Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin without Direct X
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(11-20-2013, 07:57 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]If DX canĀ“t be used at all, then the Windows GDI would be forced to work (of course, Dolphin users would have to deal with the shitty graphics that could generate).

Wrong again: DirectX apps only fall back to GDI if they were programmed with such fallback feature (until now, the only app I saw with this feature was the Windows version of Bejeweled 3 game from PopCap). And I'm pretty sure this isn't the case for Dolphin. Just launch Dolphin without the needed DX DLLs and all you'll get when trying to boot a game will be a nice black screen followed by a "Failed to load a compatible DirectX library" error and a "Dolphin was stopped working properly" crash...

From now, the online installer I pointed to Shibe should handle his needs until I get free time to push an updated version of the launcher. BTW, I forgot to say that you can use the latest development versions with this launcher by unpacking the downloaded file from Dolphin site inside DolphinEmulatorPortable\App\Dolphin (or DolphinEmulatorPortable\App\Dolphin64 for x64 version)...
Well, it worked like a charm! I've only tried Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on it and the computer runs it pretty well. Thanks a lot for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

Good luck making the proper portable version and anything else you want to do, and thanks again!
In my experience you could have just copied the DLLs that Dolphin complains about from another PC into the Dolphin directory. This won't really allow you to use said functions but it'll shut Dolphin up enough that you can launch a game just fine with OpenGL.
It hasn't for me in the past. It's not thrown the x.dll and y.dll not found errors, but still gives the program failed to start 0xc000007b error.
In fact, what the Portable Launcher does is carrying the needed DLLs with it, but it also handle directory paths and other things (like being compatible with the other PortableApps suite things, language switching, menu integration, backup, etc)...

If you got the 0xc000007b error, then you may have placed x86 DLLs next to a x64 Dolphin.exe or vice-versa
I tried the 64 bit dlls and the 32 bit ones after they failed. Your portable version works, though, so there's no need to pursue this further.
Pages: 1 2