get is 'XINPUT1_3.dll is missing from your computer', which is directly related to the fact Direct X isn't on my computer... Also, the computer I use is probably capable of running Dolphin so don't worry about that. So, anyone?
When you say, given laptops, are they yours to keep after you graduate, or are they loaned out to you?
Someone else ran into this problem a while ago, and decided to go the portable app way: http://portableapps.com/node/35614
Current dev builds have all the .dlls included with them *except* the xinput .dll. Try just extracting all the .dlls from the DirectX installer and tossing them in with Dolphin.exe and the other .dlls (use a dev build for this if you can't install 4.0.1).

As for sysinfo, if you just Google the model number of your laptop, you can probably find the exact CPU/GPU info. It's most likely just a lower-end i5 with the integrated Intel GPU (which is usually barely good enough for 1x IR, depending on the model), though – the school doesn't have enough of a reason (or cash hoard) to give hundreds/thousands of students a dedicated GPU and a faster quad-core.

Also keep in mind that i5 CPUs come in a variety of shapes and sizes, from my MacBook Air's wimpy i5-2557M (1.7 GHz/2.6 GHz dual-core turbo (this is probably just lucky binning or Apple's thermal design), dual-core with hyperthreading, intended for Ultrabooks and other low-power/heat devices) to the CPU most often recommended for Dolphin, the i5-4670K (3.4 GHz/3.8 GHz turbo, overclockable quad-core without hyperthreading, intended for powerful gaming/workstation desktop PCs). Just because it's an i5 doesn't mean it's perfect for Dolphin.
I'm developing the portable version KHg8m3r linked you, and here is the forum thread about it. I'm a bit busy at the moment to release an updated version (I'm planning in making this a official release at PortableApps, and I need to fix some things), but in the meantime, you should be able using the latest development versions by installing the 4.0 dev test 1 and then unzipping the updated version in the appropriate folder...

BTW, XAudio2 backend won't work without administrative privileges (even in the portable version), so, remember to change audio backend to DSound or OpenAL...
Okay, I'll just look into this...
Okay, well thank you all so much for your help, especially you Jhonn, your work on the portable version is Phenomenal and I thank you profusely for everything you have done to help Big Grin

Unfortunately it seems I have run flat up against a wall. I have successfully installed the Portable Apps program however the Direct X thingomajig is a bit confusing. I had to download the DirectX End-User Runtimes from the link provided on the Dolphin Portable Apps page, though it appears to be missing a good set of instructions, heh. I have downloaded 'DirectXPortable_9.0c_June_2010.paf' and 'DirectXPortable64_9.0c_June_2010.paf', as the other downloads linked through that page seem to be things like PJ64 and Visual Boy Advance. After that I ran both the .paf's through Portable Apps and it installed on the USB.

Paul suggested to "extract" the dll's out of the Direct X installer, but I got a pitiful amount of content out of the installers that were executed. Here is what was in the USB --> http://imgur.com/a/WSYoD#0 (excuse my terrible drawing skills).

Also, the computer I am using is loaned yes, I have to give it back to the school at the end of next year, with the conclusion of my schooling. In regards to whether my computer can actually run dolphin, it is a HP ProBook 4340s and the specs were the following:

2.3GHz Intel Core i5-2410M processor
3MB level 3 cache
15.6in (1366 x 768) matt display
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
4GB DDR3-1333MHz RAM
640GB 5400rpm hard disk
AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics with 1GB VRAM

So not terrible, I think. Anyway, I look forward to people replying! Big Grin
Sorry for the confusion Shibe, put DolphinEmulatorPortable folder inside PortableApps folder and it should work fine. It's a silly requirement needed by the PortableApps specification, but I'm planning to release a version independent of DirectX portable, so you can just put DolphnEmulatorPortable folder wherever you want...

With the current version, the folder structure should be
Code:
<root>
  └───PortableApps
       ├───CommonFiles
       │    ├───DirectX
       │    └───DirectX64
       └───DolphinEmulatorPortable
Well, as you can see I have already put that in there unfortunately (http://i.imgur.com/9xliubZ.png). When I run Dolphin it says I require Direct X when I really shouldn't since it is right there. Do I need to move the Common Files somewhere? Or is that it - is it a problem with my computer?

Well if this is how it is supposed to work, then I guess I will wait for your version without Direct X Big Grin There's always next year I guess...
Oh well, another issue with PortableApps.com spec Angry It works if you have the complete suite installed, but it's bloatware for most of Dolphin users...

I'll take a look, but please note that even if I drop the need for DirectX Portable, Dolphin would still require DirectX (the portable launcher will take care of it in this case)

EDIT: from now, use this launcher. There is no need for DirectX Portable, but you'll need an internet connection during the install as the needed DLLs will be downloaded at install time (after that you can put the "DolphinEmulatorPortable" folder wherever you want).

Also, you should use only DSound or OpenAL audio backend in the Portable launcher, XAudio2 requires registering a DLL and this can't be done without administrative privileges, so, XAudio2 backend in the portable version will only work if it was already installed locally in the machine you're using (which doesn't seem to be the case, seen that your school laptop lacks even XINPUT1_3.dll)
Actually, there could be a way to launch a Non-D3D/Non-DX Dolphin version.

Good news: it could work with PCs that don´t have Direct3D (for some reason it wasn´t installed by a failure).

Bad news: It would only work good with GC games that have lots of 2D textures and VERY simple graphics.

If DX can´t be used at all, then the Windows GDI would be forced to work (of course, Dolphin users would have to deal with the shitty graphics that could generate).
Pages: 1 2